Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Smirr posted:

In hindsight, "anyone but Nibali" is a dumbass hope to have when the top alternatives are two guys with no team and Valverde

For me it was anyone but Astana, I know Sky Hate is en vogue here but my hate for Astana burns brighter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Pocket posted:

Have you ever thought hating simultaneously Katusha, Astana, and Sky?

add etixx-quickstep to the mix and we have a deal.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

serious gaylord posted:

Also huge lol at Movistar having a big cry because they have a poo poo team and can't deal with crosswinds.

this has been happening 3 times in recent years right? you'd think they start training for them.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

The correct decision is the one that will result in the most headlines.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Was that a Chorus of boos at the announcement of the results?

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

If anything the loser of yesterdays antics is Mollema who was doing fine and is now still behind Quintana who was having an off day.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Quintana had the most blatant mechanical doping yesterday.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

peanut- posted:

I may have been a bit hasty with that. They've all blown up and Sky still have 3 domestiques looking unbothered, jesus.

35 Million Euros, more than any other team, will buy you that kind of help.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

peanut- posted:

Diego Rosa was hammering the pace for Astana yesterday and when he finally dropped off the commentators mentioned "he's joining Sky next year" and it kind of drove home the point that they've broken this race with money, regardless of anything else.

..and this is exactly what happened during the Armstrong years as well, if you were a promising prospect that might challenge Lance in the coming years, you got scooped up and set to work for him. People are now realising that this is as much of a problem as doping, which is good.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Smirr posted:

German Eurosport commentators already talking about their banana eating schedule 15 minutes into the broadcast

the belgians used to be great for restaurant tips in any spot they visited.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

in other dope news, Leontien van Moorsel is now under suspicion for the use of EPO during her career.
Not surprising and only a matter of time. She came up during the late 1980s and there were some suspicious deaths among her peers during that era that are now linked to improper use of EPO.

let's finish with a topical song in spanish:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiCH64c6KSw

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

cocaine is a hell of a drug?

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

BabyFur Denny posted:

Who is the last Tour de France winner that was never involved in any serious doping allegations? Can’t come up with anybody, must’ve been before my time (which started with Indurain)

Indurain is not squeaky-clean, but he doesn't draw attention to himself and that's a huge contributing factor to his image.
The great Merckx got caught in 1969 using an amphetamine in the Giro.

Charly Gaul won before there was any testing for performance enhancing drugs, but he was a notorious tweaker and his domestiques feared he would die.
He spent the better part of his live in a hut in the woods after his retirement because he went a bit loopy.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

I'm not gonna celebrate someone ruining his health even more for our entertainment, he just confirms that professional-sports are an exploitative place filled with crazy folk.
His directeur sportif should've removed him from the race, but gotta have those human-interest eyeballs for the sponsor.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

African AIDS cum posted:

Those Dutch speed skaters winning every medal at the olympics was really shady.

While the revelation about doping is a dull surprise to me (there was a lot of overlap between the pro-hopeful speed-skaters and cyclists in my hometown, most of them got busted for dope), part of the Dutch winning everything in speed-skating has always been "no one else takes this poo poo seriously, so we win it all by virtue of being the only serious competitor".

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Is it me or are the fatal heart attacks and heart diseases among the younger end of the cycling spectrum going up again in the past few years?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/jimmy-duquennoy-dies-aged-23/
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/heart-problems-force-neo-pro-tanguy-turgis-into-early-retirement/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

I'm wondering if we will finally get to know the footballers that were involved (we won't).