Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

tezcat posted:

the thing that ties them together is "hes/shes reaching for my gun".

I find this an interesting point.

scenario:
Cop slams you to the ground, your thinking "What the gently caress Dude". Your in pain, and you move to a more comfortable position. Cop decides to pull his pistol, and you move your hands to keep the weapon from being pointed at you. ( a natural reaction)

Guess what, YOUR hosed, cop can kill you now because "he reached for my weapon" .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Demiurge4 posted:

"If you don't step aside, I'm going to arrest you for resisting arrest".

Cop version of a temper tantrum.

You are not doing what I say, so I am going to assert my "athorita"

Like a 3 yr old kid hitting another kid cause did something they didn't like.

Not everyone is Cop material.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

ActusRhesus posted:

Right. And we also shouldn't base them around the idea that every inmate just got caught with a bag of weed. It's almost like there should be different consequences based on the severity of the offense!

Law enforcement has become a business and not a public service. Those that are involved in it, are convinced that we need more of it. Laws are control mechanisms with penalties for doing or not doing them. If you XYZ then ABC will happen to you.
In some states prisons are run for profit. Every Law enforcement agency is always trying to justify a bigger budget. Lawmakers are creating more laws. We keep inventing more crimes, like cyber bullying, and not buying insurance. Due process is a bigger, longer, more complicated process every year. Recidivism drives the whole thing, there is no incentive to "rehabilitate". Law enforcement needs the repeat customers.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

So throw a rock in Pasco, Washington and you get 13 bullets in return.

Seems a teeny tiny bit excessive, but the officer, no wait, there were 3 of them. The Officers, felt threatened, especially after they shot at him and he ran away.

Maybe the IDF could use some help, I hear they have 2500 Palestinian rock throwing incidents a year.

But wait, they don't normally shoot the thrower, and when they do, its kind of a big deal.

• Locked thread