Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Sagan is a monster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

quote:

Alejandro Valverde was spotted falling from his bike at low speed but Movistar’s directeur sportif, José Luis Arrieta, has cleared up matters. He told letour.com: “He stopped for a piss and slipped on the gravel when he went back on his bike. Fortunately, there’s no damage.”

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
This might not be the most exciting stage, but it is very pretty.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Martin looks broken

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I like that Thibaud Pinot signed up for Strava's Tour challenge:
https://www.strava.com/challenges/letour

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Quintana took a bunch of time out of Froome during week 3 in 2013 right? And that was with a time trial. I think he's flying under the radar a bit right now - only being two minutes down at the end of the first week seems like the best position he could have hoped for.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The way Contador rode the Giro was brilliantly entertaining. Drugs or not, watching Froome just grind everyone into submission is deathly boring by comparison.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I missed all of that, but did Geraint Thomas really smash Contador and TVG up an HC climb? jfc

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
All the non-Froome Sky riders blew up the day after Ax 3 Domains in 2013. Maybe something similar will happen today and he'll get isolated on a big descent and fall off a cliff. Thin hope but it'd be nice for this to be a bit more of a race.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Pocket posted:

Step out for a while come back to >50 unread posts, I thought something had actually happened.

Cows happened.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Loads of French riders too, so we might actually get to see it today.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I don't really get the other teams letting Kennaugh lead Froome down the descent at walking pace. Couldn't they at least try and force him into some difficult riding?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Ted Ed Fred posted:

To be fair, with those patches of wet on the road like that it's a pretty dangerous descent, It would be a pretty risky thing to try and go full gas with the surface changing quickly and unpredictably the way it was.

I guess, but we're over three climbs and how many riders do Sky still have around Froome? 6? Someone needs to take some risks to at least try and make Sky work for something.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
He had a big dent in his helmet so he must have hit that pole pretty hard.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
It's not exactly a stunning reveal - Sky openly said they had deducted that % in the press conference.

The Stages website says they think an osymetric ring will lead to a 4-5% overstatement of power, so it doesn't seem unreasonable that it could be slightly higher for pro riders:
http://support.stagescycling.com/support/solutions/articles/1000158537-can-i-use-the-stages-power-meter-with-oval-or-osymetric-chain-rings-

That said, if they were going to be open they should have revealed everything, what they've done just looks more dodgy.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
And Movistar are chasing him down

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Surely the peloton need to react to Frank? He must be pushing for 3rd place on the road right now.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
And Porte's there. Sky seem to have played this really well.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Has anyone managed to pick up how Thibaut Pinot is doing from the coverage? It's really unclear.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

serious gaylord posted:

Hes like 2 minutes back I think?

I was joking, the camera was glued to him.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
jesus froome is so loving strong

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Looks like a ridiculously strong group getting away already. This is going to be brutal for a lot of riders. Sky haven't sent anyone in the break today.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
It's all going ballistic in the coveted "best Frenchman in the race" tournament

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I love that Contador always goes for it.

Sky not bothering to chase at all it looks like

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

serious gaylord posted:

Froome looks a bit vulnerable today.

You think? I'm quite impressed, seems to me like he's much more relaxed about letting the other contenders scrap and shut each other down than he was when he was chasing every attack in 2013.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Is it time they mess with the formula of the Tour a bit? These big mountain stages as the showpieces are just kind of dull.

The first week of rain, crosswinds, cobbles, punchy climbs and even the TTT was much more interesting and ultimately way more impactful on the GC this year and last year.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Sky certainly don't help, but the mountains weren't particularly interesting last year either. I'm not saying they shouldn't do any mountain stages, but the whole thing of stacking loads of them at the end and expecting that to produce a great race doesn't seem to be working that well. The more varied stuff in the first week that forced the super skinny climbers out of their comfort zone was fun and has ended up being more important so far.

But then the Giro was good, so maybe it is just Sky's fault.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
ITV 4 is live

Froome is already down to Thomas only

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Sky are gonna have 5 riders back in front of Froome before the next climb starts

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Oh good the cameras have found Pinot

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Apparently Thomas has been dropped by the sprinters. I wonder what's happened to him.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Pocket posted:

How salty are ITV about Nibali's attack?

They were on an ad break when it happened, but I don't think they really said anything - they're lauding him for this ride at the moment. It's not like it really matters as far as Froome is concerned.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Great ride from Nibali

Some spectator spat in Froome's face apparently

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

L. Ron Mexico posted:

i dunno. the skytrain (or froome himself) has not looked anywhere near as strong as usual this year imo. look what happened the last days when teams started pushing - a lot of the domestiques dropped pretty fast. i think with some well timed attacks from movistar/tinkoff-saxo/astana froome could've been isolated (or left with maybe one guy) several times.
also would be helpful if valverde went for it instead of pursuing his weird vendetta against contador of course

It still seems a bit like wishful thinking for all the other GC teams to club together just to beat Froome though. If Contador or Nibali aren't going to win I doubt they give a gently caress about killing themselves to tee up Quintana.

I hope we get some big attacks right at the start of the Croix de Fer today though. If Sky are in a position to regroup between the climbs it'll probably be hopeless.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Macasaurus posted:

Wish he'd done more of that.

I don't begrudge him yellow, but Nibali went for stage wins all last year. I'd rather watch ridiculous crushing attacks than his team just marking everyone.

The reaction the one time he did that probably discouraged them once they had a solid lead. Sky should probably have pushed harder in the Pyrenees where they were clearly stronger though.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I don't think they need to change the green jersey. Sagan wins it because he does stuff that is completely ridiculous. Coming in the top 3 in bunch sprints one day then dominating a breakaway for hours over cat 1 climbs the next.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Iron Beagle posted:

Let's all analyze and debate the fixed criterium races happening this week in Europe!!

https://twitter.com/KlaasVdSchueren/status/625760161345466368

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
How The Race Was Won for the Tour is pretty good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5xFuq3evho

Underlines quite how dominant the Sky domestiques were

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
http://gfycat.com/ForsakenSimilarDuck

That's amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'm increasingly sceptical there's actually a pro writing that column tbh. Apart from maybe the thing about Cannondale-Garmin not inviting someone to their post-Tour dinner it's all just a bunch of rehashed rumours we've already heard and maybe some more bluntly expressed opinions than you'd get in a normal column.