Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

XyloJW posted:

I'm very glad we had this tedious discussion. It was very illuminating. Thank you.

Pretty good summary of the fishmech experience right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

paragon1 posted:

Radium infused paints used to be an industry.

Their attempt to branch out into Radium infused forums code went about as well.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

SedanChair posted:

I was the soul of wise, measured posting in the gun thread.

:laffo: at the idea of any posting in that thread being any less than frothing at the mouth mad

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

caro, he was tortured to death after entering Syria

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Yeah brown Moses managed to talk to someone that was with sent to Assad's torture outfit that reported an American matching his description held there in awful conditions and no one's seen him since.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Joementum posted:

Ooooh, nice try but no.

I'm down with allowing Romney to be Spider-Man but he has to be newspaper Spider-Man.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Joementum posted:

It's a good time of year for mojitos.

There's a time of year not good for mojitos?:confused:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

For people that drink/make mixed drinks, why should I bother with simple syrup instead of just adding sugar to the drink when mixing it.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

made of bees posted:

I forget, have they owned up to killing Allende yet?

I would think having his bloody glasses on display (:wtc:) counts as a confession

oh wait Chile has those, I was thinking of Lumumba's teeth

and belgium has those, perhaps the CIA museum is not the horror show I assumed it was

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 3, 2014

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Dreylad posted:

If the US annexed Canada you'd either break the two-party American system, or guarantee that the Republicans would never be in power again.

Uh, please don't annex us.

Too late, you've finally given democrats a war they can get behind.

Bombing begins in five minutes.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

:rip: rip d&d chat thread, killed by the exact same posting as the gun thread :rip:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Deadulus posted:

I was reading the US politics thread, which every so often has the discussion over high school history. But, I figured this thread was better to post in for this.

I went to high school in the south and I remember (to my teacher's credit) the history of the civil war was presented as bad thing the south did over slavery.

But, my question has more to do with the period between the civil war and WWI.

The main thing we got from the inter-war period was nothing much happened, but a few great men made some companies and then we had a big war in Europe.

Is this normal in a lot of high schools? I am wondering because it just glosses over all labor disputes of the period.

I would say yes but the teacher I got in high school for post ACW US History was lf as gently caress and literally based the class around zinn's a peoples history and killing hope

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Joementum posted:

:lol: you read Killing Hope in high school? That is LF as gently caress.

oh no he couldn't get away with that but once we hit the cold war his lectures for some reason matched almost preciously with the material covered in killing hope. It left me wondering if I had read the book before when I did buy it a year later.

e: he did make us read excerpts of open veins of latin america though. Guy was a pretty cool teacher

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 6, 2014

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

thinking about it more my senior year history teacher could have been an lf poster, he also did a yearly summer trip for interested students down to Guatemala for a month and a half to learn about the country and do aid work.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

He wouldn't happen to have participated in one of those groups that handles educational aid to Guatamala, was he?

IIRC he p much set the trips up entirely himself and he and the students would help child aid set up libraries and schools.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Oh this is going to be fun.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

"In a damning piece of evidence, investigators said they had found an encrypted communication programme hidden on his computer. The hidden programme was disguised as a weather app, and activated by searching for a weather forecast for New York."

Goddamn that's clever.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Who What Now posted:

You'd think they'd want to set that to a city that no one would randomly search for. Like Boise, Idaho.

True but I think the guy just rolled over and told them since who the gently caress checks the weather in NY while investigating a dude's computer.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Because the north blows goats and is full of jerks and insufferable wannabes. The north wasn't even cool until southerners started migrating there, and only then barely.

Southerner believes his personal hellhole is better than everyone else's slightly less lovely hellhole.

News at 11.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

tbp posted:

They were too.. idk the word for it just weak and weird

They too refused to ignore you? :v:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Dr. Witherbone posted:

Has a mod ever gone along with one of these requests? As far as I know the gas chamber once had an awesome little tune to go with it, but even that's before my time.

Wantin' some funky Parliament tunes up itt.

I seem to recall either the 2008 or 2012 Obama toxx thread had music embedded into it.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

CIA officially declares tomatoes to be red grapes.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

ReindeerF posted:

It's basically Milton from Office Space. That's who is running the CIA.

Suddenly a whole lot of Cold War bullshit is making sense.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

zoux posted:

I'm so loving over Thomas Jefferson.

I'll never understand why people still praise the founding fathers. Oh boy a bunch of whiney tax dodging, slave rapists founded our country LETS CELEBRATE THEM FOREVER!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

silvergoose posted:

It's still the usual advice! With the addendum, DO NEVER BUY A CONDO.

The reasoning behind this one better be to avoid inflicting more 3 olives upon the forums.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Talmonis posted:

Speaking of which, I've not seen ThreeOlives since the GBS switch.

he single handedly destroyed the recent gbs thread about some guy that got the poo poo scammed out of him while buying a house with condo chat

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

zoux posted:

What the gently caress is cheerleading?

I've been probated for it and I'm still not sure myself :v:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

something about talking up another poster who has not posted in thread as near as I can tell

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

how do you feel about joining the people's liberation army?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

And tucker got suckered in for the ride

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Swan Oat posted:

i respect the purity of hate it takes for someone to piss on art modell's grave. i will root for the browns now, as a second team.

Are they still adding production lines to the factory of sadness? I know fuckall about football but the browns thread in tff was goddamn hilarious.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Talmonis posted:

Man, I'm a Ravens fan and even I feel sorry for the Browns.

after losing like their third shiny new draft pick in the preseason or first couple of games to a career ending injury, you'd think they'd get the message that god doesn't want their team around

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Plague? As in THE plague? :stare:

Edit: Okay it was lifted that's good right?

Like a dozen people are infected with plague each year in the US, it's no big deal if you have access to antibiotics.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Joementum posted:

Some of the best places to visit in CA are those that really shouldn't exist, but do because it's CA, like the Rosicrucian's in San Jose, or the Winchester Mystery House in San Jose (San Jose double special!), or the Museum of Jurassic Technology in LA, or the abandoned Nazi ranch in Santa Monica, or Hearst Castle.

The Bottletree Ranch is kind of cool too, but requires driving to Victorville, so it's not worth it.

Hearst castle is neat but go when it's cool. The Winchester mystery house blows unless wondering around DIY Disasters: The Thread: The House is your thing

E: replace the mystery house with San Jose's tech museum for a much better day in San Jose

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Talmonis posted:

Suddenly I had the image of one family of non-mormons in a Utah neighborhood being completely surrounded by hundreds of squeaky clean white men in black slacks, white button down shirts and black ties, all yammering over each other asking if they can talk to them about Joseph Smith.

There's an Assembly of God Church a block from home that apparently has some mid-day meeting where you have to wear slacks, button down shirts and ties and they all walk together to a nearby restaurant for lunch.

First time I saw them returning from lunch I thought some Mormon apocalypse was descending upon the neighborhood.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

zoux posted:

News companies think that Americans are dense, low attention span, entertainment craving morons. They are completely and totally correct

FTFY

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

If you have any friends that for god knows what reason like steampunk, just constantly remind them that Wild Wild West is steampunk and watch them sputter in rage.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

First movie I can remember going to see is toy story.

The second movie I can remember going to see was Kazaam, thankfully 15 minutes into the movie God intervened and saved me from a horrible fate.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I don't like jury trials, anyway. Complete lack of accountability.

Is there any data on a hypothetical switch from juries to something else like tribunals regarding cost/case load? Because I think trial by jury is dumb but given the amount of cases in today's society I'd grudgingly accepted it based on cost effectiveness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

euphronius posted:

Jury trials rarely happen (relative to the case load) and they are important in that they take the "hard decisions" out of the hand of the government and thus are a bulwark against tyranny.

Also I guess I have a bad opinion of judges but if you think trials by juries are dumb, well, hahah, wait till you see trials by judges.

alright I hadn't thought about the bulwark against government aspect of it but there's gotta be a better way than having cases decided by twelve people with no legal experience that were too unlucky and dumb to get out of jury duty.

• Locked thread