Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Mr.Nice posted:

CF: Inhalers are not performance enhancing; if any normal person who doesn’t have asthma takes an inhaler, they’re not going to ride any faster.

This is true,

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2439523/

quote:

Numerous studies have investigated the effect of inhaled β2-AR agonists in non-asthmatic athletes. However, although all demonstrated a bronchodilator action (Morton and Fitch, 1992; Norris et al., 1996; Larsson et al., 1997; Goubault et al., 2001), there were varying effects on physical performance. After inhalation of therapeutic doses of salbutamol, a limited number of studies have reported an increase in exercise performance (Bedi et al., 1988; Signorile et al., 1992; van Baak et al., 2004), whereas the majority of studies failed to demonstrate an ergogenic effect (Morton and Fitch, 1992; Norris et al., 1996; Goubault et al., 2001). Furthermore, although a small increase in endurance cycling performance was reported after inhalation of a supratherapeutic dose (800 μg) of salbutamol (van Baak et al., 2004), a similar dose had no effect on endurance performance in non-asthmatic triathletes (Goubault et al., 2001). The few studies that investigated the effects of other inhaled β2-AR agonists have also failed to demonstrate an effect on performance despite an improvement in lung function (Larsson et al., 1997; Carlsen et al., 2001; Riiser et al., 2006). Overall, the acute use of the current inhaled β2-AR agonist anti-asthma medications by non-asthmatic or asthmatic athletes seems unlikely to provide any improvement in performance in addition to that provided by the control of their condition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

krushgroove posted:

Although, to be fair, outside of Yorkshire there's no mention of the race in local towns and whatnot

Plenty of mentions in Cambridge, loads of people out today

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Xabi posted:

Reminder that it rains every other day.

It's going to rain today, just after the stage finishes.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Translation: he did something unexpected so a load of idiots panicked.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Kilmers Elbow posted:

Just went past our chippy!

Crowd made a racket but my stupid phone wasn't recording sound for some reason.

In all this talk of cycling we're missing what's important: this, ur, thing being part of the caravan:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The comma is a decimal place, so 971.72 million viewers when you add all the individual bits of coverage together.

So add together viewing figures from live coverage from every day of the Tour, the Giro, the Vuelta et al and it adds up.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

TraderStav posted:

Seems like a more meaningful metric would be average viewing per event or day of event.

It's equivalent but has fewer BIG NUMBERS

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Where're the dales on that chart?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Yeah, he's out.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Yep they literally claim exclusive use of the words roubaix and allez in relation to cycling, they can go gently caress themselves.

Don't forget that they're only leasing "Roubaix" from Fuji, which was a pretty funny resolution to the story.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Yeah, now they have a car with a recorded message about not crossing the road or running into the road when the caravan goes past.

When it was in Cambridge it went past nearly an hour after the caravan, but they did their best you know

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Smirr posted:

Yeah I don't know what was up with that explanation, they offered that up without hesitation and sounding completely convinced. They're usually pretty good, so I'll give them a pass

Athletes are usually dumb and superstitious.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

ukle posted:

Might want to look at the leaks, only Wiggins is like that - and his does look questionable, given if he was that bad an asthma sufferer to need 3 types of steroid a day surely he wouldn't be an athlete. Its no wonder his medical passport was flagged as questionable a long time ago.

You need a TUE whether you're actively taking it or not - you need one if it might be in your system.

Salbutamol is, for UK people, the standard blue inhaler that people use in emergencies. Also known as Ventolin. It's fast acting, basically the one you carry on you all the time in case of emergencies. Regular use of Salbutamol is a sign that your asthma is badly controlled.

The other two (Budesonide/formoterol) are a combination marketed as Symbicort (ie, in the same inhaler) but because they're separate chemicals they need separate TUEs. That one is a maintenance inhaler (that is, one you take at least once a day). Maintenance inhalers, in my experience, tend to contain two active ingredients (such as Fluticasone propionate/salmeterol (Seretide) which I've had in the past, or beclometasone/formoterol (Fostair) which I'm currently taking).

I think you're also underestimating the effect the drugs can have; when I was on holiday once and my maintenance inhaler (the only one I had with me at the time) unexpectedly died I had trouble walking and talking at the same time by the end of the week, but with my asthma under control I'm a very good athlete.

Short version: having three TUEs as an asthma sufferer is perfectly normal (I have three TUEs for asthma drugs [edit] actually wait it's two now, one of the ones in Fostair isn't regulated)

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 15, 2016

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Italy going for the ITT/TTT hybrid

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

But will it be as fun as yesterday, where both golds were won by people who had massive fuckups?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

serious gaylord posted:

They won't come back to England for like 20 years after this lol

Not England, but Glasgow in 4 years!