Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

#racereporterruby is the best thing to happen to the Tour of California.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

That was solid awareness by whoever that last quikstep leadout guy was, letting Gaviria around while blocking Ewan.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

You weren't a Phinney fan before?

All he has to do now is a 4k pursuit, which is his thing.

bicievino fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 2, 2017

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Pull a foot and still win the sprint goddamn.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

serious gaylord posted:

People have done much worse in sprints and gotten away with it.

Did Abduzhaparov* ever get disqualified. My only memory of him is "sketchiest sprinter in the Tour".

*Yes of course I had to Google how to spell his name but no I was too lazy to answer my own question.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Womens racing, when available, is awesome. The womens cyclocross world cup last year was miles more entertaining to watch than the mens racing.
I'd love to see a full length (not necessarily full distance, just time/days) womens tour.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

What is up with this lame rear end commentator for the Hoogerheide world cup race?

He sounds bored and he's making me bored.

(I mean, okay, yeah, the men's race is legitimately boring, but still, his job is to make it less boring not more)

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Wtf De Marchi.

Unrelated: the light blue on the new BMC kit reminds me of underpants. Looks like Superman.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Miserable weather for Trofeo Binda, but rad racing. Happy to get live coverage on Eurosport for womens' world tour racing.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Apparently the women's race was amazing but of course they didn't bother broadcasting it.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Just lol that they spent all day (until they got to the loving mountain) saying Froome was finally looking good and managing his fitness.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I'm not really sure overall average speed is the metric to look at for evidence of doping.

Average speed up categorized climbs seems like it would be a lot more of an indicator.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Skarsnik posted:

Tdf '17 - crash stage 4
Abu dhabi '18 - crash before stage one
Tirreno-Adriatico '18 - crash during the opening TTT
Milan-San Remo '18 - bollard before the poggio

Every one a race ender

Poor cav :(

That's not even counting all the other riders he's crashed out with his unsafe racing.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

:flaccid:

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

goatface posted:

I always understood a Fred as someone whose equipment far exceeds their ability. But I think it's interpretive.

This is the modern usage I've heard, but back in the day it referred to the type of folks who would roll around with triple-wrapped handlebars and three mirrors and a reflective safety vest.

So essentially a Fred is anyone you feel like mocking regardless of why.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

TobinHatesYou posted:

That is on ugly bike with random kinks in both triangles. It looks like something Hongfu or Dengfu would make.

In this case I think kinkshaming is acceptable.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I'm last season's water bottle.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Highly suggest watching the women's Vlaamse Druivencross.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Flayer posted:

Incredible what Team Sky have achieved in their relatively short time as a team. If they are broken up next year they leave behind an unmatched record of success. What is particularly impressive about their success is that they achieved it cultivating riders from a country with a rotten record in grand tours so they were coming in to build from the ground up.

I agree, it's not credible.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

2018 CX nats v2: why even bring a bike?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

paddyboat posted:

Curtis White crashed into my balls on the big slippy downhill first lap and I’m glad he came in second because of it.

It was hard to even walk around much less race a bike. Good times

Hot.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

VacaGrande posted:

That actually wasn't the worst the course was... they opened up a couple of untouched parallel sections on Sunday for the elites. The day before in the SS race it was even worse. I was working the pits for a couple of races and the mud almost came up over my rain boots in a few spots. It was just insane. Incredible experience to watch though and really gives you a perspective for just how good the pros are as far as what they can ride at what speed.

Yeah, I posted that during the SS race. That looked insane.

Would've loved to see it in person - looking forward to next year.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

:yeshaha:

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Trofeo Laigueglia was outstanding, too. And yes, I had to check three times on how to spell that.

On the flip side, first women's race of the European road season starts tomorrow and there's loving nothing for coverage as far as I can see.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Grimson posted:

I looked for the starting list yesterday and drew a blank, even as the teams were up on the stage for their presentation.

Turns out I was wrong, they do have livestreaming on YouTube.
I missed it live today but I'll know for tomorrow. :)

https://youtu.be/XJKdRjLyV6M

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

serious gaylord posted:

They've won every single one day so far right?

Assuming you mean World Tour one day races, yes, but there's only been 3 of them.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Never apologize, Elisa. gently caress that chapter2 bike, reading is for nerds.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

ASO is a sack of poo poo

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Anyone know if the women's Tour of Yorkshire is going to have live video coverage anywhere?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Smirr posted:

Yesterday's stage of the ToC had a :discourse: scene where Hoehn, wearing the jersey of the American champion, just dumps multiple fistfuls of trash out into nature. Lol

lol

e: oh, it's the national team. nevertheless,

He is the U23 national champion, so you're not the wrongest

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Hello, it's another start to a Women's World Tour race that won't be live streamed and what's that, yep, it's put on by famously lovely misogynistic organization, ASO.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

OMGVBFLOL posted:

i would like to know more

womens' hockey fuckin rules in part because everyone has had a massive chip on their shoulder their entire lives. is women's cycling like that too?

Kinda. Women's pro racing is way more unpredictable than men's. I don't know enough to say with certainty why that is, but you see way less formulaic and predictable "long breakaway for tv coverage, caught by one big train with 10km to go, sprint finish with big leadout".
It's super exciting, but because there isn't a proven media market, only a handful of races get streamed. Which makes it hard to prove there'd be any viewership. It gets framed as this unresolvable catch 22 when in reality ASO could snap their fingers and make it happen. It's expensive to do live (you need a helicopter or plane), but they could at the least do tape-delay and still get the full race out after.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Giro Rosa stage 1 show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXk4OqA-uvo&feature=youtu.be

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Feels Villeneuve posted:

in shocking TDF news, we haven't had a "real" stage yet and a French pre-race favorite and Richie Porte are already almost out of contention

I, for one, am SHOCKED

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

oystertoadfish posted:

yeah i was gonna ask, did that stage just kinda reaffirm things we already knew?

the dutch team stringing their guy's lead out for another day was pretty cool i spose, but i take it there aren't any real challengers there

WOUT

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Last stage of Colorado Classic on now. What will Chloeeeee do today?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Chloweeeeeeee

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Skarsnik posted:

Could he not just stop being such a big baby and ride a bike fast :thunk:

We're talking about bike racers here. The very very best we can hope for is that he rides a bike fast while also being a big baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Title for the new thread (someone maek pls)

re Dennis:
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bahrain-merida-terminate-rohan-dennis-contract-with-immediate-effect/

This has it that he had an offer from CCC but he felt it was too low. Probably going to be even lower now he's a free agent

This is good but why would we waste the new thread talking about a bunch of has-beens. New thread is all about Quinn and Remco's excellent adventures.