Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
Off duty cop moonlighting as a security guard in a hooded sweatshirt and dark pants with his gun drawn demands a 17 get out of the car. Kid tries to get away and the cop kills him. No indictment.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/08/27/off-duty-texas-cop-cleared-in-fatal-shooting-of-teen-he-suspected-of-drug-use/

This is what the officer was wearing:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
The problem seems to be officers confusing their guns for the source of their authority and respect rather than their badge and uniform.

DARPA fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 27, 2014

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/12/us/new-orleans-sex-crimes-investigations/index.html?c=us&page=1

quote:

New Orleans (CNN) - The report is full of harrowing details alleging that five New Orleans Police Department detectives in the special victims unit may have failed to investigate sex crimes over a three-year period.

But one case stands out.

According to the seven-page document released Wednesday by the city's Office of Inspector General, a 2-year-old was brought to a hospital emergency room after an alleged sexual assault. Tests would show the toddler had a sexually transmitted disease, the report said.

The detective in the case wrote in his report that the 2-year-old "did not disclose any information that would warrant a criminal investigation and closed the case," the inspector general's report said.

quote:

"Detective D told at least three different individuals that Detective D did not believe that simple rape should be a crime," it said.

DARPA fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Nov 13, 2014

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005

SwingShift posted:

I like my idea better because it lets me think up a very ridiculous movie premise and I can ignore the fact that a detective said rape should not be a crime if it was only a "simple" rape. A detective that handled 11 simple rape cases.

Well, he was assigned 11 simple rape cases. If he handled them it wouldn't be a horrific story of injustice.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005

Cole posted:

When did I say its bad to be angry at those guys? Or do you just want me to say that? I just said its easy to putz off st work and you got "but its ok!" out of that? Stop filling in blanks that don't exist.

You thought people were nit picking regarding an officer that tossed a report about a raped two year old having an std. Or an officer assigned to investigate rapes thought simple rape shouldn't even be a crime.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005

Cole posted:

And I was misinformed. Instead of what YOU are doing right now someone actually corrected me .

You defaulted to boot licking terrible officers and then seem legitimately confused why people have a problem with you.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005

katlington posted:

I would think the police would be all for a thing to help protect their officers against false accusations by providing an incontrovertible recording of what happened.

What are you implying? That an officer's word isn't currently incontrovertible proof of what happened?

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005

ActusRhesus posted:

Honest Answer: none. Here's the rundown of my cases this year:

1. DUI 2. Rape of a minor 3. Stabbing 4. Serial Home Invasion Rape 5. Rape of a Minor 6. Murder 7. Murder 8. Armed Robbery 9. Conspiracy/Murder 10. Murder 11. Murder 12. Armed Robbery 13. Murder 14. Operating a Drug Factory/Conspiracy 15. armed Robbery 16. Armed Robbery 17. Felony Murder 18. Attempted Murder/Kidnapping. I'm sure I'm forgetting at least one or 2 murders.

So which of these lives have I ruined?

Do you get all the big crimes in your district or is this only a list of your cases that are actually going to trial?

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005

ActusRhesus posted:

no. we just have a lot of murders. It's pretty much all gunshots all the time. I do primarily appellate work, so a lot of these are older cases that are working their way through the habeas and appellate system.

The 2 cases I was involved with at the trial level were a murder and the drug factory one.
You could have acknowledged the fact that your job filters out people too poor to appeal or had to plead to lesser sentences for reduced jail time when trying to claim the system isn't destroying their lives.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
Get that guy to NYC to run some training sessions. Maybe the NYPD can learn how to properly handle their guns.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005

KomradeX posted:

How the gently caress does that work?
He's black.

In Miami Gardens, store video catches cops in the act posted:

Earl Sampson has been stopped and questioned by Miami Gardens police 258 times in four years.

He’s been searched more than 100 times. And arrested and jailed 56 times.

Despite his long rap sheet, Sampson, 28, has never been convicted of anything more serious than possession of marijuana.

Miami Gardens police have arrested Sampson 62 times for one offense: trespassing.

Almost every citation was issued at the same place: the 207 Quickstop, a convenience store on 207th Street in Miami Gardens.

But Sampson isn’t loitering. He works as a clerk at the Quickstop.

source

quote:

One video, recorded on June 26, 2012, shows Sampson, clearly stocking coolers, being interrupted by MGPD Sgt. William Dunaske, who orders him to put his hands behind his back, and then handcuffs him, leads him out of the store and takes him to jail for trespassing.

DARPA fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 10, 2014

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/16/justice/walmart-shooting-john-crawford/index.html?c=homepage-t

The transitive property of police violence. Handcuffing a little girl, interrogating the girlfriend of a innocent man. I wonder how the girlfriend fared after officer liang murdered her boyfriend in front of her.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005

quote:

"The gun was in the bed, I went to move it, put it to the side, and it went off," McCollom said.
http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/02/justice/georgia-police-chief-wife/index.html?c=homepage-t

The gun happened to be in bed while the couple was sleeping and that's why the police chief shot his wife.

Who the gently caress sleeps with a loaded gun in the bed besides a tweaker 80s movie character?

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pkxru95j7xnonsi/NYPD%20Sexual%20Harassment%20Complaint.pdf

34,999 heroes I guess.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005

zzyzx posted:

He's not suing the prosecutor for being terrible; he's challenging the grand jury secrecy rules (which prevent him from speaking about the case) as violating his first amendment rights and asking for an injunction.
Is grand jury service mandatory like on a petit jury? Or is there an option to walk away rather than swearing to secrecy?

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
Officer slips on banana peel; executes woman.

All because a dog startled him.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
As if a police officer would face a jury for killing a black person.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
Florida police use sex-crime laws to bait men with no apparent interest in underage trysts

quote:

You're probably thinking, Wait a minute, I'd run from underage encounters. How could men who were really seeking adult sex partners be groomed to break the law?

quote:

"In the case of a 27-year-old Cape Coral man ... deputies arrested him even though he didn't even travel to meet a child for sex. Law enforcement officers responded to the man's legal 'casual encounters' Craigslist ad, pretending to be a 14-year-old girl, even though the ad said, 'age for all women must be 18+ no one under email me plz.' The man repeatedly told the undercover detectives that he was 'not OK' with meeting up with an underage girl, but because he didn't immediately end the conversation, he was arrested for utilizing his phone to solicit a sexual act from a child. Detectives went to his house and arrested him as a sexual predator of children."

quote:

In essence, the police wasted time pursing non-threats to public safety in part to enrich themselves at the expense of people like a 24-year-old man arrested in a January sting, who "had to pay $10,000 cash to get his 2014 Lexus returned ... though all felony charges were later dropped in his case, he will not get the money back for either the negotiated settlement or the fees he paid an attorney to handle the vehicle case." This is yet another illustration of the need for asset forfeiture reform.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
Lots of talk about the douches trolling the thread.
Duluth won't release body camera video of police shooting

quote:

"We have determined that it's in the best interest of the city and our officer to classify (the video) under this statute," Johnson said in an interview. "We want to make sure that when, and if, there's a lawsuit, that we have the strongest defense possible for the city and the officer."

I hope some news organization pushes for the release of this video. The city choosing to withhold it because it might hurt their defense if it gets released is some absurd circular logic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx32b5igLwA

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
That dude, in particular, survived.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005

ayn rand hand job posted:

The victim survived and at the present time he and his family does not want to see it released to the public.

I'd respect their privacy.
Nah, I'd rather know if the police department can be trusted to respond to calls involving suicidal individuals. The guy cut himself and locked himself in a room. The police busted in, used an attack dog "as a distraction" then shot him. It's amazing how the social workers I know manage to deal with suicidal people on a daily basis without carrying a gun or releasing an attack dog.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Research the elements of the crime of sexual assault (may be labeled differently in your state). When you've successfully identified all the required elements and state of mind required to charge the offense, review the scenario that was posted and identify whether or not the elements of the crime and mental state were present and probable cause exists for an arrest or warrant.

quote:

The effort of reformers over the last several decades has led to the
criminalization of some types of unwanted, non-consensual sex; however,
most states do not criminalize that conduct, or only do so in a limited
fashion.

http://scholarlycommons.law.northwestern.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=7410&context=jclc

Some shithole states still require a victim to physically resist to escalate an incident to sexual assault. Saying "No" isn't enough. Got to get yourself a black eye and a broken nose before the government cares enough to believe a victim.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005

mlmp08 posted:

Being there can still be quite a pain in the rear end if "there" is a road or public space other people need to use. If protestors are looking to clog up the steps of the courthouse for a few hours all the police really need is a couple of observers to report if things get out of hand.

"People" are using it. To protest. What you mean is "other more important people need to use" it.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005

mlmp08 posted:

BRB protesting the state of healthcare in this country by blocking in all the exits from the ambulance motorpool. This is ok, right?

Holy poo poo is that a thing that happened?

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005

Everyday Lurker posted:

Sometimes goons need to learn when to shut the gently caress up and move on from an argument.

Speaking of moving on, having a snowball fight while black is now a suspicious event worth drawing a gun over.

Sure those weren't fluoride protesters blocking the ambulance entrance?

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/groveland-officers-accused-using-excessive-force-1/nj2Cp/

Pointing a gun at a child while your partner pins her to the ground with his knee is hardly surprising, but this:

quote:

Rigdon was suspended in May and demoted in 2013 from corporal. He was also reprimanded in 2011. Each punishment was the result of allegedly filing false police reports.

How the gently caress do you have an officer on staff who continually files false reports? How can he possibly be useful giving testimony?

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005

SedanChair posted:

I think the point was until we confront the facts of racism, biased policing and Americans' objectively false beliefs about black people and crime, White House initiatives for community policing are putting the cart before the horse, or just setting a cart there with no horse in evidence.

Policing will never be the answer. Armed guards occupying impoverished areas, throwing the locals in jail, and further ostracizing them from society will not solve poo poo. Social workers are far closer to what a police force should be doing to improve the community. Drug rehab programs. Public works projects, funding community rejuvenation programs (and hiring locals). Getting children and their parents educated. Proper sexual health education, free condoms, free birth control, free abortion. All that can help.

But there will never be a way to figure out how to convict a 17 year old of a felony for drug possession in a positive manner, or how to get a woman off the streets by publishing her prostitution arrest in the police blotter.

In fact, the Coast Guard Auxiliary exists because the coast guard figured this poo poo out already. The coast guard aux sees a violation? Friendly reminder, free boat inspections, patrols to let people know they're doing something illegal/dangerous. IF the coast guard proper were to witness that stuff, it's fines and armed boarding. Shockingly enough, boaters like seeing the aux. It's fun, rather than threatening.

DARPA fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Feb 3, 2015

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005

Vahakyla posted:

Except the loving CG Auxiliary is still enforcement. What do you think they do? They enforce a law. They just can't enforce it all the way given some resistance. They are still law enforcement and if their enforcement is not enough, around comes the full time Guard with guns.

They aren't law enforcement at all. That's the entire point. They're fully civilian. Their goal is to promote safety, not to make arrests, or write tickets. Just like if you have a social worker dealing with a drug user compared to a police officer the drug user's life will fare much better dealing with unarmed person who won't be dragging him to jail.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
Do you consider crossing guards law enforcement?

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
Drawing a weapon to use the tactical flashing to walk through an apartment building doesn't just seem unreasonable, but I think reveals systemic failure of the NYPD training program to instill a proper respect for firearms. My shooting range experience is (hopefully) far less than a police officer and the obvious safety issues wielding a weapon just to use a flashlight defies reason. The more I think about the situation the less it seems like a freak accident and the more it seems like the officer pointed his weapon at the victim and pulled the trigger.

DARPA fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005

xergm posted:

"Hey, I just shot someone. I just want to make sure you know in case you have to represent me... No, I mean literally just now, he's still laying on the ground... No, you're the first person I called, should I have called someone else?"

Looks like he didn't text the union rep. Just argued with his partner about calling it in to protect his own job.

NYTimes posted:

For four minutes, a New York City police officer who had just fired his gun into a darkened housing project stairwell argued with his partner over whether to tell their superiors about the shot.

I also heard an NPR segment claiming after the argument ended Liang proceeded to walk down the flight of stairs to Gurly and instead of rendering first aid, simply stepped over the body into the hallway.

• Locked thread