Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

neongrey posted:

To tie this back to TG, I dream of one day adapting Avendar's setting to some tabletop game or other. It will be beautiful and perfect and no one will ever buy it. :smithicide:

I ran a Dungeon World campaign that was set in Armageddon's world and it went pretty well. You get to really understand the world you're playing in when you play a MUD, and even though the players had never tried Armageddon before, I was able to help them understand the concept. Plus there's already a plethora of information in their website, so I had people just read their racial info and figure out a background from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

I always wonder what we could do if we got a group of goons rolling on one of the IRE muds (Achaea, Aetolia, Imperian and Lusternia - there's also Midkemia Online produced by them but..bleh). One of IREs gimmicks is that everything - cities, guilds, religious orders etc - is player run. If we could get some people on board maybe we'd be able to make the people who take the games far, far, far too seriously very unhappy, which is always fun.

I haven't touched any of the IRE games in years though so I don't know if it's still possible.

This was discussed in the last thread, but there are only about a dozen total goons and that may not be enough. However, it would be potentially beneficial, especially for scripting and stuff, if we did it. This thread is seeing a lot more activity than the last one, so if people are willing, I'd be 100% willing to goonrush any of those games. We'd have to either actually, or feign roleplay in order to fit in, but we could fully take over some stuff if we played actively for a little while.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
This thread takes me back, so far back. I used to play SWMUD and ran a SW MUSH for awhile, playing on a variety of others for short periods of time. I even played Firan for a couple months at a point. They really did have a good code base, it was really in depth. They also had RP that was really weird at times.

I think I might still have a character on SW MUD, maybe I'll fire up the ol' SimpleMU and check it out again. I never did manage to get past level 6 or 7 with my primary though. The solo grinding just got way too much for me.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

SquadronROE posted:

This thread takes me back, so far back. I used to play SWMUD and ran a SW MUSH for awhile, playing on a variety of others for short periods of time. I even played Firan for a couple months at a point. They really did have a good code base, it was really in depth. They also had RP that was really weird at times.

I think I might still have a character on SW MUD, maybe I'll fire up the ol' SimpleMU and check it out again. I never did manage to get past level 6 or 7 with my primary though. The solo grinding just got way too much for me.

I've got an HM 22 sci/jedi that I've had for years. If my current ISP issues get sorted out (and if I have free time), I could probably power level you up a little bit. I logged in yesterday for the first time in months to find they just did a huge overhaul to the way armor works in the game, so soloing should (theoretically) now be a lot less painful. And really, slicers are so prevalent now that anyone can walk around with an army of IF droids doing their fighting for them.

Drone fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 3, 2014

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Drone, I just restarted a guy, after the 4th of July weekend, I may try to hit you up for some powerleveling too if that's ok.

I'm a pilot/sci/djedi (going to HM/main jedi when I get high enough, I just wanted pilot for cyax runs since I'm money obsessed in MUDs. I have over 2 million credits on my level 5/5/3ish guy.)

Also, as a hint to new players? Don't take a forced-pk class because there's some dude named Plaster who sits at level 11 with 100% skills just murdering all nonHM pks as soon as they hit level 6. He's a complete tool about it too, and has literally camped new players outside their ships for hours to make them unable to level and play. Which ended my last attempt to get the MUD goons to play SWMUD.

Yngwie Mangosteen fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 3, 2014

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

nucleicmaxid posted:

Drone, I just restarted a guy, after the 4th of July weekend, I may try to hit you up for some powerleveling too if that's ok.

I'm a pilot/sci/djedi (going to HM/main jedi when I get high enough, I just wanted pilot for cyax runs since I'm money obsessed in MUDs. I have over 2 million credits on my level 5/5/3ish guy.)

Ooh, we could go raiding then if you want all the mad credits. Get a few Star Destroyers under our belts. What team are you?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Drone posted:

Ooh, we could go raiding then if you want all the mad credits. Get a few Star Destroyers under our belts.

Yes. I'd love that a lot. Haven't seen you on gchat recently though. Saddest day.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

I've been a MU*er for 20 years - some LP and Diku games (Eye of the Storm was really my favorite codebase) and then thousands upon thousands of hours on RP MUSHes, MUXes, and even a MUSE or two, way back. Awhile back I wrote down every character and game I could think of, and have kept it up to date since then. If you played a scifi MUSH in the late 90s/early 00s we probably know each other.

Also, a few years ago I released the source code and database for a complete sci-fi RP MUSH including all systems, so if you've ever wanted to start a sci-fi RP MUSH but don't know jack about code, you should check that out. :unsmith:

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Drone posted:

Ooh, we could go raiding then if you want all the mad credits. Get a few Star Destroyers under our belts. What team are you?

That sounds pretty fun to me. I'll see what my old character is at currently and toss the stats on here.

Aafter
Apr 14, 2009

A is for After.

Nurel posted:

I hear there was plenty of goon activity in the MUD called HELLMOO. That was a post apocalyptic insanely depraved and funny world to play in.

Unfortunately the game staff went berserk and closed down the game only a few days after I rolled my first character there. That must have been around 2 years ago.

Later they brought it back up in two instances. There was the classic HELLMOO which now had PK restrictions, and another called "Hell:After the end" which was free PK/free loot like the original game. This schism divided the staff and the playerbase and was disastrous for the game. I should check out if there are still people playing either of those.

Needless to say the original game was a complete PK rapefest. I wanted to create a stealthy hideous freak character who would later evolve into a huge radio active flying abomination with claws. It would rape its victims and burn them with toxic sperm, then splatter their corpses into pulp.

It never came to fruition.

There was a whole SA topic about Hell which I remember reading back then.

Do you guys know what has become of this awesome MUD?

HellMOO is still a thing. The original now has challenge-based PvP. I'm having fun with it. I haven't seen too many issues come up with the admins either.

nucleicmaxid posted:

This was discussed in the last thread, but there are only about a dozen total goons and that may not be enough. However, it would be potentially beneficial, especially for scripting and stuff, if we did it. This thread is seeing a lot more activity than the last one, so if people are willing, I'd be 100% willing to goonrush any of those games. We'd have to either actually, or feign roleplay in order to fit in, but we could fully take over some stuff if we played actively for a little while.

Also, I'm totally down for this.

Aafter fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jul 4, 2014

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Oh, man, I remember playing Aetolia back in the day. I rolled up a monk, figuring I'd get to be a guy who learns incredible martial arts and punches the poo poo out of people.

...D&D led me wrong on this one; turns out what I had signed up for was to learn incredible martial arts, and literally live in a monastery, writing and reading from their extensive player-written library. Every so often I'd get tested on my mastery of martial arts by a higher-tier monk, which involved typing out certain attack commands in a certain order and not failing any of them. For recreation, you were occasionally allowed to go to the nearby town to pick up some goods for the monastery, and maybe punch some rats and pigeons while you were there.

...It was awesome.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Anyone who has signed up to Unwritten Legends: I'll be running a little mini-event on Saturday evening at ~8ish eastern to give people a tour of the main cities, tell some stories about what's been going on in-game lately, and give everyone a chance to get their roleplayed toes wet.

If you want in, be logged in and around Kemstead at that time. I'll be on WHO SHOWN so you can just pathfind straight to whatever room I'm in. If you have a hard time finding it, hop on the chat channel (settings chat on) and ask.

ETA: for the love of god don't walk down any paths near Kemstead, you'll die horribly

Reene fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jul 4, 2014

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I used to play the poo poo out of hellmoo...

You know, when it was good.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Hellmoo was never good, we were just younger. :colbert:

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

I still thought HellMOO was funny when I played it last year. It had really good combat too, and other systems. Could have done without the rape, but whatever. It's ignorable.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nah, it's really not.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Regardless, I'm not going to seek it out this time. It didn't do anything that innovative and given the choice I'd rather play SWMud than revisit HELLMoo. Looks like my character still exists:

Merc 5
Sci 2
Pilot 2

Rodian with dex 20, str 19. So a decent combat character (or at least I thought so way back when).

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

SquadronROE posted:

Regardless, I'm not going to seek it out this time. It didn't do anything that innovative and given the choice I'd rather play SWMud than revisit HELLMoo. Looks like my character still exists:

Merc 5
Sci 2
Pilot 2

Rodian with dex 20, str 19. So a decent combat character (or at least I thought so way back when).

What's your tech skill at? 20 dex/19 str are great for a Rodian merc, but your scientist skills are going to rely on tech. It'll determine success/failure rate, as well as the amount of damage healed by surgery/repaired by toolboxes.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Drone posted:

What's your tech skill at? 20 dex/19 str are great for a Rodian merc, but your scientist skills are going to rely on tech. It'll determine success/failure rate, as well as the amount of damage healed by surgery/repaired by toolboxes.

Absolutely atrocious. I minmaxed:

Tech is 7, Mech is 6.

With the new combat system I might want to reroll, considering I could actually build a tanky dude now... but the prospect of killing pirates for even longer is just terrible.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Is SWMUD just LP style grinding constantly?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

SquadronROE posted:

Absolutely atrocious. I minmaxed:

Tech is 7, Mech is 6.

With the new combat system I might want to reroll, considering I could actually build a tanky dude now... but the prospect of killing pirates for even longer is just terrible.

Space exp is the best exp. TIEs in orbit of Newbiway in the sims are worth 500 exp a piece, so gently caress killing pirates.

Nuke your force stat if you have no intention of playing a Jedi. Nuke your mech even if you're a pilot, it's useless (at least until Space 2.0 is released, whenever the hell that is).

Have you read Pepin's SWMud site for his guides? They're really, really, obscenely helpful.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Drone posted:

Space exp is the best exp. TIEs in orbit of Newbiway in the sims are worth 500 exp a piece, so gently caress killing pirates.

Nuke your force stat if you have no intention of playing a Jedi. Nuke your mech even if you're a pilot, it's useless (at least until Space 2.0 is released, whenever the hell that is).

Have you read Pepin's SWMud site for his guides? They're really, really, obscenely helpful.

I haven't, is it easy to find?

I will reroll today. Got nothing but time and need to save money anyway.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

SquadronROE posted:

I haven't, is it easy to find?

I will reroll today. Got nothing but time and need to save money anyway.

https://sites.google.com/site/swmudguide/

Dive through that for a bit before rerolling.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Ah-ha, apparently multiple characters are a thing now. I just made a new character but I won't be able to get it all configured before tomorrow. So... thanks for the guide, I'll read through that before setting him up.

Edit: Got up to level 6 for my merc. Even with that guide I'm not sure where else I should be hunting or what equipment I should really be looking at using. I generally am spending some time clearing out the hotel on soleada.

I kind of want to stick with Pilot because I can't think of a better secondary guild for this guy. None of the others seem that interesting especially considering my tech skills are so terrible. If I were to just renounce Sci and Pilot, what should I do instead to focus on being able to solo well? Slicer and Diplomat?

turn it up TURN ME ON fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 5, 2014

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I still play gemstone every once in a while but I could never get into any real muds. A good portion (I'm not saying a majority but I have no idea) of people have multiple accounts and drop hundreds of dollars on the game month after month. Why? Well probably because it took them five years to cap their first character and then there's post-cap so it never ends really, it is the endless grind, and future generations will continue to play characters that have been passed on until the playerbase dwindles down to one guy paying six figures a month to simultaneously play the game's 400 total characters.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

SquadronROE posted:

Ah-ha, apparently multiple characters are a thing now. I just made a new character but I won't be able to get it all configured before tomorrow. So... thanks for the guide, I'll read through that before setting him up.

Edit: Got up to level 6 for my merc. Even with that guide I'm not sure where else I should be hunting or what equipment I should really be looking at using. I generally am spending some time clearing out the hotel on soleada.

I kind of want to stick with Pilot because I can't think of a better secondary guild for this guy. None of the others seem that interesting especially considering my tech skills are so terrible. If I were to just renounce Sci and Pilot, what should I do instead to focus on being able to solo well? Slicer and Diplomat?

Be sure to ask in your team chat if you're unsure of anything, people will generally be great about helping you out with info (or even equipping you). I'm not really familiar with blasters, but with your dex maxxed out like that, you would probably have some good success with a monofilament whip. As far as killing stuff goes, the hotel is reliable low-level exp, or go to Berchest, which is a pretty great exping spot for all levels. Tatooine, Bespin, Sullust, and Corellia (specifically the hospital, the university, and the factory -- just watch out for Joe, his choking hurts quite a bit) all have stuff near your level too and can be fun to explore (don't forget to <consider> enemies just to make sure they won't trounce you).

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Yup, been wandering around there killing civilians pretty regularly. This place is as fun as I remember it, although a whole lot more dead. I don't think I've seen another actual player running around at all. Just a few idling HMs.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

SquadronROE posted:

Yup, been wandering around there killing civilians pretty regularly. This place is as fun as I remember it, although a whole lot more dead. I don't think I've seen another actual player running around at all. Just a few idling HMs.

It's off-peak time on Sunday, a day nobody plays, and it's still morning in the US. Generally a good population is between 10 and 20, though, and it's definitely fallen off since the old days.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Yeah, a bunch more people on now. Shooting up the levels too, managed to get 2 secondary and 2 primary over the weekend. Also if anyone wants an interesting MUD try Wayfar14444.com - 7777. It's based off of the HellMOO engine but is a minecraft-like thing. Kind of neat, I'm enjoying bumbling around on it.

king of no pants
Mar 10, 2007

i'm watchin'
you post

SquadronROE posted:

Yeah, a bunch more people on now. Shooting up the levels too, managed to get 2 secondary and 2 primary over the weekend. Also if anyone wants an interesting MUD try Wayfar14444.com - 7777. It's based off of the HellMOO engine but is a minecraft-like thing. Kind of neat, I'm enjoying bumbling around on it.

Wayfar is rad and Hawgpadre is a cool duder. I haven't logged in in at least a year, I should correct that.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

What this thread and the ensuing recruitment efforts are teaching me is that MUD administrators are comically neophobic. :psyduck:

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
UL admins or what?

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Yes, but some of the stories rolling out from friends are pretty familiar.

It's just frequently a prime example of "we've always done it this way therefore it is the correct and best way and if you suggest otherwise you're The Enemy."

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Reene posted:

What this thread and the ensuing recruitment efforts are teaching me is that MUD administrators are comically neophobic. :psyduck:

New things are magical and magic is heresy.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

SquadronROE posted:

Thanks for the mention - just a quick fyi, it's wayfar1444.com (port 7777 - the website has a bunch of guides and info as well). It's Hellcore based but has a rather different feel and focus. One of the features that's a major work in progress is the wildlife possession system - eventually I think this will promote some decent roleplay/interactivity. Players can currently just play out the life of a wandering muta chicken, but the long term idea is that the possessed wildlife will be able to create content or drop objectives for other players.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Cool. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to run out of things to do anytime soon. I haven't even managed to build a single tank yet.

Needless to say I'm quite a bit away from creating my own spacecraft. It would be pretty cool to grab a few more people on there and try to actually coop some stuff.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

Reene posted:

I had a few experiences like this. Usually they'll be friendly right when you join, but try to suggest anything, and whoa whoa sonny, we've been idling on this mud for years and you don't know the way things are.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I started a character on Discworld and promptly forgot his drat name when I logged out. The perils of pregens, I guess. I was only in the tutorial area anyways so I might as well reroll.

I wanted to try UL based on its inclusion in the OP and the fact that I'm a sucker for semi-original worlds, but the website is so info-dense that I'm kind of afraid I wouldn't be able to play casually and drop in once or twice a week.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

You totally can just play UL casually and that's how most people play it really. There's only a bare minimum of info you need going in really (like a basic concept about what kind of setting it is) and everything else you can pick up as you go. Often when playing I'll keep the website up so I can run a quick search if someone throws a term at me I don't instantly know, though I've had to do that less and less.

One nice thing is that most of the cultures in UL are actually loosely based on RL cultures, so once you figure out which is which (and there's a list on the forums too) you can sort of feel your way around based on that. Like, the main game area (Kessia) where everyone actually lives is based roughly on Britain, with Kaezar (the main city) being an analogue of York from the ~1700s.

If you need any assistance at all with UL just hit me up and I'll help with everything from backstory to mechanics. We've got a strong little base of new players now who have signed up through this thread and I've been helping them all out. It's been a lot of fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Juanito posted:

I had a few experiences like this. Usually they'll be friendly right when you join, but try to suggest anything, and whoa whoa sonny, we've been idling on this mud for years and you don't know the way things are.

I've honestly seen more poo poo and lip from newbies who flounce in and get upset when things aren't exactly the way they are on whatever game they just flounced off of, and expect staff to commit to coding work to fix things that aren't necessarily broken in the first place. Most aren't even aware that there are different code bases, let alone styles of game. I once spent an entire evening watching someone tell a disinterested wizcorps that they should convert the game's database to an entirely different format. The sense of entitlement can be really baffling.

Polite questions and suggestions are one thing, but let's face it: we're long past the point where MU*ing dwindled to a weird little niche hobby; making changes to systems the regular museum attendees are happy with aren't going to attract scores of new players any more, even assuming the devs have the time to devote to anything beyond simple maintenance.