Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Ashcans posted:

This did happen one time, but completely not in the way intended.

Best not cross that blue line.

Just ask Adrian Schoolcraft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Miltank posted:

he is white though?

Article says he's Latino.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

SedanChair posted:

Can you guys put it together that people can be white and Latino at the same time :psyduck:

Other than Miltank, nobody said otherwise.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Farking Bastage posted:

The section of road he got me on is a newly developed area, six lanes, 5 miles long, and 45 MPH. There's nothing out there but trees and radar guns, and typically the only people who drive it are commuting to/from work.

Cops just adore 465, the highway that surrounds Indianapolis. Three or four lanes, heavy traffic, speed limit of 55. Actually going slow enough to be legal would constitute a major safety hazard, and I've seen them just slide right up behind somebody in the middle of a pack of cars and guide them through traffic to the shoulder on multiple occasions. It's a road where complying with the law would be unsafe, so the cops just farm tickets whenever they please.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Frank Serpico on out of control police violence.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

agarjogger posted:

Yeah this show is why I don’t go to a certain laundromat anymore. My Sundays can’t handle that poo poo.
Hardest case of “no snitching” for me is spotting a probably-drunk driver. I’ve reported once after observing them drift all over every lane for five minutes. But if it’s any less obvious than that, I just drive on rather than cause an extraneous police interaction.

If you see somebody driving like that, call 911 and do what they tell you to. No matter how you feel about the cops, getting that person off the road should be a huge priority for you.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

True, but its also not workable for taxpayers to foot the entire bill, especially for requests such as the afore mentioned "every day I will request every single police document or recording created". And to use that as an excuse to not create records/documentation is absurd.

Is there a police department somewhere that's just swamped and unable to do their jobs due to constant FOIA requests or something?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Did you know that it's illegal to post profanities and call cops racist on their Facebook page? I sure didn't, and the Wisconsin appellate court is similarly confused!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Sundayturks posted:

According to my old man at least, protests he attended in London back in the 60s/70s were infiltrated by police who were readily identifiable by the police-issue boots they hadn't bothered to change.

Who remembers this pic from the Montebello protests of 2007?

Couple of dudes nobody seems to know walking around trying to persuade people to riot. The unioni members and activists told them to gently caress off, and as soon as they were accused of being cops, they "rushed" the police line and were gently "arrested". When this picture got out, the cops tried to pretend that they were just keeping an eye out for violent protestors.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Officer Greg Kwiatkowski repeatedly assaulted a man after he'd been handcuffed. Officer Cariol Horne pulled him off the guy, and then he punched her in the face so hard that she required dental work. The result? She was fired, and he suffered no consequences until he assaulted another officer at a police station some time later.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

ActusRhesus posted:

Counterpoint: Eric Garner is now a nationally recognized name. Contrast with "two dead cops". Without googling, what are their names? I don't know.

Eric Garner is nationally recognized name because cops murdered him and the system openly refused to hold them accountable. The killer of those two cops was hunted down and is dead. There's a huge difference.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The mere fact of a police officer being killed on the job, while sad, doesn't necessarily mean it was somebody specifically targeting cops like that dick in New York. Let's keep an eye on this as it develops and see where it goes instead of making assumptions.

Pope Guilty fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Dec 21, 2014

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The NYPD's temper tantrum is a good time to remember that New York City has paid out $428 Million on police and correctional misconduct lawsuits in the last five years alone.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Oh jeez, this sucks.

WARNING AUTOPLAYING VIDEO: Fatal crash victim was John Crawford's girlfriend

quote:

DAYTON, Ohio (WKRC/WKEF) -- Two people died after a fatal car crash on New Year's Day. One of the victims was Tasha Thomas, the girlfriend of John Crawford III, who was fatally shot by police at a Beavercreek Walmart. Police believe excessive speed was the cause. The crash happened on North Broadway Street between Holt Street and Edgewood Avenue just after 3 p.m. Witnesses told Dayton Police that the driver was headed south at an excessive rate of speed, between 90 and 100 miles per hour. The driver then crashed into an RTA pole, which caused the driver's side of the car to be sheered off, and the car to flip several times. Thomas and the driver, Frederick Bailey of Dayton, were then ejected from the car. "When I came over the one lady was still breathing," said Lewis, "I tried to use a towel to cover her up but the police got here and the ambulance was already here." "This is a very delicate scene, very troubling scene with being the holiday and two people passed away on the holiday at a careless act of excessive speed," said Sgt. Coleman. Police were not able to determine if both victims were wearing seat belts because of the state of the wreckage. Thomas had been interrogated by police following Crawford's death. She had been at the Walmart with Crawford, who was from Fairfield.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Drad_Bert posted:

Not to be disruptive but the pigs in GIP hate this thread and probably conspired to take its last iteration down (as if this isn't common knowledge)

In other words, keep up the good work!

This isn't helpful rhetoric.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Shbobdb posted:

That's a lot of theory and not much practice.

If a stranger is robbing or killing me, that stranger is more likely to have a badge than not. Hell, rape trauma centers train their workers to protect survivors from cops! So, even in situations where the cop is ostensibly innocent, they are still more likely a source of harm than help.

I'm not asking why cops exist originally or in theory. I'm asking why I should tolerate cops. I'm asking what good they actually serve.

Am I to understand that you believe over half of crimes committed to be by police?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

captainblastum posted:

Police are vital to any modern society, and our current police institutions are probably the best, fairest, most transparent versions that have ever existed in this nation. That is in no way contradictory to stating that the police as an institution absolutely need reform to address the racism, sexism, cronyism, and a whole host of other issues that are still undeniably part of the system.

Yeah, the reality of historical policing means that American police have a very, very low bar to clear to be the best they've ever been.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

So if the problem is a combination of a small population of psychopaths and a large population being dragged along by them, how do you fix that? How do you screen out the psychos? How do you convince police departments to screen out the psychos? And, perhaps more importantly, how do you screen out the people who can be dragged along?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Woozy posted:

Pictured: 40 cops in hoods

Edit: Reminder that the Klan was never larger or more popular in the US than when they made stricter enforcement of prohibition part of their agenda. It's actually super adorable that you think this photo is a symbol of anarchist disregard for law to anyone but your own deranged self.

Yeah, in the modern era the Klan is a bunch of loser rednecks in hoods, but in their heyday they were one of the most important, most powerful political forces in the US and had hundreds of thousands of respectable members including doctors, lawyers, cops, politicians, and so on. The KKK used to be "respectable", a notion that should forever dispel in any mind the notion that respectability is inherently good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Well this is productive.

• Locked thread