Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cosby Onahole posted:

Flavour of the month retro platformer can wait, I have big boy games to play :witch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
It's a good retro platformer. Not sure what you guys are smoking if you think those are shat out every month. The last I remember being good was Rogue Legacy.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

i cant run rogue legacy lol what the gently caress i can run 3D games no problem

Dec 26, 2012

Omally posted:

do you want me to check out shovel knight or a jump n slash game

do both, report back

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon

01011001 posted:

do both, report back

i'm too poor i can only afford half of one of these games

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

i have 4.81 on my nintendo eshop balance so if shovel knight drops in price by like 3/4 suddenly i am gonna buy it

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

Gimbal lock posted:

It's a good retro platformer. Not sure what you guys are smoking if you think those are shat out every month. The last I remember being good was Rogue Legacy.

Rogue Legacy was pretty fun but a little too grindy (I know that was the point of the game but it gets boring when you're doing runs of the castle to increase your stats). Also it falls apart at NG+2, and there's no way to go back to NG+1 without playing the whole game again, AFAIK.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

No, this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2q7KIOGaMw

Falsum posted:

Rogue Legacy was pretty fun but a little too grindy (I know that was the point of the game but it gets boring when you're doing runs of the castle to increase your stats). Also it falls apart at NG+2, and there's no way to go back to NG+1 without playing the whole game again, AFAIK.

Yeah, I'm tempted to just completely restart because normal new game isn't too bad but after you get to NG+2 it gets kinda dumb.

PixoPoxo
Dec 11, 2006
Am get!
even if it belongs to one of the most overdone genres, shovel knight is still really loving good

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

shovel knight is better than every single retro indie platformer that's ever existed

it's like an actual good NES game but modern and without bullshit

Dec 26, 2012

deadwing posted:

shovel knight is better than every single retro indie platformer that's ever existed

this is a good way to think about it yeah

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
I just got the newgame+ and they're starting to pull some inconvenient tricks. The first stage only had two checkpoints left, and most wall turkeys were replaced by bombs. You start with all your poo poo though, which is nice.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
i already have 2d indie game that is retro and has internet memes and is just like that one classic game

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

Cyra posted:

i already have 2d indie game that is retro and has internet memes and is just like that one classic game

That one you got is really bad tho

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Cyra posted:

shovel knight, believe it or not, is rather internet meme free!!

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
okay good. i already bought it and wouldn't want to be unpleasantly surprised like I was with A Story About Your Uncle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86IXY3M1-Bk

sure just go ahead and ruin the poo poo out of an otherwise really immersive game. i don't mind

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

deadwing posted:

I'd rather have an actual good SNES game but modern and without bullshit

ZebTM
Jul 7, 2009

Gimbal lock posted:

i was getting tempted but hearing it compared to rogue legacy which was godawful just killed any interest

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
The only things it has in common with Rogue Legacy is that it's in 2d and the protagonist is a knight.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Falsum posted:

The only things it has in common with Rogue Legacy is that it's in 2d and the protagonist is a knight.

and down slashes

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I don't like platformers and plus it's $15 which is $12.50 above my price range

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
yea why come it cost so much??

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

megaman is terrible antiquated rose-tinted glasses nostalgia garbage on the same level as sonic games

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

i just recently found out about miiverse on 3DS because of imp zone and i posted a neat shovel knight drawring

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Scyther posted:

megaman is terrible antiquated rose-tinted glasses nostalgia garbage on the same level as sonic games
scrub talk. just played one less than two weeks ago, still tite after 20 years

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
i don't own this game because i hate shovelware

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
never even heard of it before. what lol am i supposed to know all video games coming out?! do i look like someone who knows all video games?!

Qadaffi Taffy
Oct 1, 2006

3.14159 26535 89793 23846 26433 83279 50288 41971 69399 37510

Funnypost Collabo posted:

I don't like platformers and plus it's $15 which is $12.50 above my price range

this is why I haven't bought it. If it goes on sale I'll buy it.

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

It was a cool game and I am glad I bought it but I could have waited for a sale and not missed anything.

Dec 26, 2012

its a valid reason, and also it does not make anyone using it less of a bitch

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I wouldn't even buy this faux-retro trash for five cents.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

is this game more of a 3ds purchase or a steam purchase?

Dec 26, 2012

3ds imo

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
More of a curiosity than anything, but the soundtrack works on a real NES.
:pcgaming1: http://biglionmusic.com/Shovel_Knight_Music.nsf
(linked via the audio guy's Bandcamp page at http://virt.bandcamp.com/album/shovel-knight-original-soundtrack)

Retro stuff got a bad name by getting flooded with bad poo poo. It's too bad because at the end of the day, there ain't much more videogamey than either making NPC lives miserable or loving up a jump over a death pit.

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
The 90s are over, that's why. :smug: But nah, I am just a poor right now.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I'm gonna buy it tonight, I think. :toot:

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Gimbal lock posted:

The last I remember being good was Rogue Legacy.

Rogue Legacy was extremely bad.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
Shovel Knight is very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
rogue legacy made the tumblr crew mad and I thought it was fun even if 'rolling' for the class you want to play is annoying

• Locked thread