Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
France Télévisions once again taking a mobile HD studio to any location they loving want. Here's how they do it:

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2013/07/eyes-in-the-sky-how-the-tour-de-france-is-broadcast-to-the-world/

As much as I'm a cycling fan, I'm also an A/V engineer, so I always make sure to highlight how ridiculously cool the technology behind the television coverage is every single year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Can you stream the French TV coverage for free or is it geolocked? Would be interesting to see how different the shots are cut for the domestic audience. If indeed there is any difference.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Pocket posted:

None, same live feed packaged and distributed by France2. It's just when they cut to studio, that is at their own discretion, but now both France2 and ITV are showing the exact same replay of the final 1000m.

Edit: France2 showing more riders coming to the finish, whereas ITV went to another ad break...
Edit2: France2: the prize giving. ITV: More ads.

Thanks for this. I guess that makes sense from a cost-effectiveness point of view. Liggett and Sherwen mentioned that the camera ops/directors couldn't hear them so couldn't react to what they were saying. I wonder if the crew cutting the world feed in the truck can react to the France2 commentators?

Edit: A few other notes, ITV4 was being used because of World Cup on ITV1, and the worst part about ITV4 is that the picture quality of the lesser channels is way way lower than the main channels, so everything looks like digital mush.

thehustler fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jul 7, 2014

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Pocket posted:

I'm sure that I've heard French commentators say something along the lines of "if the director shows us" and often times they'll be wondering allowed about things but the footage doesn't follow. It also depends where the crew have a camera.

During the stage to Emosson on the Dauphine the tv audience was clueless that Westra was even close to the Katusha duo until the last Km. Everyone watching on the mountain within the last 4km was aware of him.

Ahh, fair enough then. I guess they are separated so that the world feed is as neutral and as homogeneous as possible.

Are you Dutch krushgroove? People get BBC all the time there.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Pocket posted:

Yeah he's one of the France2 TDF motorbike commentators, eyes on the ground kinda thing. The studio will ask him for an update on wtf is happening as sometimes the camera will follow Froome for example, there were two other riders that crashed that he confirmed their names and that they were moving again.

Not only this but they do credit every motorbike camera team, both pilot and cameraman, on the final stage. Not sure if they do the copter crew as well.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Got Eurosport instead of itv :getin:

Enjoy your boring monotone commentators

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

This is loving stupid now. I love it.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Edit: ^^^ commentary in every sport is like this now.

serious gaylord posted:

Actually, the tv coverage is probably one of the main reasons cycling is still as small as it is. Compared to almost any other televised sport its in the dark ages.

I'm not entirely sure how the hell you'd improve it. By it's very nature, the things that are done to cover fixed-location events can't be done in cycling.

I mean, purely from a broadcast engineering point of view, we're pretty much at the pinnacle of what is doable right now. You get crisp HD pictures every day from vehicles in motion over a distance of 100-150 miles thanks to aircraft relays and satellite feeds. You could have some more cameras over mobile data connections but they'd look like poo poo on your TV. You could put data on all of the bikes or riders I guess which would give you some nice analytics.

What specifically are you looking for in a cycling broadcast that we don't have now?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

peanut- posted:

Yeah, giving the commentators the ability to relay more information than just describing what's happening on the screen would be good.

That would be awesome. They just need a second screen with all of the timing/position information on, like in F1 when you get this:

Obviously formatted and presented in a way that would be relevant to cycling, with all the group information in. If every rider wore a transponder of some kind that reported certain data, it could be received at the stage finish and presented to the media. You could also stream it live on the net as the F1 website does.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

If you have gps on the camera bikes computing gap times is primary school math.

Isn't this how it's done already?

Edit: http://cyclingtips.com.au/2012/06/how-time-gaps-are-calculated/

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Same for ITV, they start at 14:00 UK/15:00 local
NBC seem to be starting at 8:00 ET/13:00 UK/14:00 local

No point going on air any earlier really.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

serious gaylord posted:

ITV had coverage of the first 2 stages in Yorkshire from start to finish and it was quite nice getting to see a break form for once.

Huh. Did they not do Stage 3 start to finish? I can't actually remember.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

He went Gallopin' away

(sorry)

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I'd have been tempted if I was the chasing rider to try and clip one of THEIR wheels and see if I could knock em down and then blame it on them blocking :v:

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

African AIDS cum posted:

They wouldn't be able to broadcast live from them, they are fine for getting video post race but the motos have huge satellite uplinks on them and stuff. The tech needs to catch up a bit

Still B.A.E posted:

It'd be cool to have dash cams in the team cars imo, could probably get some cool stuff from them every now and then.

StoneOfShame posted:

As well as what everyone else has said you also want to have as little weight on you as possible a camera would be a real annoyance which is why they only have them on the motor cyclists and cars.

A few notes on this:

These days you can broadcast over the mobile phone data network with a little gadget that has a lot of 3G/4G SIM cards in. Keeping weight and size down the quality would be poo poo, but it's definitely a thing that can be done.

The weight disadvantage could be mitigated by giving every bike the same weight load, as in F1 where not every car has a camera on top, but every car does have the same size housing with ballast in.

On the cars though is totally doable, either with the aforementioned SIM card technology or by just shoving some microwave transmitters on poles like the motorbikes. It may require more air units to rebroadcast the signal, however, depending on whether all feeds need to be visible at the same time in the broadcast truck at the end of the stage (so the director can make decisions on whether to show them). Alternatively you could have it visible only in the aircraft and they do the switching up there and that makes it less versatile but cheaper/easier to do. So many ways of doing it.

Go go technology!

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Is there any time gap between second and first place that would be small enough to see a challenge for the lead on the last stage?

All this talk of tradition and poo poo is a bit naff really. I wanna see somebody snatch a win at the last moment. It'd be amazing.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

I wonder how many people train for this job, and how? What do you think salaries are like that there's enough of them to do it?

One day I totally want to try it, but first I have to master steadicamming.

There's a lot of niche camera op jobs like that, but you sort of have to luck into them or know somebody who can get you through training of some description.

Edit: And don't forget the bike rider in that shot, he was matching the sprinting speed perfectly. That's half the battle. Think of helicopter pilots following car chases.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

So err does anybody give a poo poo about the Tour of Britain?

Why the hell is it on at the same time as the Vuelta? I am new to cycling really, does this kind of clash happen a lot? I know the Tour of Britain is worth gently caress all really but, you know, bad timing.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

No more Phil and Paul in the UK. gently caress you, ITV.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Mark Cavendish abandonne

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

First post this year. Hi.

Here's Cav post-DQ

https://twitter.com/itvcycling/status/882292354044002304