Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Public employees work with the benevolent hand of the government, how could their interests ever be disregarded? The only type of monopsonist that puts his employees first is a government bureaucrat, of course.

Public sector unions account for more than half of the unionized labor in the US. Want to destroy whatever vestige of union power in the US remains? Get rid of public employee unions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

meat sweats posted:

If you're just going to admit that symbolic gestures in support of "union power" are more important to you than civil liberties and racial equality, then you are part of the problem.

Two million people incarcerated for nonviolent drug offenses. People shot by cops for sport on a daily basis. Militarization and legal impunity of police forces from Manhattan to small towns. But we can't get rid of fake public employee unions because that would decrease the number of people listed as being in unions, therefore literally any horror is acceptable to maintain the current system.

Public employee unions have existed since the 80's in many areas. Have we seen a massive uptick in police brutality since then? No, we have not. Texas, Georgia, Virginia, North and South Carolina do not allow public sector unions to bargain collectively. Are these states paragons of police conduct? No, they are not. Do we similar police brutality issues in European countries with public employee unions? No, we do not. Unions aren't the problem here.

quote:

That is how we arrived at the situation we are in with police and prison guards, not to mention why in California a judge recently ruled that teachers unions are a form of racial discrimination, since they have enshrined a system that creates failing schools in majority-black areas.

Majority Latino areas, and the court ruled that state laws about seniority and firing were discriminatory, not unions themselves.

JeffersonClay fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 30, 2014

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

meat sweats posted:

If you actually believe that police aren't getting worse or that there is no abuse in Glorious Utopian Paradise Europe, you're even more out of touch with reality than the people who think that protecting union membership is more important than protecting civil liberties.

I actually think that police haven't gotten any worse in the states and countries which allow collective bargaining compared to the ones that don't, and I think that public sector unions protect a very important constitutional right-- the right to due process for their members.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

meat sweats posted:

Seems like there's a lot of thrashing around here from people who don't want to admit that a choice must be made between blanket support of public employee unions and civil liberties-oriented support of police reform.

There's no evidence that a choice must be made. Do you have any data which supports a correlation between the states and municipalities where police officers have collective bargaining rights and police misconduct?

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

meat sweats posted:

Pardon me if after sitting through the last Venezuela thread, in which the leftist brigade defended shooting into protests, detention without charge, and actual torture in jails by the police, I would rather side with the ACLU than the Z Magazine brigade on this issue.

The ACLU doesn't think police unions are the source of the problem, here.

https://www.aclu.org/criminal-law-reform/police-practices

quote:

Police Practices
Good police practices, thorough training, carefully crafted policies and appropriate allocation of resources in law enforcement can ensure public safety and prevent abuses in encounters between police officers and citizens. Unfortunately, across the nation patterns of racial profiling, the selective enforcement of laws against people of color and disturbing stop-and-frisk policies have resulted in a disproportionate effect on certain communities, with people of color coming in contact with law enforcement and the criminal justice system at far greater rates that white people.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Police Unions don't ever have the last word on disciplinary actions taken against their members. They provide their members representation to ensure that their members receive their constitutional right to due process.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
I want cameras on police, but I also want those cameras to be hooked up to a centralized facial scanning database to find wanted criminals.

JeffersonClay fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jun 30, 2014

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

litany of gulps posted:

The BLS says in 2007, about 1 in 4 cops were minorities.

It's well documented that in the United States, being a minority means you're more likely to face police harassment and end up in jail or prison.

Do you think there might be any ties between these two pieces of data that could potentially be based on giving too much discretion to the police about who to charge?

As an example, the LAPD is only 37% white (due to significant efforts hiring people of color) and yet still has very significant problems with racial profiling. http://www.scribd.com/doc/99227648/Racial-Profiling-the-LAPD

Hiring people of color to be cops will make little difference if they've internalized the same racist notions white police hold, and work within the same racist institutional systems that white police do.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Does the presidential pardon power also undermine the rule of law? What about jury nullification?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

klen dool posted:

I feel the same way with tobacco. I wish we would just flat out ban it, so that I wouldn't have to decide every day not to walk across the street and buy a pack.
I honestly think that a tobacco black market would barely exist if it was banned.

I am all for legalising all substances though.

A significant tobacco black market exists right now just to avoid taxes, and banning it would only increase the incentives to smuggle.

• Locked thread