Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The Michael Hastings book about Newsweek was disappointing in my opinion. It was obviously just a rough draft. If you enjoyed that chapter in his 2012 ebook where he pretended to be Hunter Thompson, you'll like it, but otherwise not so much.

Or maybe I'm just too desensitized to that stuff from the internet to the point that none of it was as shocking as he intended it to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
It's a shame that Thompson became a caricature of himself in his later writing Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail: 1972 is still the best campaign memoir ever written and you wish that he still had that energy for Better Than Sex, his book about the 1992 campaign, but it's mostly scans of faxes that he sent to Clinton staffers while drunk.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

XyloJW posted:

It kind of annoyed me that what felt like half of Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail was excuses for why he hadn't written it yet or for how his publisher was getting mad at him for missing deadlines.

That was all real, by the way. If you ever visit the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame they have a whole wall of HSTs hand written letters to his boss asking them to mail him more speed.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

paragon1 posted:

So, I have been wondering, are we only allowed to make political threads in Debate Disco, or can we make a thread debating anything?

I'm envisioning some kind of booze/burger argument thunderdome.

Posting new threads is against the rules in D&D.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Before the Storm is better than Nixonlabd, in my opinion, but Nixon Agonistes is better than both and is the one book you should read to understand American politics.

I've got the Reagan book on preorder and am reading Republican Gomorrah while I wait, which I hope will be a better update on movement conservatism than Spanking the Donkey was, which I found disappointing.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Comedians are usually less informed about politics than they believe, which makes it embarrassing when they try to pronounce on them seriously.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Nixon was years before my time, what's a good start (besides Wikipedia) to get in on the insanity?

I just want to understand joe's jokes :(

Honestly, start by reading or even just watching the movie version of All The President's Men. It will at least disabuse you of the notion that Watergate was just a hotel burglary.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Wolfsheim posted:

I've never seen it, but I've heard that the show that most consistently matches real-life beltway politics is Veep, confirm/deny

I can confirm that it's really funny.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Who What Now posted:

For those who don't want to wade through the SCotUS thread, what happened?

"Closely held" (i.e. private, majority ownership) corporations whose owners have strong religious beliefs about contraception cannot be forced to provide it to employees if they manage employee health insurance.

This ruling does not apply to vaccines or blood transfusions because Justice Kennedy thinks that people with those religious beliefs are nutty.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Victoria Jackson is running for Williamson Country Tennessee Commissioner this year, so we'll get a numerical gauge of her popularity in at least one region.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Dan now spends his days trying to sell overpriced vodka in ridiculous packaging.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Speaking of conservative comic actors, Malcolm in the Middle and Sheriff Joe are buds.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I would watch a Frankie Muniz & Steven Seagal buddy cop martial arts movie.

Pissflaps posted:

Malcolm Somewhere in the Middle

:golfclap:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The posts people get reported for making are almost always incredibly boring, so it's not really a mark of pride to top that ranking.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

SedanChair posted:

I was the soul of wise, measured posting in the gun thread.

I'll admit that I enjoy very little about those threads, but the overwhelming majority of Leninists posting on SA is interesting if nothing else.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Agreed. We should all listen to Tom Friedman more.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
OK, but enough meta poo poo, let's spend a minute reflecting on how awesome Abe Lincoln's slippers were.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Captain_Maclaine posted:

You really are digging those slippers, dude.

Yeah, I am. I'd wear the poo poo out of those slippers.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Dancin' David Gregory is still the worst offender in that video.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Hold on, Karl Rove is on Fox News saying that David Gregory might not have embarrassed himself in that video....

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

XyloJW posted:

Back when the internet was young, I found a website selling exotic meats. It was a plain html website with just the choices of meat, a description, a picture, and "email for price and shipping information." Buffalo steaks and buffalo burgers at the top, then ground emu chuck. Then lion steaks and lion ribs. Hippo steaks and hippo roasts. Ground giraffe meat. And at the bottom, "We have acquired an elephant. Transporting elephant meat is illegal in many countries, so please verify that you have a way to receive it before contacting us. We will cut to specification."

I've had whale before and it's pretty tasty.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Femur posted:

Did it taste like pork?

No, it was a bit gamey.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I don't see what's so surprising about the claim that cooking food in fat makes it taste better.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
This Cook Put Butter in a Pan. You Won't Believe What Happened Next.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

willus posted:

How is everyone this fine evening?

"It's morning in America." ~ Ronald Wilson Reagan

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I think it might say something about America that our politicians' go to method of insulting a foreign country involves food.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Further in that twitter thread Rep. Paul Gosar, DDS reveals that he eats gluten free, so he wouldn't eat Belgian waffles anyway.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

XyloJW posted:

Imagine having like Bob Johnson (D-Batman) on CSPAN.

There is Mike Rogers (R-Hell)

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
NYT review of Belgian men, 1882.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Speaking of Batman, Ann, which superhero would Mitt most like to be?

Ooooh, nice try but no.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Apparently there was a Mormon Marvel superhero, but it was a woman named Dr. Deseret and she was from an alternate history where the South won the Civil War.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Senator Thune is watching the game.

But two thirds of Vermont's Congressional delegation are living it.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
As usual, Ted Cruz is trying too hard.

also: omg gold fringes! someone alert Alex Jones!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Of course, Ted Cruz decided that he had to out-do his colleagues with the fake(?) jingoism. He's really overcompensating for that time he was a Canadian, which was his entire life until last month.

Also, it wasn't just Freedom Fries. There was Victory Cabbage too! :hist101:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Matoi Ryuko posted:

How come America only gets one soccer team even though we have 28x Belgum's population?

Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and American Samoa have teams too!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Ratoslov posted:

Okay, so I've got myself a taste for some olde-fashioned cocktail mixing. I like me some whiskey sours with home-made sour mix, but I wanna try something else. Important note: I am pretty drat broke and don't really want to make anything that involves more than one bottle of liquor at a time. What should I make?

It's a good time of year for mojitos.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The US might not have a great World Cup record, but we're still 107-2 in the World Series.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

ReidRansom posted:

And Canada pretty much. May as well toss in Mexico also soon enough.

Could have had Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, Syria, Ukraine, and Iraq on that list, but America wasn't ready for President McCain. :smith:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Why was Pikachu the Japanese national team's mascot again

Joementum posted:

Could have had Uzbeki-beki-beki-stan-stan on that list, but America wasn't ready for President Cain. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Woah. I didn't know that the guy in the peyote employment case that started the whole RFRA business was named Al Smith. That's some deeply ironic poo poo right there.

• Locked thread