Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
Shovel Knight is very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
rogue legacy made the tumblr crew mad and I thought it was fun even if 'rolling' for the class you want to play is annoying

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
Wait they got mad about how it made fun of IBS or something like that, didn't they?

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

Scyther posted:

I wouldn't even buy this faux-retro trash for five cents.

:agreed:

Dec 26, 2012

Falsum posted:

Wait they got mad about how it made fun of IBS or something like that, didn't they?

iirc being gay was one of the randomized quirks, many of which are disadvantages, which made tumblr lose its poo poo that it might be construed as a handicap

never mind that the quirk did nothing so it was probably more of an advantage to have it

CARRIERHASARRIVED
Aug 25, 2010

sorry OP, i didnt even know it existed but it looks fun so i think i will try to get it later. thanks for telling me about it :)

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
poo poo i just looked it up and its p. much exactly my jam.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

rogue legacy sucked b/c the controls were total dogshit

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Real hurthling! posted:

rogue legacy sucked b/c the controls were total dogshit

They hosed up every single thing about the game, but it got cred and good press because of the "roguelike" mechanics (lmao).

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

My brother owns it

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Shovel knight is not only good but gives me a lot of hope in what has often been a very disappointing "retro" genre

I kinda wanna feature it in the next Widestancer Contest as a prize (those have worked out well in the other forums/threads I've done them in and I haven't done one for you guys yet)

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
It's 14 euros and 99 cents.

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
I'm digging Shovel Knight. It's a lot of fun but I'm worried it was buried under all the deals of the Summer Sale. Hopefully it doesn't become a hidden gem because it deserves way more attention than Rogue Legacy.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
for those living in rip off rip off land (Britain) go to gog.com and buy it in dollars. it's only 8.80 opposed to 10.99 on steam.

fuk UK

Smeego
Sep 9, 2001

japan sucks
Shovel Knight is a decent platformer and no one will care about it in 3 weeks

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Smeego posted:

Shovel Knight is a decent platformer and no one will care about it in 3 weeks

as is the way of all video games

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
At least it's not shovelware like all those other retro platformers.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

hello imp zone, you will be pleased to know that you have convinced me to put shovel knight on my wishlist for when a sale happens.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Video Viddy Games posted:

as is the way of all video games

It will go on a crazy low price sale and all the poors will play it 5 years late thus starting the circle of life yet again

Steam sales are like Rafiki

Kevsop
Jul 20, 2011

Pork Pro
I beat it last night and it seemed pretty worth it. New game plus is a thing and its definitely harder with only halfway checkpoints. I kind of wish it was a difficulty option though so if I ever wanted to get going with it on a new file I could do that. The kickstarter stretch goals include some boss campaigns which are looking to be fun but who knows when that will be since it just came out. :iiam:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I will get it eventually.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

This and 1001 Spikes are the same price and roughly the same genre/design.

Which is the better game, can anyone speak of 1001 Spike's quality?

PixoPoxo
Dec 11, 2006
Am get!

Gimbal lock posted:

More of a curiosity than anything, but the soundtrack works on a real NES.
:pcgaming1: http://biglionmusic.com/Shovel_Knight_Music.nsf
(linked via the audio guy's Bandcamp page at http://virt.bandcamp.com/album/shovel-knight-original-soundtrack)

Retro stuff got a bad name by getting flooded with bad poo poo. It's too bad because at the end of the day, there ain't much more videogamey than either making NPC lives miserable or loving up a jump over a death pit.

:eyepop: holy poo poo this explains everything

Soral
May 30, 2009

No Such Thing posted:

1001 spikes made tumblr and twitter mad because a character speaks in engrish on purpose. that is the extent of my knowledge on that game hth

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.
why does he have a shovel

that's no weapon for a knight

Soral
May 30, 2009

Soral
May 30, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15MvEV-tW4c

this video contains a full minute of a man in fingerless gloves digging a watermelon with a "tactical shovel"

check mate, shovel unbelievers

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

The M48 Kommando Tactical is the ultimate tactical shovel that also doubles as a defensive weapon! Features virtually indestructible, injection-molded nylon handle with 30% fiberglass & nylon reinforcement. The shovel head is made of tempered 2Cr13 stainless tool steel with a hard, black oxide coating. The shovel point edge is sharpened, with a partially serrated edge on one side, and a concave chopping edge on the other. Perfect for camping and outdoors use, light chopping, or for use as a defensive weapon in an emergency situation. Includes a reinforced nylon belt pouch

i got a feeling this thing is on the shopping list of lots of folks waiting for the zombie invasion

surc
Aug 17, 2004

I'm poor and haven't yet been high while seeing anything about it with a link to buy it so I have not impulse-bought it.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

It seems like sharpening a shovel would be kinda pointless, pretty much the instant you use it for its intended purpose the edges are going to get dulled all to poo poo.

Soral
May 30, 2009

uhhh yeah but have you considered that you can break a coconut with it??? rear end in a top hat

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Soral posted:

uhhh yeah but have you considered that you can break a coconut with it??? rear end in a top hat

Can't you do that with a normal shovel? Or a machete or hammer or kinda big rock?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

No Such Thing posted:

1001 spikes is a really well made pain in the rear end. if you don't want to play a game that is a pain in the rear end don't get it. but it is fun if you like games that don't like you. 3ds version is kinda hard to see all the little traps but not a big deal.

Soral
May 30, 2009

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Can't you do that with a normal shovel? Or a machete or hammer or kinda big rock?

come back when big rocks come with 100% leather belt pouches moran

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Soral posted:

come back when big rocks come with 100% leather belt pouches moran

You could probably make one.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Shovel Knight is A Good Game and if you like video games you owe it to yourself to buy it. It's not one of these self aware "we're making this game with pixel graphics and midi music and we're gonna load it up with references because hey guys do you remember video games from the 80's????" early access pieces of poo poo. It's a genuinely great game made by people who are obviously pretty into what they made. It's charming in its execution and really fun. As someone who bought a bunch of pixel graphics 2d sidescrollers, this is easily the best (right next to Volgarr the Viking, which is good but for different reasons).

Flynn Taggart
Jun 14, 2006

I purchased this game and it is a v good game

PixoPoxo
Dec 11, 2006
Am get!

Dirty Job posted:

It's not one of these self aware "we're making this game with pixel graphics and midi music and we're gonna load it up with references because hey guys do you remember video games from the 80's????"

i am really happy shovel knight is not like this and more games should follow its example

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
The fact that it's funny and charming and isn't internet memes means it's loving lightyears ahead of most other retro platformers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

:frogsiren:I am giving away a copy of Shovel Knight for a contest in the Bowser Gang Tag Memorial Wall thread here:frogsiren:

• Locked thread