Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
With reference to pants chat, I wanted to point out that here in Southeast Asia the goons pride ourselves on remaining pantless as a routine part of life. We probably also get statistically less done.

If you think about it, greater statistical probability of pants-wearing probably correlates with higher productivity (maybe also a higher propensity for colonialism), but also with lower happiness levels and longer working hours.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jun 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Nintendo Kid posted:

Depends on the seasoning and toppings ya use.
NO. IT DOES NOT.

Also, I'm pretty sure Lincoln's slippers are the then-equivalent of super-cheesy reservation gift store moccasins.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
And flavor.

It's like talking to Patty Hearst with you turkey substitute people.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Wait until you hear about Yucca Mountain!

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Fluo posted:

I discovered that ww2 gasmask I used for halloween had asbestos as part of the filter. :gonk:
You'll get a Darwin Award Honorable Mention at minimum.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Prosopagnosiac posted:

his ways and wants to "change the system man".

....Or the far more likely case that dude knows a mark when he sees one and wants to get a piece of that sweet $2.7 million they've raised in Internet donations and has no other options due to his total lack of credibility among people who can identify their rear end from a hole in the ground.
Is he still working in a Jewish pizzeria when he's not attending his Orthodox synagogue?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

R. Mute posted:

A huge part of the tradition is people dressing up as him and Sinterklaas and we honestly don't have enough black people to fill those roles, especially in rural areas like West-Flanders. It would be super weird to import them from other areas to fill those roles. And, y'know, kids like to dress up as him, so you can't just get black actors.

Plus, assuming you're also getting rid of the exaggerated lips and frizzy hair (because if you don't, you now just have black people dressed up as caricatures of black people), you might as well get rid of the blackface as well.
Also, imagine the reaction of a Dutch family if a real black dude climbed down their chimney holding a bag.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I assume someone in Bumblefuck Mississippi is already shooting his Pitbull cassette tapes with a shotgun and filming it for Youtube.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I have never heard a Pitbull song that I'm aware of and my only recollection of him is that time the internet forced him to play a concert at a Walmart in nowhere Alaska, but I have this impression of his target market overlapping heavily with Kid Rock.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Thread has come full circle.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
http://www.businessinsider.com/conservatives-purposely-making-cars-spew-black-smoke-2014-7

I'm sure if I were still living back home I would've been way ahead of the curve in picking this up, but I'm OOTL these days. This is exactly the kind of poo poo the people I grew up with were already doing for what they think is legitimate reasons (farm trucks in mud/flood country with stacks), so if you give them a political rationale to take it to 11 it's only going to get funnier.

These people should be dragged from their stupid loving vehicles and shot, but I feel that way about people who ride Harleys too, so I may not be the most fair arbiter. Hey I'm enjoying this lovely say, it sure is nice outs- oh God what is this wall of smog and noise? Oh, it's conservative America in sound and gas format.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jul 7, 2014

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Arugula does suck, though, and granola pretty much does too, heh. The rednecks are not wrong about everything!

skaboomizzy posted:

Most states have annual vehicle inspection and registration requirements (including emissions), so it'll be super fun to see what happens when these vehicles are declared to be not road legal.
Guess again, my friend!

http://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/vi/CostOfInsp.htm

quote:

Counties requiring emission tests:
Brazoria, Collin, Dallas, Denton, Ellis, El Paso, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Johnson, Kaufman, Montgomery, Parker, Rockwall, Tarrant, Travis and Williamson
So, basically, Houston, Dallas/Ft. Worth, San Antonio, Austin and the poo poo immediately around them. Anywhere else, FREEDOM. One very notable county there that is not included is Brazos, where Texas A&M is, where I'm sure a poo poo-ton of these clowns go to school. Also, all those really crazy people like Louie Gohmert and Steve Stockman and their constituents, among the most moronic in Texas on average, are pretty much in East Texas, which is entirely uncovered by this.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jul 7, 2014

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

moller posted:

I thought only british people called it rocket. Also, I'm pretty sure no one had an opinion on arugula until Obama mentioned it.

I like it. It's nice and assertive and peppery. Although the best part about it is that instead of having a shelf-life of 2-4 days like a lettuce it stays good in the fridge for a week or two like spinach.
I've known about it for years because they love it here in Thailand, where it's called rocket. It's considered very hi-so (chic) to eat, so all the inteerrrrrr (international) restaurants make sure to have a lovely rocket salad with appropriately lovely dressing. It tastes pretty lovely, frankly, though I don't mind spinach leaves, if that helps.

Tony Jowns posted:

It's one of those everywhere-but-America things, Australia calls it rocket too. It's loving tasty and is great on burgers or sandwiches.
Why the rest of the world's burgers suck reason #675, succeeding "A fried egg on top makes the burger," "Pickles? Just use fresh cucumber," "make sure to marinate it in onion dip" and "The patty should be like an inch thick or thicker and the bun should be really tall."

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I have to say, I think bagels have become sort of universal in developed Red America, like Starbucks. Go back 15 years and Starbucks was some effete liberal thing that only existed on the coasts and probably required reciting the Little Red Book to order from. Cut to today and every conservative soccer mom and half the urban dads are there regularly without thinking. Bagels seem to have seeped into the mainstream via various chains that have incorporated them and slowly integrated them into Real America's menus. Probably not everywhere, of course.

Arugula, on the other hand, is for limp-wristed, pot-smoking, Bill Ayers-loving, Black Christian Islamicists with deep Kenyan anti-colonial roots.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
NIXON: Jesus Christ.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Hahaha, the guy has a sense of humor. You know he's like HEY PETE, COME GET A SHOT OF THIS - HANNITY NEEDS SOME MATERIAL TONIGHT.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

ReidRansom posted:

I've never heard it in Texas. It's more like, "don't like the weather? Tough poo poo. Maybe come back in nine months when summer's over, or something."
We say it on the Gulf Coast, but given the weather we deal with coming off the Gulf it's pretty much true. Living in Bangkok is bizarre comparatively. The weather here is like set-your-watch poo poo. Rainy season? Until recent climate pattern changes, it started on the same drat day every year and it rained in the afternoon around the same drat time every day during rainy season. Now it's all ferkakte, but anyway, yeah, the Gulf Coast was like, "Sure is pretty out this morning!"

:thunder:

:eight-hour thunderstorm:

:beautiful, sunny afternoon:

:hail:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
You also spent several regrettable years in College Station where the weather, like the gene pool, doesn't change.

#JFF # WreckingCrew #12thMan

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

zoux posted:

I grew up in B/CS.
And yet you can both read and write. Lifetime movie of the week coming up.

#Nell

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I'm guessing looking like me is a good start!

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

rscott posted:

Until I moved to Kansas I never realized how much I loving hate the wind
Missed that chapter in Frank's book, eh?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, like why am I in a plane and in a car, but on a train? Signs and wonders.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Then become either a web designer or a photographer like everyone else who has no innate artistic talent!

Otherwise you can write copy or proof things.

All design/advertising jobs pretty much pay poo poo or mediocre unless you get drafted into the NBA of design poo poo, in which case you get low upper-income pay. There are probably hundreds of JWT and Ogilvy "partners" scattered across the planet who make about $60K or something similar. I know several.

HTH

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Joementum posted:

California pizza is an abomination that must be brought to an end.
Add Cal-Mex in here too. Basically, please just stop loving trying to fusion-ise every Goddamn food, California.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

XyloJW posted:

How's the pizza in Thailand?

DemeaninDemon posted:

What's californizing food? Do they just futilely try to shove avocado and other poo poo that doesn't belong into food that's perfectly fine without it?
Yeah and don't skip the sour cream and cream cheese and other milquetoast ingredients!

ReidRansom posted:

To anyone who thinks California pizza is bad, you've obviously never had Japanese pizza. Whole lotta things that have no business being together to begin with, much less on a pizza.

EDIT: That photo is for their new Cambodian branches, but it's a Thai company and that specific """"pizza"""" is a seasonal thing they started offering here. Looks like the loving thing that lifts out of the ocean at the end of The Abyss

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

nutranurse posted:

Oh god, why would someone do this.
As bad as it sounds, here's how it gets even worse - at least in Thailand. Mayo here is not mayo as we think of it, it's more like British style salad cream, but with a shitload of sugar added. Now imagine that as the sauce on your pizza.

Thankfully, this place opened in the last couple of years and is basically the first 100% legit good pizza in Bangkok:
http://www.palapizzabangkok.com/

EDIT: Also, Thai domestic pizza all comes with ketchup packets and Thai people, generally speaking, douse the poo poo out of the ridiculous pizza they order with ketchup. It's all tragicomic to watch.

EDIT EDIT: And their ketchup produced for domestic consumption has - wait for it - tons of sugar added.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: Thai pizza is basically a crime against humanity and should result in some sort of Truth & Reconciliation Commission at minimum. That is all. Back to work.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 13, 2014

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
You know what's good if you haven't had it? Japanese tonkatsu curry rice. I never saw it until I lived in Asia and now it's one of my favorites (the Cocoichibanya super-spicy variety is crack rock - and I never feel this way about chain food).

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Terrified white people?
Non-Indian Asians. Come hang out and listen to the Thais or the ethnic Chinese Malays or anyone talk about Indian food. Dirty! Stinks! Dirty people! Unclean! You ever see them wash!? etc.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

skaboomizzy posted:

There's a Thai/Mexican place I've been wanting to try for a while, all their Mexican stuff can be seasoned "Thai hot" which sounds pretty awesome.
I need a crying Thailand flag after reading that.

Here's the key test for your Thai restaurant. Ask them if they use real "ga pow" in their Chicken With Basil. Ga pow is the specific kind of basil used here. If not, or if they can't arrange it for you, GTFO. While standard Thai basil is acceptable as a substitute, holy basil is preferable. The other kind, hualaphaa, is too fragrant and doesn't work. Anything else (mint, other basils, capsicum, etc) is not acceptable. poo poo's hard to get in America, but it's worth paying for. If your restaurant doesn't use it then sucks to their asthmar!

I can't remember how many times I've rolled in back home, ordered ga pow and been served loving bell peppers and mint leaves. It's the equivalent of ordering a hamburger and being served a pork patty with shallots instead of onions or something.

Further crimes against humanity.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Absurd Alhazred posted:

A pork patty with shallots sounds amazing, actually.
They used to serve a pork burger with rice cakes for the buns at some fast food place here. Signs and wonders.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Megadittoes. Kitfo, not so much.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

skaboomizzy posted:

Since you're the guy to ask about this, here's their dinner menu. Everything looks good to my untrained eye, but what do you think? Panang Mole seems like it would just be incredible if it's done right.
Fusion can go great, but so often goes completely wrong. You'll just have to see if it hits your palate right.

Things like penang and masamun are easy to recreate in the US as they're essentially Thai adaptations of Indian/Burmese/Muslim curries and rely heavily on readily available stuff like peanuts and anise and so on. For that reason they're also more familiar for our palates and can be adapted more easily.

The Phad Thai Curry (otherwise never order phad thai as a rule) could be good, though why use phad thai noodles? They're meh. We have an amazing chef here who runs a streetside shophouse restaurant in his full 5 star chef outfit and makes the only amazing Thai fusion I've had to date. One of his signature dishes is fettuccine penang and it rocks.

I agree, the Penang Mole has the most potential to be interesting.

Ask her if she can do Spaghetii variations of curries, those are popular here and not so bad. Basically, you just stir fry the spaghetti with a curry or with ga pow or whatever for a second at the last step and serve it. Works out surprisingly well - spaghetti phad kee mao gai (drunken chicken) can be great as can spaghetti gaeng keaw wan (green curry).

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Let us open our hymnals to Gingrich 38000:1200 wherein the leader (possibly) of the civilizing forces extols the virtues of having our children work as laborers at school. The fifth day would leave time for that.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Just keep stacking avocado slices on the coast until it topples over under the weight of its milquetoast food.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

tentative8e8op posted:

Oh my gosh, the CIA's Subway (CIA has their own Subway!) isnt held up to Subway's rigorous quality standards.

I wonder what the comments for the Pentagon's courtyard cafe are like. Are FIOAs for benign fun things like these difficult to request?
They're hilarious in how anal they all are. The one Joe posted about the grapes is great. "I do not condone putting salad bar items into the Jazz Salad..."

It's basically Milton from Office Space. That's who is running the CIA.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

illrepute posted:

we tend to think of spies as being like james bond but really, when you think about, what sort of person is going to actually be good at the intelligence analysis work? that personality type has much more in common with a neckbeard than with a shaved gorilla in a suit

e beaten
Oh yeah, I wasn't actually surprised. I have friends out that way. It's just funny how anal they all are and you get to see it and not just assume it or guess it. I mean you're reading their actual anal words.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

razorrozar posted:

one of those tag cloud things in the shape of goatse?
Or possibly just words being squeezed out of a sweaty anus.

Pope Guilty posted:

I remember reading at one point that accounting was a really good degree if you wanted to work for the fbi.
My friend who's with them majored in Japanese in university and got his masters in computer science. I think interning with their VC (or whatever they call it) outfit was how he got in, though.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

zoux posted:

Everytime I hear some politician or public official use the term "disconnect" as a noun as in "there's a disconnect between thing a and thing b" I literally gnash my teeth.
Optics is mine. What a stupid loving word. Also every lazy, clubby loving Aussie type nickname for something like "lege" (legislature), "spox" (spokesman/woman) and so on.

Orwell's essay on politics and the English language should be etched into the inside of the eyelids of everyone who talks or writes about politics. In short, write like a normal human, don't use fancy new words for existing concepts and avoid passive voice.

Unfortunately, about 80% of all political bloggers and writers would be fired if these rules were instituted, so the bad habits proliferate.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Pope Guilty posted:

It's almost like jargon is a part of every field ever everywhere.
You're not in the field, that's the thing, and neither are the reporters. They just want to sound :cool:

Every time John Dickerson opens his mouth I want to die inside is what I'm saying.

XyloJW posted:

Aussies are the worst about dumb slang. My favorite is AC/DC, the only Australian band, is referred to as Acka Dacka, or just Dacka.
Yes. Lovely people. Biggest native speaking butchers of English - including the English.

ARVO PRESO DEFO MATE

EDIT: ME AND SHAZZA ARE LISTENIN TO BARNESY AND ACADAC THEN I'M TAKIN' ER BACK TO MY UTE FER A ROOT.

EDIT EDIT: Actually it's not fair to pin bogan slang on the whole country, but that poo poo about hacking off everything after the first syllable and replacing it with an O is a national shame.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I refuse to believe that this is anything but the absolute truth about Australia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f_p0CgPeyA
I'm trying to even remotely imagine this being made today haha. NO POOFTERS! And "THE ABOS" haha, man. I don't think you could even get away with that as Monty Python satire anymore.

Joementum posted:

All the Francophone word endings in English got added during the Victorian era, which is why Americans don't write "centre", "colour", "labour", etc.
I love this fact.

Joementum posted:

How do you feel about "lede", "graf", and "hed"?
I do sometimes write lede out of habit, though I shouldn't. Graf and hed are just stupid, but if you are working in journalism and using them functionally within the scope of your career, great. I've done a shitload of copywriting in my day and we can amazingly use words like paragraph and heading just fine. If you're John Q. Public or you're a journalist writing for non-professional consumption then use the Goddamn real words.

• Locked thread