Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ufarn
May 30, 2009
PSA to pre-order Perlstein's upcoming Reagan book, if you like hating politicians with the fiery passion of the thousand suns.

Because Christ, so far into my reading of Nixonland, Nixon is repeatedly eclipsed by Governor Reagan's horribleness.

Also, don't order from Amazon, because they're subhuman mongrels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Omi-Polari posted:

Yeah the conservative movement needed someone to lionize, absolutely. But Reagan spoke in very simple and plain terms that were easily understandable to ordinary people, and he had a flair for camp and drama. Then you look at the three preceding presidents Nixon, Ford and Carter and you can see why conservatives went all gooey for Ronnie. And I think people are nostalgic about the 1980s and Reagan benefits from that.
He also followed Nixon who employed a person specifically to write his jokes.

Speechification and statemanship changed character.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Is the FCPA completely toothless nowadays like the SEC, or are there still corporations who get charged on occasion?

I was just reading how News Corp looks to avoid charges, much like Wal-Mart after their Mexican adventures.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

TheImmigrant posted:

FCPA has teeth these days. It's one of my practice areas.
What's the scuttlebutt on the Wal-Mart case? It doesn't appear to be closed yet.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Freedom waffles are still okay, right?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I will always respect Romney for hyphenating Spider-Man.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Oh c'mon, Romney totally Deadpool.

His candidacy still manages to be alive somehow.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
So is it treason to watch the World Cup or not watch it?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Isn't the Belgian team supposed to be some "golden generation"?
It's just syrup.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Dave Weigel posted:

After we talked, and after Nader spent some time deriding Sen. Bernie Sanders as an inadequate left leader who "can't even return a call," the progressive thinker trekked over to the Cato Institute, where the Heritage Foundation's new media arm got him to call for the end of the Export-Import Bank.

loving Nader.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Joementum posted:

Current status: sitting in an airport next to a man in his 20s who is wearing a Reagan / Bush '84 t-shirt.
Is the college Conservative wearing a suit or a preppy yacht-club get-up?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I dunno, coworkers who appear to harbour no opinion on anything are pretty scary, too.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Joementum posted:

Amtrak, despite being publicly funded and owned by the US federal government, is supposed to be a self-sustaining for-profit corporation. It also uses the same tracks as the freight rail in much of the US except the Northeast corridor and the freight legally has the right if way, which is why it's passenger service is perpetually slow and late.

America's rail system has always been hosed by our regionalism. The transcontinental railway bill had to wait to be passed until 1862 because the antebellum Congress couldn't agree on whether Chicago or St. Louis would be the primary hub city.
Would Amtrak have been in charge of the NY-NJ route Christie axed?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I'm guessing Perry didn't take Obama to Niggerhead.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
If Zizek didn't exist, we'd have to invent him.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

drilldo squirt posted:

Based on his plagiarism and toilet thing it gives the impression of a dude who found a nitch to write for and wrote what they wanted to hear. Sorta like glen beck.
Kids in humanities don't exactly have a lot of (living) rock stars, so some are desperate enough to go for Zizek.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

razorrozar posted:

Pineapple on pizza is a goddamn travesty. :can:
Shut the front door. Pineapple is a delight, and I will hear no statements to the contrary.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I'm a vegetarian, so I'm desperate enough to find toppings as it is.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The first and only pizza I ever ate in Rome was awful.

I'm still traumatized by that experience. Guess Americans know what's up, and Italians don't, or I just visited some dreadful tourist trap.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Joementum posted:

I'm reminded of when National Review decided that The Who's Won't Get Fooled Again, The Beatles' Revolution, and The Clash's Rock the Casbah (and 47 other songs) were conservative anthems.
I thought praising The Beatles was apostasy at Buckley's old rag?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Someone is trolling the hell out of the @congressedits Twitter bot that tracks Wikipedia edits coming from a Congress IP, and it's hilarious

ufarn
May 30, 2009
We were this close to seeing CNN get sold off, y'all:

NYT posted:

The media giant 21st Century Fox, the empire run by Rupert Murdoch, made an $80 billion takeover bid in recent weeks for Time Warner Inc. but was rebuffed, people briefed on the matter said on Wednesday. (...)

As part of the proposal to buy Time Warner, people briefed on the proposal said, 21st Century Fox indicated that it would sell CNN to head off potential antitrust concerns since Fox News competes directly with CNN. Putting CNN on the auction block would likely stir up a bidding war for the news channel; both CBS and ABC, a unit of the Walt Disney Company, have long been viewed as interested suitors.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Holographic research would still be in the 90s if not for CNN.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Oh great we're doing this again

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Slides just happen to attract people who don't know jack about brevity and having an actual point.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I've been soured on Democracy Now since they had a fluoride crank on the show to do his book-tour thing and did nothing but gasp "Oh wow", when he told the captive audience that the fluoride we put in water is normally used as rat poison.

Which is complete horseshit, if you know what he is twisting to drum up pushback.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Joementum posted:

What do you all think is the more likely scenario with Alex Jones: legitimately insane or putting on a show for money?

I mean, it's probably a bit of a mix, but which is the bigger aspect of his show/personality?
Probably a little like Glenn Greenwald: a broken record who's found a routine, and everything is practically in absolutist caps lock.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Jagchosis posted:

This movie has 4/10 on IMDB and 100% on rotten tomatoes. I wonder why there is such a disparity (no I don't I know why and so does everyone)
I believe IMDb prune pre-release reviews anyway.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I don't know whether this Israel-Palestine polling should make me happy or sad, given the influence of AIPAC in American politics:

Also interesting to note how people are more pro-Israel, the higher the level of education. Blame Alan Dershowitz.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

VikingofRock posted:

So wait is this Advanced D&D or D&D Next?
This is where you roll Fortitude saves on insufferable beer chat.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I think Boehner buys it by the gallon.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Good news, everyone! Frank Luntz is back in politics, and he's teaching Zionists to not sound apartheid-y when massacring Palestinians.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The United States is the ebola of foreign policy:

BuzzFeed posted:

The United States government has delivered almost three quarters of a million weapons to Afghanistan’s army and police since 2004 but can’t track where those arms went, according to a new report by the Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction, known as SIGAR.

“U.S. and Coalition–provided weapons are at risk of theft, loss, or misuse,” the report said. “We’re very concerned,” added John Sopko, the inspector general, “that weapons paid for by U.S. taxpayers could wind up in the hands of insurgents and be used to kill Americans and Afghan troops and civilians.”

Training and equipping the Afghan National Police and Afghan National Army has been central to President Obama’s Afghanistan policy. But arming the police and army has been plagued by a lack of accountability, the report says.

The weapons distributed to Afghan forces include 465,000 small arms, the report says. But that number might not be accurate, an official with SIGAR said in an interview, because the data from the Department of Defense “is not very reliable.”

On top of the problems in accounting for the guns, the auditors found that Afghan forces have been sent far more rifles, machine guns, and grenade launchers than they need in the first place. For example, Afghanistan received 83,000 excess AK-47 assault rifles.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Joementum posted:

The guy who runs Zappos built a shipping container park in downtown Vegas.

Though they found out that it would cost more to cut up and reuse actual shipping containers, so it's made out of fake shipping containers instead.
So he's still building Hsiehland there.

Kind of amazing that it hasn't blown up in his face yet (or maybe it has).

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The Warszawa should make it a part of his trip to follow 538's burrito-bracket recommendation, given that the Bay Area apparently reigns supreme in this department.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Badger of Basra posted:

why did 538 decide to just exclusively do dumb gimmicky bullshit?
TBF, it's a hobby project Nate Silver has had in a long time.

The same can not be said about the article on what you can normally find on the floor of the New York subway.

Vox do it as well, and it just makes them feel like a newspaper-slash-BuzzFeed for the cool kidz.

EDIT: RE falafelchat, if you're ever in Paris, one of the places in the Jewish Quarter has the best loving falafel. Great place to grab a bite.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jul 29, 2014

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Has anyone ever made one of the Upshot drinks, and what obnoxious demographic do they normally cater to?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Mormon churches are also pretty fun to visit, because their architecture is so loving bonkers.

It's like opulence and the U.S.'s depraved sense of urban planning put in a blender together.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
How are there still people who read National Review?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I just want to know who Obama will run as to achieve his third term.

• Locked thread