Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I suggest we replace all of the cops with robots. Robots that walk beats and are part of the community, and that will let me off with a warning when they catch me going 45 on a 40 mph stretch of road.

Pros:
They won't be lazy.
They'll always follow procedure.
They won't take bribes.
They won't be racist.
They probably won't shoot your dog and/or baby.

Cons:
This might happen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rfl4PqIXIdg

But that already seems to happen a whole lot anyways (especially if you're black).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
No that just makes you a reefer mad hippy.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

XyloJW posted:

Okay, the thread will continue as-is, but will have to check in with a probation officer regularly for drug tests.

You know we're just going to get another thread to piss in the cup for us.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Enid Coleslaw posted:

If you have problems with cops then maybe try not doing crimes? I haven't even spoken to a police officer since the last time I was arrested.

I think more people are worried about the cops having a problem with them. See also: Every black person shot by the police for no goddamn reason.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Enid Coleslaw posted:

Well what percentage of people shot by cops are shot "for no reason"? I don't think that's actually a thing that happens regularly.

Sadly, data on police shootings in the U.S. doesn't appear to be collected by the FBI, who are the normal go to for this sort of data. They also don't have any racial breakdowns for crimes except 1 on 1 murders.

DailyKos asserts that 136 unarmed black people were killed by police officers, security guards, and vigilantes in 2012 alone. http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/07/24/1226172/-Police-Guards-Vigilantes-shot-down-136-Unarmed-African-Americans-on-2012

But I mean google "black people shot by police" and you shouldn't have a terribly hard time finding enough credible examples to realize it happens a WHOLE LOT.

I mean unless you consider holding a cellphone or wallet or just kinda standing there to be a reason to shoot someone.

Edit: If anyone knows where I can read some good data on police use of force and specifically lethal shootings, then that'd be pretty great.

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 30, 2014

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I love it because it's turning the favorite argument of people who support a police state back on them. Why be against the cameras if you have nothing to hide?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yeah holy poo poo fire the commissioner at the very least.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Okay SedanChair, I'm convinced. In the case of NYC, it actually would be better to have no cops at all than what they have now.

Edit: How much of this sort of thing is the result of the politicization of police work? You know, official gets elected promising to be "tough on crime", puts pressure on the PD, PD has perverse incentives to gently caress around with reports and arrests, that sort of thing. Or is it more part of the culture?

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 1, 2014

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
It's spelled discretion.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Or they cruise around actually starting fires.

justsharkbait posted:

Robots are not the answer either because someone has to program them.

Oh bullshit, how do you program in a racial bias that isn't extraordinarily easily caught? I mean really now! I think your just slandering our future iron enforcers of the law because you know they'll replace you.

Also, consider this: We will not need to equip the robots with lethal force because it won't matter if someone starts shooting at them.

Edit: I mean, we will anyway. This is America after all. But we won't need to.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Better to have a gang with guns that answer to appointed judges and elected officials than gang with guns that don't?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Good for you I guess?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yes, please tell us the circumstances that would make nearly killing a child with a flashbang justifiable.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I assume he means in the eyes of the law.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Wonder why people came up with the phrase "You don't shoot a dog for barking."

I mean, cops have pepper spray and tasers and hard blunt objects to strike with, but I guess that's just too drat hard to do.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
People who take the risk that the dog running at them isn't a killer warbeast: literally everyone not in an active combat zone.

I mean it's really not hard to tell pretty drat quickly what a dog intends to do. They aren't unknowable beasts from the beyond for fucks sake.

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jul 13, 2014

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

Cops don't have the luxury of assuming they aren't in an active combat zone. It boggles my mind that people who hate cops and see them as nothing but pure evil also have some kind of mental block in front of understanding why cops would be on higher alert than anyone else.

I really don't hate cops at all but thanks for assuming that. Maybe, just maybe, a siege mentality isn't super conducive to law enforcement that doesn't shoot children while aiming for household pets.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
You still haven't explained why a lone dog calls for lethal force. Why is a gun the go to as opposed to the array of other tools that police have at their disposal.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

There seems to be an unstated assumption here that cops should treat dogs like little people. I hate to break this to you, but dogs aren't people. I understand that this is hard for some to grasp since they get so emotionally invested and attached to them. I'm not sure what you're talking about as far as other options (hit it with a baton? dog has successfully distracted you. pepper spray it? i'm not sure that would actually be effective in most situations).

On that note, I think it's absolutely absurd that shooting a police dog is equivalent to shooting an actual human cop in the eyes of the law. Dogs are not people.

Way to completely fail to answer my question. Why is lethal force the go to for dealing with animals?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Cops are humans and if you give humans a gun and the authority to shoot pretty much anything they want with no consequences awful things happen. Thanks for stating the obvious.

See my robot cop proposal is looking more appealing by the day, isn't it?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I mean in a just world the KKK would be listed as a terrorist organization and it absolutely would be illegal to be a member, but hey, racism.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Real crime rates would go way way down if we had decent mental healthcare available to everyone in the country yeah.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Cuntpunch posted:

Your argument stops one step short and ends up blaming the sick for their illness.

The gently caress? "How does, if the mentally ill had access to treatment for their illness, there would be less crime." translate into me hating people with mental diseases?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Cuntpunch posted:

Because it implies that IF ONLY WE DEALT WITH THE CRAZIES. When that's not the fundamental problem at all. That fundamental problem is poverty and wealth inequality creating the sort of society in which problems - healthcare amongst them - nourish crime.

Again, the state of policing in america is largely driven by drug policy. The drug industry is driven, in large part, by the money it generates. A major reason why people get involved in the drug industry is for financial reasons.

As such, I say "fix the economic policies of this country and alleviate poverty." rather than focusing on symptomatic issues generated downstream of this poo poo, like the mentally ill not being able to afford healthcare, which potentiates illnesses that can render them violent. Alleviating the symptoms won't cure the disease!

Yeah man, saying "Mentally ill people should be able to get treatment so they don't commit crimes." is the exact same thing as saying CRAZY PEOPLE ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL CRIME EVER ARGLEBARGLEBARGLE.

No poo poo poverty is the fundamental problem. If you think me saying mentally ill people should be able to get healthcare means I somehow hate mentally ill people and blame them for crime existing, then maybe you should seek out a mental healthcare professional yourself.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
How in the world is it tacit racism to say that black people should be able to get good jobs? :psyduck:

By your logic, the rest of the thread is actually pro-police brutality because they think the police shouldn't shoot unarmed people and want it to stop, because they aren't addressing the underlying issue.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Cuntpunch posted:

No, the tacit racism by proposing crime reduction by targeting specific, largely vulnerable populations.

"If american jobs paid better crime would go down" is not tacitly racist. "If blacks had better jobs crime would go down" makes a tie between these things in a way that suggests specific correlation. The language is targeting a specific population and correlating 'fixing' its problems as a means to reduce crime.

Hmm, yes, I can see how giving aide to a group historically shat upon by a racist society, thus helping to relieve the poverty that causes some of them to turn to crime, is racist.

I wait no I can't because that's loving retarded.

Do you think reparations would be racist as well?

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jul 18, 2014

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
In your opinion Randbrick (and everyone else's too for that matter), why is it that becoming a prosecutor is a viable path to becoming a politician, and what effects does this have on our laws and the criminal justice system and by extension the police?

The Democratic candidate for governor in my state has had attack ads against him for simply being a defense attorny, so the topic interests me. Does anyone know of any elected officials with a defense attorney background for that matter?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
American voters, if I had to guess?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
You get around civilian oversight boards rubber stamping police decisions by giving them investigatory and discipline powers, and then appointing people to them who are unlikely to rubberstamp stamp police decisions.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Obdicut posted:

Right. Which goes to the "How do you appoint people to them who are unlikely to rubberstamp police decisions" problem, and we're outside the police realm and into politics again. How are you going to do that in a town that elects Sherrif Joe, for example?
I was thinking that it would be an elected position actually. Though in the case of it being an appointed position I guess people would make it an issue. "Will you appoint pro-life judges?" is a question campaigns have to answer, why not make who gets appointed to the boards an issue as well?

Now in a town that elects Sheriff Joe you might never be able to do that, because it is the town that elects Sheriff Joe. But in New York? LA? Detroit? Then you might get somewhere.

But as you said, this is all in the realm of politics. I can think up possible solutions to possible problems all day, but the boards would have to actually be created first. I think just the prospect of having to answer to someone who isn't a police officer would get some good results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yeaaahh don't read the comments.

• Locked thread