Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
I bought some gochujang chili paste, should this be refridgerated? The label is entirely in Korean so I have no idea what it says.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I've always put it in the fridge, because the amount of sugar in there is like to attract ants.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

TangentEnigma posted:

I can see leaving out the more durable tomatoes like romas or something, but the juicier kinds like most heirlooms go to complete poo poo in like two days top if they're left out.

My tomatoes come off the vine and get used right away :smug:

Year round... :smug: :smug: :smug:

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

TangentEnigma posted:

I can see leaving out the more durable tomatoes like romas or something, but the juicier kinds like most heirlooms go to complete poo poo in like two days top if they're left out.

How do you acquire juicy ripe tomatoes that will go bad in two days and actually leave them uneaten for two days?

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

Che Delilas posted:

The question is, what's NOT in it? Natural peanut butters like Adams like to go in the fridge because they don't have any preservatives and will develop mold or the oils will go rancid eventually if left at room temp. Jif or Skippy is fine with the pantry for a long time.

Adams contains just as many preservatives as Jif and Skippy (that is, none). "Natural" just means it has no added hydrogenated oil or trans fats.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Foodahn posted:

I bought some gochujang chili paste, should this be refridgerated? The label is entirely in Korean so I have no idea what it says.

Cool, dry. Once upon a time there'd be a cool, dark place with shelves - the pantry - where stuff like that could be placed, but the advent of cramped apartments instead of stand-alone houses has created this black hole in housecraft where stuff that belonged in the pantry get either left on the counter or put in the fridge.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Any open bread molds really fast due to us living right off the gulf coast. The cheaper loaves of bread that just end up being used for toast go in the fridge, while everything else stays bagged up on the counter.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

If you're toasting it, try putting your sliced loaf of bread in the freezer instead. The slices come loose easily enough while frozen, and you can put them straight into the toaster without thawing.

We'll sometimes do this if it looks like we won't finish a loaf of bread before it gets stale or moldy. The end result is much better than refrigerated bread, although we do our best not to buy more bread than we can use while it's still fresh.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Berries and grapes make pretty nice frozen snacks BTW.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
nth'ing the butter crock thing.. i had zero idea, and i literally just bought one from amazon.

but seriously, does the butter not get wet ?

interesting about most things i was putting in the fridge... time to reorganize. What is reccomended for storing your veggies outside then ?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Roundboy posted:

nth'ing the butter crock thing.. i had zero idea, and i literally just bought one from amazon.

but seriously, does the butter not get wet ?

interesting about most things i was putting in the fridge... time to reorganize. What is reccomended for storing your veggies outside then ?

butter is mostly fat. the water just slicks off.

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
you can store bananas in the fridge just mind that the peel will brown, while the flesh stays normal

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Che Delilas posted:

The question is, what's NOT in it? Natural peanut butters like Adams like to go in the fridge because they don't have any preservatives and will develop mold or the oils will go rancid eventually if left at room temp. Jif or Skippy is fine with the pantry for a long time.

Even those brands will go rancid after a couple months.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Even those brands will go rancid after a couple months.

What are you even talking about? Peanut butter doesn't go bad in the cupboard.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

The oils in peanut butter will go rancid with time, just like any other oil. The time it takes varies depending on storage conditions. Refrigeration will extend the life of it, but it will last more than long enough in a cool dry pantry for most people to use it up before it goes bad. Keeping it in the fridge also make it a pain to actually use.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Yeah I have to admit I bought premium peanut butter, from various places including the kind that is just smushed right in front of you and having to keep it in the fridge was a pain in the rear end so I just went back to buying the giant tubs of Jif at Costco. I know this makes me a terrible person but gently caress it, room temp easy to spread peanut butter is just a trillion times easier for me.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

What are you even talking about? Peanut butter doesn't go bad in the cupboard.

It sure as poo poo does. Sorry your taste buds can't tell the difference between fresh and rancid fat. :(

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

YEAST? gently caress off yeast. That goes in the cupboard, not the fridge. What the gently caress?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Prodigal T-REX posted:

you can store bananas in the fridge just mind that the peel will brown, while the flesh stays normal

Also, this is not true in the slightest. The flesh of the banana softens hugely after only a few hours in the fridge. Unless you think bananas are supposed to be a mushy paste on the inside, I can't imagine how you think putting bananas in the fridge is OK.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Scientastic posted:

YEAST? gently caress off yeast. That goes in the cupboard, not the fridge. What the gently caress?

if it's fresh cake yeast it should go in the fridge

also if it's brewing yeast, but that is a very small subset of home cooks.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

GrAviTy84 posted:

if it's fresh cake yeast it should go in the fridge

also if it's brewing yeast, but that is a very small subset of home cooks.

Aaaah, different yeasts. I understand now.

Although that doesn't explain why, when I went to my kitchen drawer to check my bread yeast, it did indeed say that it needed to be refrigerated. Because it clearly doesn't.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Scientastic posted:

Aaaah, different yeasts. I understand now.

Although that doesn't explain why, when I went to my kitchen drawer to check my bread yeast, it did indeed say that it needed to be refrigerated. Because it clearly doesn't.

Bread yeast at least will last longer in the fridge though. And even then you have about 6 months before it starts dying off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

I buy a 1 lb bag of SAF instant yeast and keep it in the freezer. It lasts basically forever and if there's a downside I've yet to see it.

• Locked thread