Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Everyday Lurker posted:

I'm still looking for the Black Panther "break out the guns, we are at war with these people" response.

On the other hand, here's this: Man arrested after tackling shopper carrying gun

White guy sees black guy with gun and plays hero. Turns out black guy's packing legally. White guy gets a charge, goes to jail.

That is really weird. Why the gently caress would someone do this?

The comments are too :tinfoil: for me, but at least it makes some sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Evil_Greven posted:

To be fair, that happens to white guys too, see: Erik Scott.

It absolutely can, has and will continue to happen to white people and I wish that particular myth of privilege would die. It's extremely destructive to the narrative, that police brutality is a problem. Sure it's more likely to happen to black people because of systemic racism, but I refuse to let racism be an aegis to protect me from corruption/incompetence, any more than I'm forced to by living in a racist society.

An individual officer may see a white person as less of a threat than a black person, but when he goes off the rails, and starts beating the poo poo out of someone, racial privilege isn't going to help anymore.

mlmp08 posted:

People are dumb and don't know what's legal. I had the cops called on me for loading rifles into a car to go target shooting when I was in college. The neighbors who called the cops was from NYC and didn't realize that laws differ between NYC and a small city in Indiana.

Calling the police is a 100% reasonable course of action in that case, tackling someone that happens to have a gun but is otherwise not-notable isn't reasonable. I hope that guy gets charged with felony assault.

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 23, 2015

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Zeitgueist posted:

You have some dumb as poo poo ideas about racism and privilege.
:ironicat:

The 'aegis' part is people from a position of privilege (usually economic) not worrying about no-knock raids, police brutality, mike brown etc. because 'it would never to them,' only to those others. That is a destructive position to hold.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

The Warszawa posted:

"a myth perpetuated by white privilege that, by virtue of whiteness, you are safe from police misconduct."

Exactly. Though I subscribe more to class privilege rather then race, but that comparison is a different discussion for a different thread and of course both are very relevant in a discussion about police reform.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Soviet Commubot posted:

I'm an elementary school teacher now, is GiP where I should post about teaching? I do get paid by the state.

Do you teach at an "inner-city," you know, with the gangs? If so they may accept your stories with open arms.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

ActusRhesus posted:

Cop punished for breaking law. Sounds like a win.

Is it a harsher, similar or lighter sentence then someone who did something similar (besides the lawful arrest part) would get?

If it is similar or harsher (because of the abuse of authority part) then it's a big win.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Vahakyla posted:

Who then?

Here is a crazy idea, are the crowds doing anything except being there and chanting? If not, then no one needs to do anything.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Vahakyla posted:

True. But some crowds do start riots. What about those?

Well what do you do when someone breaks into a business? In theory the police come and arrest them, that has nothing to do with a protest, you also don't need "advanced tactics" in order to arrest an individual who is destroying property.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Vahakyla posted:

Tell that to the millions who lose a day of work and potentially with it their rent.

Surely a protest movement like occupy wallstreet, wouldn't help these people at all?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

ReV VAdAUL posted:

St Louis Cops are threatening a go slow if they get civilian oversight: http://thefreethoughtproject.com/st-louis-police-union-threaten-good-time-quit-slowdown-civilian-oversight-passes/

As with the NY go slow, once the vast crowds of anti-fluoridation protesters block all major thoroughfares in St Louis leading to massive minority job losses the Police will likely get all their own way.

Nonetheless the motion to create a create a seven member civilian oversight board looks certain to pass St Louis City Council later this month.

How is this a bad thing? I'd WANT the cops that are so upset about oversight to quit the force. Hell fire all the cops as part of the measure then hire back a few of the "good ones" and some fresh blood.

Jarmak posted:

People don't break the law not because of the consequences but because they're too lazy to get around to breaking the law.

That sounds plausible

If the only reason you don't break the law is because "it's the law" then you really don't have the critical thinking skills to discuss policing in society.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Rent-A-Cop posted:

If shitposting was a crime we'd all be doin' twenty to life.

If only it were against the law, then we could have a poo poo-post free posting paradise.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Jarmak posted:

Until they think they have a good reason not too.

I just, I don't even have the necessary skill with language to adequately express just how loving stupid this post is.

This forum is full of people who think it perfectly fine to disregard the law anytime they disagree with it, for moral reasons. Do you even think for a loving second that there isn't an equal or greater amount of people who think they are justified in disregarding the law for moral reasons that would seem (and for the most part are) morally abhorrent to posters here?

And thats not even counting people who just don't give a gently caress and would act in their own (perceived) best interest.

Most laws are immoral. Go ahead and throw that into your ethical calculus, and see what you can divine.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

ActusRhesus posted:

So as long as they stick to just murdering each other, and leave the"right people" alone, it's all ok. Is that what you're saying?

If the police did this it would be a marked improvement.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Normally I'm not a fan of the scarlet letter of Felony for people, but this type of abuse could only occur via a cop, so it would be entirely appropriate for him to be more harshly disciplined then what "non-LEO" people would get, unfortunately the opposite is often times true.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Cole posted:

i dunno man, it's really easy for me to swipe a friend's cell phone and steal the poo poo on it.

just because a cop has easier access by way of arrests doesn't mean it is any worse than if i do it.

but it's cool to know that it's "not as bad as when a cop does it so it doesn't deserve the same punishment" if someone gets their privacy destroyed by a non-leo.

A betrayal of the system you are supposed to uphold using a privileged position is absolutely a worse offense then Joe Blow stealing your phone. If you can't trust the enforcers of the law you can't trust the system, in-fact this very thread exists because the legal standards are so low for police officers. I figured this was a fundamentally understood aspect of The Problem With Police, and one of the primary things "police reform" would have to address.

Do you seriously not understand the difference between someone entrusted to enforce the law and using that position to say make him and his buddies above said law and a random citizen who breaks the law?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Looks like Drinking Arizona Iced Tea while black isn't actually a crime, how about that, glad we got that sorted out.

http://photographyisnotacrime.com/2015/02/case-dismissed-man-aggressively-arrested-video-drinking-iced-tea-public/

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Popular Thug Drink posted:

here is my foolproof retirement plan

-become a dog breeder
-get a shitload of expensive dogs
-compete in shows, win
-get a bunch of pedigreed rear end dogs
-build a kennel attached to your home
-get insurance on all the expensive rear end dogs
-swat yourself
-cops kill all the dogs
-collect insurance and sue the police
-retire

Also, and this is IMPORTANT, Don't be anywhere near your home during the actual swatting, and to be safe make sure you don't come back for at least a few days. Also installing a poo poo load of discrete security cameras ahead of time isn't a bad idea either.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
That's not even getting into the ridiculous Tom Clancy scenario where the average beat cop would need a muzzle mounted flashlight in the first place.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

SedanChair posted:

In theory, if you are shooting at somebody in low light, it is a distinct advantage to wash out their night vision.

I don't debate the tactical advantage of a gun mounted light, I question the efficacy of the officers to use it properly, i.e. use it only in situations when they should have their gun drawn in the first place, i.e. very rarely.

An officer should be using a flashlight much more often then his gun, and I don't think this is the first time an officer was using his gun as a flashlight, instead of just a flashlight.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
It's a good thing he had a tactically mounted flashlight so that he could identify his target before murdering him. I guess the light should have been brighter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Zeitgueist posted:

I'll take it over panicky unloading a magazine on anyone darker than a paper bag, sure.

I don't think a limb shot requirement will prevent mag dumps, nor the darker than a paper bag issue either.

• Locked thread