Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Also, the protestors were non-cop citizens of the United States, meaning that many of them work for lovely pay with no benefits or job security, so for officer Friday here to recieve 30+ thousand dollars because brutalizing them made him sad, is a slap in face to society at large.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Meat Sweats, I know I'm a bit late to the party, but is there some reason you insist grouping police unions and police corruption and judicial cover-ups together, when they are in fact three separate (and, granted, very problematic) issues?

One can be pro-union and realize that the police unions are hosed up, just like one could realize that the unions have little to do with bad cops being acquitted when compared to psycho judges and politicians.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Provided such an agency really IS impartial. We finally got an "independent" agency for handling complaints against the police here in Denmark, and still only about 2% of complaints go to complainants favour (and that is not because we have an ethical, rule-abiding force, believe you me).

To no one's surprise, it turns out it is stacked with former cops and DAs.

Tias
May 25, 2008

If you think cops policing themselves means there is no special treatment "more often than not", you don't live on the same planet as the rest of us.

It is extremely clear that this behaviour exists in the majority of cases as long as they police themselves.

Tias
May 25, 2008

quote:

Do you really think that EVERY use of force by a police officer is unjust and an abuse of power?

No, and I never said so. However, regardless of what I think, a majority of uses of force by the police are them brutally punishing citizens who have not committed a crime. This is not controversial, so please don't put words in my mouth.

Tias
May 25, 2008

SrgMagnum posted:

I apologize, that wasn't my intent. I do disagree about use of force though. Do you have any stats to back it up?

No, though my own anecdotal evidence is staggering: Every time I've been to a protest (and that's a lot of times), police have used pepper spray and batons to steer citizens in the direction they want, even if said citizens are compliant - and I live in a nation that is widely considered to have some of the best cops in the world (Denmark). In the states it appears to be a million times worse. I too would like to see statistics, as I am fairly sure they fit with my own experience.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Having these boards would be amazing, but it's not going to happen, or at least not in a capacity where police officers will be transparent or truthful regarding force activities. There is a giant structural problem to overcome, wherein police officers see themselves as a special group, and the citizens as "other" from them.

I'm not defending it or saying every single cop is like that, but it's there: Every time they lie about each others activities, participate in cover-ups, haze or conspire against officers who do not follow illegitimate orders, one gets a hint about how problematic their organizational culture has become.

Before that is dealt with in a meaningful fashion, actual cooperation with communities will be hard to implement.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Bernard McFacknutah posted:

I'm curious on what, if any, the general consensus is on de-criminalising hard drugs like Heroin, Crack cocaine and Methamphetamine is among Goons.

de-criminalise them. There is literally no way the problem can become worse at this point in time, and the threat of jail and prison just for talking to social workers about your addiction means people die in droves from things like disease.

Tias
May 25, 2008

SirKibbles posted:

Focusing on the mindset of the police for a bit, they really do view themselves separately from the people they protect. People pick up on this I know I did. I lived in the middle of one of the worst parts of the city in Milwaukee and the cops looked at everyone there the way one would animals.

And it's the same all over the world. Until cops see themselves as accountable to their societies, they will keep killing and lying.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Cole posted:

So what terrible deeds have the police done to you guys specifically, or are all of your personal anecdote anti cop stories just "I saw" or "I heard"?

I've been beaten by the police numerous times, and I've seen on duty cops physically, verbally and even sexually torture close friends of mine. Good enough?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Talmonis posted:

Jesus Tias, what sort of madness inspired them to do that?

Being in the general vicinity of a protest or riot. Once you're in the bus or station, no one can see what the gently caress they do to you. And this is one of the best regarded police forces in the world (Denmark).

E: My own experiences are largely from being told to disperse a lawful demontration and refusing to. Out comes the CS gas grenades and batons! :cop:

Tias fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 22, 2014

Tias
May 25, 2008

e:

Arguing over whether or not it is the "logical end point" of an argument that non-unionized forces are less corrupt totally misses the point. Even the most rah-rah union soldier can agree that cop unions help protect police from being held to account for their actions.

Perhaps the solution is to completely dismantle police unions, perhaps the solution is reform, but police unions do have bad aspects in them, and they should be dealt with.

Xoidanor posted:

Swedish police just announced they're looking into getting in on the hot police drone action American PD's have been dabbling in. :sweden:

Fear not, Danish drones will undercut any offers the yanks can make. And then they will fall apart on the runway, securing the future skies :denmark:

Tias fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Aug 19, 2014

Tias
May 25, 2008

or who actually took offense with a kid drawing open hands for a content and denying him the prize,, claiming that he was depicting gang signs.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Going to work, so I can't, but try going back through the thread, there are many good suggestions for increasing police accountability and building relations up between cops and their communities again.

Until someone is willing to do that, though, there's not many peaceful options left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

I don't really get why anyone would try to pull the bad apple defense against the plainclothes infiltration/interference in protests. Cops do that poo poo all the time, particularly here in Europe, and you can't just act like it's a sad coincidence - The foremost duty of police forces are the protection of the state, and they regard protest interference as a legitimate tactic to that end.

Either you're for police doing what they're trained and ordered to do, or you're not - pussyfooting around one tactic that they themselves consider acceptable really doesn't make sense.

• Locked thread