Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

go away soag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

Cleretic posted:

I still say Working Dog should get working on the Ricky Muir biopic ASAP.

Shane Jacobson as Muir, John Clarke as Glenn Druery

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
And introducing a Brick With Eyes as Glenn Lazarus.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Lachy Hume as Clive Palmer

Reece Witherspoon as Jacqui Lambi

Chow Yun Fat as Dio Wang

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Bifauxnen posted:

自殺しなさい

You become more like us with every passing day.

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥
hugo weaving as tones, he can do that cold menacing thing really well

eric bana as ricky

Tahir as joe hockey

i would watch this movie

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Sir Shion posted:

You become more like us with every passing day.

What? I never knew you guys were weeaboos! poo poo!

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Soag posted:

hugo weaving as tones, he can do that cold menacing thing really well

He can do happy too

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
Under 30, lost your job and can't find new work? Well then....

quote:

Social Services Minister Kevin Andrews tells job seekers to work for free

Young people struggling to find paid work should consider volunteering their time in the workforce as a foot in the door to employment, according to Social Services Minister Kevin Andrews.

Mr Andrews has previously suggested young people facing the prospect of no dole for six months should take a job they don’t really want or do a course.

From 2015, people up to 30 years old will have to wait six months for an unemployment benefit.

Mr Andrews said unpaid work showed employers, “you’re out there, you’re proactive, you actually want to do something”.

“I worked part-time in school and through university, but then I actually worked on a voluntary basis for a month. I was looking for a job and I wasn’t able to get one,” he said.

“By the end of that month the people I was working with said, ‘oh, well we’ve got a job, would you like to take it’. So I’ve always believed in taking a job, whatever it is.”

Asked about the possibility of a young person undertaking work experience that did not eventuate in paid work amid the six-month delay, Mr Andrews said it was worth having a go.

“I’m not saying it’s always easy, but I think the thing is to be proactive. Not to sit down and say, you know, ‘poor me’,” he said.

Canberra 28-year-old Miriam Dunn has taken up temporary jobs through a recruitment agency since completing her PhD in climate science two months ago, but has struggled to secure permanent positions despite applying for receptionist jobs to research roles.
While work experience could sometimes lead to paid employment, Ms Dunn said competition for positions was fierce and even one or two day’s work wasn’t enough to pay the bills.
“At the age of 28 I’ve had to ask my parents for financial support, which is really embarrassing and a financial burden on them, and not everyone is in [that] situation. I’m very lucky,” she said.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/social-services-minister-kevin-andrews-tells-job-seekers-to-work-for-free-20140701-zsrpi.html

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

So basically work for the dole, minus the dole.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

God this poo poo makes me angry

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Tokamak posted:

The Salvos get roughly half of their funding from the government. They are a good example of a business that shouldn't be classified as a charity.

"salvos struggle for donations" - Gets 150 million from the government....

The funding that they get goes towards running charitable activities and support programs that the government and the public and private sectors support.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
That's adorable.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Don't have any money, young people? Consider spending money for transport, then working, for no money.

Bomb-Bunny
Mar 4, 2007
A true population explosion.

So a thing Kevin Andrews did for a month is now a legitimate basis for national policy decisions affecting millions of Australians under thirty?

As an Australian under thirty (luckily one employed in a career I love) does the inverse apply that our months on welfare trying to find work allow us to make one decision for Kevin Andrews?

One where he kill his areself?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Freudian Slip posted:

Mr Andrews said unpaid work showed employers, “you’re out there a sucker, you’re proactivell work for free, you actually want to do something know your place, which is under the capitalist bootheel”.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

I finish my degree next year. I'll be 25, and if I don't find a job straight away, I'm out on my arse because my parents can't afford to pay my rent or support me. I don't know how I'll be able to live if I can't get a job by the time I graduate. It's a huge source of anxiety for me, and I'll do my utmost to ensure that I will have a job when I graduate, but there's still a significant risk that I won't be able to find one.

These sociopaths are wilfully ignoring the fact that an unemployed person under 30 will have no way pay for food or rent. They're going to kill people (or severely damage their lives), and they don't care. They're saying that the 6 months without support is an incentive to get a job (and a job is supposed to be some sort of divine dignity-giving thing), but you're proper hosed if you can't actually FIND a job. They're pretending that everyone on Newstart prefers being on centrelink to being in a job. They KNOW that the majority of people on Newstart are legitimately looking for work. They just don't care. They want to make people so desperate that they will take jobs with horrific conditions, and stay in horrible jobs in fear of being caught in the so-called "safety net".

e: If I do what Kevin Andrews suggests and find unpaid work, that won't change the fact that I will have zero income. I won't have money for transport or clothes, let alone food or rent. I can't live on bootstraps.

Then there's also the reality that companies won't really take on volunteers because of insurance reasons. If they DO, that then devalues the work of the people getting paid to do that work "oh, don't want to take a paycut? there are people out there who want to do this for FREE".

gently caress.

The Before Times fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jul 1, 2014

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
Kevin Andews, who resided at Newman College whilst completing his Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Laws at Melbourne University, had to work for free for a month until he could successfully parlay his immense privilege into a position as a research solicitor at the Law Institute of Victoria.

Sounds like a real bootstraps story that all of us jobseekers can use for inspiration.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I look forward to this new golden age where there is exactly enough jobs for every single Australian, where no company ever downsizes or goes out of business and no one is ever fired or retrenched.

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥

Palmersaurus posted:

He can do happy too

amazing

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-07-01/new-pup-senator-jacqui-lambie-says-she-may-cross-floor-on-issues/5563336

quote:

Another Senator working to get his message out early is NSW Liberal Democrat David Leyonhjelm, who says his party's main goal for his six-year term will be to encourage a culture of less government interference and spending.

He has pointed to that ethos in defending his party's decision to accept donations from tobacco companies.

And has called for current restrictions on smoking to be lifted.

"The Government doesn't know what's good for people - it's just made up of politicians like me and public servants, who aren't the smartest people in the world," he said.

"And in any case, people have a right to make up their own mind, decide for themselves, and the Government should respect that."[

But he has rejected the idea of him giving up his wage as a Senator.

"If I said I don't want to be paid, or my party handed back the electoral funding, it wouldn't change the system," he said.

"I've likened it to peeing in a wetsuit: it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy, but nobody notices."

I want small government (except for the bit that pays me money) and I want laws that favour people that also pay me money.

Oh, the externalised cost of smoking on society at large and the health budget? Who gives a gently caress.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Palmersaurus posted:

I look forward to this new golden age where there is exactly enough jobs for every single Australian, where no company ever downsizes or goes out of business and no one is ever fired or retrenched.

All unemployed to report to boot camp at 0600 for deployment to the Gulf.

We're going back in - again.

Ol Sweepy
Nov 28, 2005

Safety First
"Dear Minister,

After reading your advice in the paper I would like to volunteer myself to work in your office for free for a week if you believe that this could lead to the prospect of paid work with the Australian Government in the field of Social Services.
Please find attached my resume outlining my current experience.

I look forward to starting ASAP.

Kind regards

Bompacho."

I'm almost tempted to send it just to see if I get a response.

Actually it would be tempting to send it to every sitting LNP member near me in just to see if any of them would even have me as a little experiment on Andrew's theory.

Ol Sweepy fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jul 1, 2014

DAAS Kapitalist
Nov 9, 2005

Jackass: The Mad Monk

Don't try this at home.

Mithranderp posted:

They're going to kill people (or severely damage their lives), and they don't care.
If you put half a million people under severe financial stress as they plan to, it will have a measurable impact on suicide, prostitution and crime.

The Liberals have jumped up and down and had a Royal Commission over a handful of deaths in the insulation industry. What they are doing will quite easily kill dozens of people per year through suicide. It just won't be a hard on-paper link that you can point at. Just like sending refugees back to be murdered.

The next thing coming will be the American approach to the crime problem they've created - funding more jails and selling the prisoners to work for private companies for peanuts, undercutting other workers.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Just a reminder:

Poors get free food = undermines personal responsibility

Richies get free labor = a serious way to reduce unemployment

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

DAAS Kapitalist posted:

The next thing coming will be the American approach to the crime problem they've created - funding more jails and selling the prisoners to work for private companies for peanuts, undercutting other workers.

It's already here

https://www.correctiveservices.wa.gov.au/prisons/prison-locations/acacia.aspx

Supposedly they're not huge scumbags like the american private prisons though.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I just want to say that trying to get any sort of proof of age rolling without a driver's license is really annoying.

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥

Sir Shion posted:

It's already here

https://www.correctiveservices.wa.gov.au/prisons/prison-locations/acacia.aspx

Supposedly they're not huge scumbags like the american private prisons though.

no they leave that niche to serco

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Handed in the resume to JB-HiFi for a job opening, they told me they were literally shipping someone from NSW to fill the position instead. Despite advertising a job opening. :(

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

DAAS Kapitalist posted:

The Liberals have jumped up and down and had a Royal Commission over a handful of deaths in the insulation industry.
Xstrata/Glencore had 26 workers die in the workplace in 2013. Royal commission now.

They also paid virtually no tax on profits from Australian operations thanks to the magic of transfer pricing.

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jul 1, 2014

DAAS Kapitalist
Nov 9, 2005

Jackass: The Mad Monk

Don't try this at home.

Mr Chips posted:

Xstrata/Glencore had 26 workers die in workplace accidents in 2013. Royal commission now.

Working class Liberal voters would literally rather die than be union members.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

DAAS Kapitalist posted:

Working class Liberal voters would literally rather die than be union members.

Most of those were in Africa, South America and New Guinea, and at least one of the Australian deaths was not a workplace accident (heart attack). But given the hue and cry over 4 deaths on the home insulation scheme, the silence over the number of fatalities in Australian mining is stark.

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."

WTF? That's got to be a mistake

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Freudian Slip posted:

Incoming deal announcement?

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Freudian Slip posted:

I think it's just a database mistake given that Muir took Kroger's seat.

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
Did some more snooping and yeah looks just to be an error. Sorry guys, shows over

quote:

Emma Griffiths
@EJGriffiths (ABC)
Government assures me that David Bushby is Coalition Senate whip, not Ricky Muir

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Kevin Andrews is the biggest shitlord when it comes to anything like this. His comments on disadvantaged youth and mental illness show a complete divorce from reality. But this is the guy who implemented WorkChoices under Howard, enabling employers to choose to gently caress over their employees if they so wish.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

Nice to see the Liberals attitudes to the disabled extends beyond just their statements in the media. I, for one, am glad we finally have a consistent political party in power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Anidav posted:

Handed in the resume to JB-HiFi for a job opening, they told me they were literally shipping someone from NSW to fill the position instead. Despite advertising a job opening. :(

Games Workshop in the city were hiring a while ago, not sure if they still are, might be worth checking out.

• Locked thread