Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I couldn't watch the first three stages and it seems like I actually missed quite a bit. Well done, England. Also well done Mr. Nice, not only is the OP phenomenal but your catch-up posts make it really easy to, uh, catch up.

Couple of days late, but during the first stage people itt were talking about Merckx winning all three major classifications in 1969. Anyone know how much the stage setup factored into that? I'm asking because at this year's Giro they had an intermediate sprint IIRC right after the descent from the Stelvio Pass, meaning that the sprint points were effectively wasted. If you pulled a lot of nonsense like that you could get probably get someone in contention for points and king of the mountains even today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Mr.Nice posted:

Froome just crashed.

And this time I saw it. I saw everything, hnngh *lights a cigarette*

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

BTW, the guys on German Eurosport were pretty openly doubting that Andy pulled out only because of the crash. "Didn't actually look too bad" etc. They stopped short of outright calling him a quitter though

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Xabi posted:

Unfortunately unable to watch this. Did Froomeyboi fall on the pave? Have they even reached the cobbles yet?

That's tomorrow. Froome fell on regular asphalt.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I'm so goddamn hype for the cobbles I can hardly contain myself

lol, that's a nice run up to the finish

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

GodDAMN this is crashy

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Froome down again. rip

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

If Froome abandons before the first pavé I will do some serious hearty lols

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Smirr posted:

If Froome abandons before the first pavé I will do some serious hearty lols

lmao

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

IndustrialApe posted:

Last year we got echelons that created an upset, now we get normal weather conditions for northern france that created one. It appears that mountain stages and time trials are the boring stages these days.

I hope the Vosges will be crazy. Maybe Voeckler could do a thing

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Pierre Rolland has a UTI haha. Enjoy those cobbles!

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Wow, Taaramäe looks really scared.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

That was one aesthetic crash.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Dumoulin is down as well, at least he didn't have to fall very far

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Squid Fingers posted:

have they said why a section of cobbles have been withdrawn?

It was/is underwater pretty much.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Lars Boom has got this

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Bit of a shame that Cancellara couldn't do more, but that was an amazing stage regardless. I hope the Tour organizers don't get second thoughts about including cobbles, it really was the rain that did most of the damage.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

glyph posted:

Couldn't pay a whole lot of attention here at work.

C/D: Froome slammed before he even rode a pave sector.

Confirm. He crashed twice before he got to the cobbles.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

The peloton really cant ride in the wet.

Yeah. I have no idea what even happened there.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

RIP Kittel

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

German supremacy. Deutschland über alles IMO

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Am I crazy, or did they not pick up coverage until the second half of the stage? Watching the British EuroSport stream, if it makes a difference.

If I'm not mistaken the feed always starts at 14:15 CET. For stage 4 this meant you got to see practically the complete stage, for long stages like today it means you miss a lot of kms, but nothing much happens there anyway.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

That Israel tourism ad on Eurosport is pissing me off something awful. "Once in a lifetime be at the places... where it all began". That's Africa, mates

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Every crash is dumber than the last.

Jesus, that's some pace up front

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Never stop your retarded attacks, Team Europcar.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

I love Europcar. Not a stage goes by when they do something ridiculous thats never going to work.

Yeah same, they're my favorite team.

Lol goddamn, all that work from Sagan for nothing.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Talansky missed the guy coming from his left I think. Might want to have more situational awareness if you're going to sprint needlessly.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Blel Kadri is killing it. But I can't see him putting in that kind of work for two more climbs.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

That descent into fog lol. Jesus Christ

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

lmao don't steal that chair, Jakob

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Hahaha Talansky down again. Owned

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Pocket posted:

Nibali just givin Contador the death stare!

It's hilarious.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I'm so glad Froome broke both of his hands.

Also Blel Kadri rode straight into my heart today. That smile... (no homo)

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

I just want to see a Europcar rider just go for it after the final climb and ultimately get reeled in with 300 meters to go.

They've got 5 riders in the chasing group, outlook: great

this is also great

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I always like Tony Martin's effortface. It's so unaesthetic it loops back around.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Don't celebrate 2,5 km out, my heart can't take this

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

What. a. ride. Incredible

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Goddammnit, of all the stages to miss I miss this one. Stop showing wrestling, Eurosport, I want to see the rerun.

Here's another picture of Sagan doing a thing:

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

IndustrialApe posted:

Machado is my rider of the day:
He fell, gave up, spend time in the ambulance, got out of the ambulance, stepped on his bike and got riding again. He finished the stage, but missed the time limit by 10 minutes. :smith:

...but then the jury showed clemency and said "You will live and ride another day!" :unsmith:

I am gonna root for him the rest of the tour now that Ted King is gone.

That was insane to follow on Twitter. No one knew what was going on. Glad the jury decided to not be dumb for once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Hey, you guys wanna see Europcar's Quéméneur and Réza make bedroom eyes at a cycling themed bottle of beer? you're in luck