Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AshB
Sep 16, 2007

quote:

UC Officer John Pike hoses down Occupy protesters with pepper spray in November 2011. Pike, who bears a striking resemblance to an actual pig, was fired after 8 months of paid administrative leave but later won a $38,000 worker's compensation settlement, claiming he "suffered depression and anxiety after death threats were sent to him and his family."

Pike deserved to get fired, but I don't see what's wrong with him getting a settlement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AshB
Sep 16, 2007

Feral Integral posted:

Well those sitting, protesting, young students didn't get any cash after being sprayed in the face with chemicals. So, I guess it's pretty wrong that way. Edit: wait was he suing the school, is that where the settlement came from? I'm sure the students will end up paying that bill anyway.

Didn't get any cash? That's just flat-out untrue. Yes the university paid the settlement, as it should have. The university was vicariously liable for Pike's actions. Forcing it to pay the heavy damages is punitive enough to encourage the university to improve its policies. This is how lawsuits work.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
Yes, the settlement was awarded. I don't know when it was distributed because it became a non-story after the judge took action.

• Locked thread