Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deep dish peat moss

2014 : WHAT SCIENTIFIC IDEA IS READY FOR RETIREMENT?
The idea that the only correct answer is one that can be empirically proven.

2013 : WHAT *SHOULD* WE BE WORRIED ABOUT?
The social sciences being invaded by those who view them as a platform for Social Justice, diluting progress. Also, the current West African Ebola outbreak becoming a global pandemic and threatening the survival of our species.

2012 : WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE DEEP, ELEGANT, OR BEAUTIFUL EXPLANATION?
Karl Pilkington, standing in front of Petra in Jordan, said something to the effect of "I would rather be living in the cave across the canyon looking at this facade every day, than living in the palace and looking at a cave every day."

2011 : WHAT SCIENTIFIC CONCEPT WOULD IMPROVE EVERYBODY'S COGNITIVE TOOLKIT?
Dissociation of the brain from the individual.

2010 : HOW IS THE INTERNET CHANGING THE WAY YOU THINK?
I feel alone during the internet's off-peak hours, even though there is an entire active world around me.

2009 : WHAT WILL CHANGE EVERYTHING?
Better understanding of the human thought process will allow the application of a more scientific form of empathy, allowing us to empathize with the reasons behind one's feelings, as opposed to the feelings themselves.

2008 : WHAT HAVE YOU CHANGED YOUR MIND ABOUT? WHY?
Ethics in research. Progress supersedes moral quandary.

2007 : WHAT ARE YOU OPTIMISTIC ABOUT?
Digitization of the human psyche, and by proxy, an escape from the problems of the physical realm.

2006 : WHAT IS YOUR DANGEROUS IDEA?
Revolution and a violent, bloody fight for an equal distribution of wealth.

2005 : WHAT DO YOU BELIEVE IS TRUE EVEN THOUGH YOU CANNOT PROVE IT?
That the final seconds of human consciousness before death are stretched infinitely through time dilation as the brain floods with dimethyltryptamine, and at the very moment of death we will each experience a virtually limitless 'afterlife' restricted solely to our fading consciousness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss

Post your own answers, edge.org might have answers from the world's smartest individuals but I want answers from the world's most hosed-up

ron color
2008: whoah do you really think that
2005: me too man same every word

my new dog

by Nyc_Tattoo
2007 would be nice

ChairmanMeow

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!

Funnypost Collabo posted:

the world's most hosed-up
hey

deep dish peat moss

ron color posted:

2008: whoah do you really think that

In a certain fashion, yeah, as long as it's all volunteer-based and participants are informed of what they're getting in to. We don't need another Tuskegee or air crib.

deep dish peat moss

I would willingly sacrifice my life in the name progress, but I'm not allowed to because that kind of research is illegal.

Pro Target

Ethics in research. Progress supersedes moral quandary.

!!!

Pro Target

In a certain fashion, yeah, as long as it's all volunteer-based and participants are informed of what they're getting in to. We don't need another Tuskegee or air crib.

"Volunteer Based" for something like experimental medical research almost always means exploiting the vulnerable

dogcrash truther
its okay to not like mice and rats, and its okay to stick needles in them and make them have growths and its okay to mutilate them and to learn special techniques of breaking their necks very quickly so as to be humane after making them live lives of torture and suffering but please dont stand outside the lab and scream "I loving LOVE SCIENCE" after each death because it is throwing the researchers off their game

to quote that mad magazine guy, "What should I worry about, me?" no. not really. you're fine. I was worried because i thought, you know, when I had a Mickey Ds Grilled Onion Cheddar Burger, it was really loving good. it's only a matter of time before it catches on and then maybe when I go to mickey ds, they'll say "we're out of onions" because its' not like they sell onion rings or anything. anyway, turns out I asked the guy and they said they have lots of onions and not to worry, and that's pretty much true of everything.

just before he was shot, michael schwerner said to his murderer "Sir, I know just how you feel."

a screwdriver

before the internet I used to drive around pointing at words and waiting for knowledge, now when i do that something happens

i know this guy that had liver failure and he was on a waiting list for a liver and eventually they got him a liver and put it in him, and instead of dying, he lived. the liver was from a 25 year old heroin addict who had overdosed and the guy they put it in was in his forties. anyway, he told me to keep this on the DL but when the doctors put it in him they told him that basically, he was going to be 25 again instead of 40 and sure enough he began to lose wrinkles and be able to drink wine without getting a headache and stuff, so i think it's going to change everything when they realize that they can put old peoples livers into young people and then teenagers wont be so annoying anymore, because won't be 15 or whatever. they'll be 60, liver-wise, which apparently is all that matters. id ont know how we're going to justify killing all those grandpas and grandmas but i guess that's just part of changing everything, which is that you cant figure it out in advance, you just have to "go for it."

i used to think graffitti was cool, but when you think about it its just doodling on buildings, which is kind of lame

life is really good, man. it's totally cool. Lots of good stuff happens, and if good stuff isn't happening for you, it's probably right around the corner.

it's a bar where you can go in and challenge anyone to all these different contests, like a pissing contest, and theyve got a room with gutters and lines on the floor that say "5FT" "10FT" and so on and instead of there just being bartenders there are referees, and you dont pay for the alcohol, you just pay for the referees to judge your contests. okayt maybe you pay for the alcohol a bit, but not as much as you normally would. so there's like a wrestling room,a nd arm wrestling tables, and rock paper scissors, and all of this is refereed by actual referees and you get your name up on a board that says what you did, like if you peed 8 ft, and that'[s a record, then you get your name there, but even if you just peed 2 ft, it still goes on your record, and you can show people later. there's lots of games, and the name of the bar is 'TESTEYS, because its where you go for contests, and also to show your balls (whose balls are bigger is one of the contests). anyway the reason its dangerous is that you don't get a license and you have the bar in an abandoned steel mill

i came up with a number of popular and famous memes. i was the guy that said them first.

deep dish peat moss

Pro Target posted:

"Volunteer Based" for something like experimental medical research almost always means exploiting the vulnerable

After the violent revolution of my 2006 answer there won't quite be 'vulnerable' in the same capacity that exists now

Pro Target

Then why not experiment on the bourgeois instead

deep dish peat moss

dogcrash truther posted:

i know this guy that had liver failure and he was on a waiting list for a liver and eventually they got him a liver and put it in him, and instead of dying, he lived. the liver was from a 25 year old heroin addict who had overdosed and the guy they put it in was in his forties. anyway, he told me to keep this on the DL but when the doctors put it in him they told him that basically, he was going to be 25 again instead of 40 and sure enough he began to lose wrinkles and be able to drink wine without getting a headache and stuff, so i think it's going to change everything when they realize that they can put old peoples livers into young people and then teenagers wont be so annoying anymore, because won't be 15 or whatever. they'll be 60, liver-wise, which apparently is all that matters. id ont know how we're going to justify killing all those grandpas and grandmas but i guess that's just part of changing everything, which is that you cant figure it out in advance, you just have to "go for it."

lol

deep dish peat moss

Pro Target posted:

Then why not experiment on the bourgeois instead

The only thing they've done wrong is had enough money to isolate themselves from the world and lose touch with what it means to be human. Take away the money, return the humanity.

deep dish peat moss

I imagine all of Human Society as a guy playing Civilization, and I find myself wishing he would go for the Long Game and spam wonders instead of churning out tanks to protect his Industrial era workers and scouts.

Pro Target

The only thing they've done wrong is had enough money to isolate themselves from the world and lose touch with what it means to be human. Take away the money, return the humanity.

What a naive ideology

Pro Target

actually "all they did wrong" was perpetuate the cruel and intentional degradation of humankind for their own gain, for centuries and then for countless centuries before that as feudalism

dogcrash truther
what progress is being stifled by ethics, or is the refinement of more humane ethical standards, in fact, part of the progress of scientific research?

Pro Target

theyre trying to develop the best serum for killing mice but they ran out of mice and now they need to use humans

deep dish peat moss

Pro Target posted:

actually "all they did wrong" was perpetuate the cruel and intentional degradation of humankind for their own gain, for centuries and then for countless centuries before that as feudalism

Because of their detachment from humanity, yeah. Remove the barrier and within two generations the problem will solve itself.

Pro Target

Actually if you dont remove them permanently you've left a dangerous counter-revolutionary element that will stab you in the back

dogcrash truther
seems to me like "progress" without ethics is an ideology of capital so I'm not sure how you think you'll eliminate the bourgeoisie but retain the structural elements of capitalism without sowing the seeds of counter-revolution

deep dish peat moss

dogcrash truther posted:

what progress is being stifled by ethics, or is the refinement of more humane ethical standards, in fact, part of the progress of scientific research?

It's important to separate my use of the term ethics from your personal moral beliefs, and instead define it as "the moral beliefs of each member of society". Ethical guidelines aren't always "right", think of e.g. Stem Cell research being impeded by religious ethical beliefs, the fact that some schools or textbooks still teach creation or abstinence-only sexual education, the ethical guidelines of the superelite in reducing the quality of life of the working class, the belief that "I earned my money, so they should too", religious wars, etc.

It's not that ethics are bad, it's that they're subjective, and any time you use your ethics to prove a point, someone else can prove the opposite point with their own moral guidelines. It's too polarizing to be a successful impetus.

deep dish peat moss

Pro Target posted:

Actually if you dont remove them permanently you've left a dangerous counter-revolutionary element that will stab you in the back

Anyone who would be willing to fight it will die in the revolution.

deep dish peat moss

I can tie the two together by saying that my own ethical beliefs against killing and experimenting on the bourgeois are irrelevant in the name of progress, which necessitates the killing and exploitation of the bourgeois.

Pro Target

Anyone who would be willing to fight it will die in the revolution.

Yeah, the most cowardly and conniving class is going to pick up an AK and go toe-to-toe with the proletarian masses

Pro Target

sounds like you aint readany theory at all, m8

deep dish peat moss

I feel like money and influence are the only weapons they wield and without the money, they wouldn't have the influence, and they would be powerless

dogcrash truther

I feel like money and influence are the only weapons they wield and without the money, they wouldn't have the influence, and they would be powerless

money and influence are two signs within the totalizing superstructure of capitalism: they're external markers of a huge and complex process. That's why following the money is so important, because it's not so much who has it as how it gets from place to place that matters. taking money away from the bourgeoise is like trying to drain a river without damming it first. It just keeps on flowing

deep dish peat moss

I don't entirely agree with the presupposition that all future actions will fit within a historic modality.

dogcrash truther

I don't entirely agree with the presupposition that all future actions will fit within a historic modality.

how can you define "progress" if that's the case?

deep dish peat moss

Breaking free of the historic modality we shackle ourselves to and moving onward to new horizons we couldn't currently imagine.

dogcrash truther

Breaking free of the historic modality we shackle ourselves to and moving onward to new horizons we couldn't currently imagine.

has progress ever happened, then, in your opinion, and if so when?

poverty goat

it's all been downhill since the ancient greeks discovered democracy

Ace of Baes
idk

arms/weapons technology progressing in combination with unstable turbulent countries

one time i read someone describe dogs as genetically engineered servants who have to lvoe you

if u had a self-driving car that got like 100+ miles to the gallon, which i think we'll prob get in our life time, u could drive anywhere with the only inconvience being waiting longer, so like you could go to sleep for the night and wake up in another country or state or w/e it'll make keeping in touch w/e ppl alot easier ,i know this is like trains in europe or other countries or w/e but i see this happening in america before we get the infrastructure for mass transit for the whole nation

i bought a flip phone a few months ago and it doesnt have data and ive noticed i like it a lot more than having a smart phone because im much more observational and aware of whats going on around me and read ppls body language better etc.

when they figure out how to make food taste like any other food despite the nutritional content, so like you could be eating (nutritional equivilent) bean sprouts and brocolli but it tastes like reeses peanut butter cup ice cream

onions, i used to hate them when i was a kid, then one day when i was an adult i was like, hell, i'll give em another shot, and now i think they're alright

4th of july weekend, also im taking 5 days of vacation in a couple weeks

i want to have a great big super soaker fight with expensive rear end super soakers with my friends and im gonna get the one that got banned

i think my girlfriend is worried im gonna leave her or that i dont like her as much as she likes me

Frank Horrigan

by Ralp

Nacho Destroyer posted:

one time i read someone describe dogs as genetically engineered servants who have to lvoe you

Dogs are a literal slave species. We enslaved an entire species, then engaged in a 10,000 year long eugenics campaign to slowly change them into forms better suited for being slaves to humanity.

Ace of Baes

Frank Horrigan posted:

Dogs are a literal slave species. We enslaved an entire species, then modified them to be better slaves.

im glad

Frank Horrigan

by Ralp
goddammit greg, don't quote me before I've edited my post a dozen times

deep dish peat moss

It's everywhere and I don't want to narrow its scope down to a single event. Most of the modern world would be incomprehensible to a man born 1,000 years ago, much of the world 1,000 years from now would be incomprehensible to us. I don't think it's up to us to dictate the standing of the world 1,000 years from now, only to drive ourselves and our species towards it. There are some obvious imperatives such as not destroying the world or its ecosystems, or not submitting the working class to a deeper form of slavery, as those would inhibit the ability for our species to survive another 1,000 years. To try and shape the destiny of our species is to claim that we know, better than the people of the future, what the people of the future will want, or feel is 'right' or necessary.

If I had to narrow it down, how about medicine? For thousands of years man considered illness to be the working of a divine or otherworldly being of great power. The first individuals to consider a natural, defeatable cause behind illness were ridiculed and told that their way of thinking did not fit the established model of the way the world worked, but they ignored the historic model and pushed us in to an era where the war on sickness is one that we could potentially win. I guess I consider 'progress' to be the birth of new ideas and methods of thought, regardless of their validity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss

Frank Horrigan posted:

Dogs are a literal slave species. We enslaved an entire species, then engaged in a 10,000 year long eugenics campaign to slowly change them into forms better suited for being slaves to humanity.

I don't even feel good about having a dog anymore

• Locked thread