Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
Started a character at BatMud, played alot about 10 years ago. :getin: Ajx = me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

obsidian440 posted:

Spent a lot of time playing Gemstone IV. The free to play option is painful for character level/training but there are some amazing packets of RP possible that do not require having a level capped character to have fun.

They blew it when they designed F2P around making absolutely sure current players couldn't abuse it to roll up useful alts instead of, y'know, actually making the game fun for new players.

Which is a shame, since GSIV is actually pretty drat good. The high GM to player ratio means there are a lot of pretty cool RP events to participate in.

obsidian440
Apr 15, 2004

Don't question god's choices.

The Phlegmatist posted:

They blew it when they designed F2P around making absolutely sure current players couldn't abuse it to roll up useful alts instead of, y'know, actually making the game fun for new players.

Which is a shame, since GSIV is actually pretty drat good. The high GM to player ratio means there are a lot of pretty cool RP events to participate in.

Yeah, if they had one other GM even half as good as Kenstrom running storylines in prime time US EST it would be perfect. Instead, you either need to be PST or stay up late every single night for best storyline events.

franks
Jan 1, 2007

Alcoholism is the only
disease you can get
yelled at for having.

obsidian440 posted:

Yeah, if they had one other GM even half as good as Kenstrom running storylines in prime time US EST it would be perfect. Instead, you either need to be PST or stay up late every single night for best storyline events.

This is my biggest gripe. Whenever I’ve been able to participate it’s been good fun but it’s well past bedtime.

I don’t mind the micro transaction stuff as it’s up to you if you want to bother. The f2p accounts seem really weak but I can see why. At least it’s brought some new people to the game that aren’t there for that sweet early 90s AOL nostalgia.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

MUD drama continues to be the weirdest, most pathetic and disgusting drama.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MUD/comments/8lglur/rant_avalon/

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
> punch thread
You miss the thread.

:unsmith:

(that link above this post is a doozy)

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 24, 2018

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Avalon is really hosed up everytime I hear about it.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Oh what's this, surely it's gonna be a fun story of---

quote:

For the last 5ish years, I took a more serious turn in life by choosing to go and live with the admins who were, at the time, living in Portugal. I was fresh out of high school and I had never met any of them in person, though I had known Genesis online, intimately, since I had turned seventeen. My parents didn't trust him at all because they thought he was a paedophile who basically preyed on me and turned me gay - but that's a story for another time.

:stare:

While this story is highly hosed up, the OP is also a colossal moron.

Edit: also I learned about this "Starmourn" thing from that post, and the website at least looks kinda high-quality (for a MUD). Is this a legit thing that looks cool? I've been out of playing MUDs for a few years now.

Drone fucked around with this message at 07:10 on May 24, 2018

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

My "favourite" part is that apparently it's just a known thing that this guy grooms young boys on the regular and people still play the loving game?

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Starmourn is IREs new mud (they produce Achaea, Aetolia, Imperian and Lusternia and formerly Midkemia Online until it shut down).

Like all IRE MUDs on launch it will be flooded with cliques from the other games who want to establish their own little circlejerk powerholds in the new one.

It'll also be extremely pay to win.

I'll probably give it a shot anyway as I'm a broken individual.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I don’t understand why they’re making a new game. What’s the cost of development to design and build everything, and how much money do they actually think they can squeeze out of their player base, which I’m assuming is going to be 90% people who are already on other IRE MUDs and presumably already handing out cash for yet more bonuses to stack on their swords?

Then again, I’m perpetually baffled by the fact that they still make enough money to keep the lights on.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

blastron posted:

I don’t understand why they’re making a new game. What’s the cost of development to design and build everything, and how much money do they actually think they can squeeze out of their player base, which I’m assuming is going to be 90% people who are already on other IRE MUDs and presumably already handing out cash for yet more bonuses to stack on their swords?

Then again, I’m perpetually baffled by the fact that they still make enough money to keep the lights on.

it's my understanding that you can transfer IRE credits between their games so if there's a ton of new content people will transfer their credits and then buy more? idk that's probably the reasoning

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
MUD drama is some amazing popcorn but Avalon never fails to take it to a whole 'nother level.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Is Avalon the one where the owner regularly posted about how the MUD was a mission for Christ or whatever?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
that's medievia

https://www.reddit.com/r/medievia/comments/l0k84/crazy_vryce_post_god_help_us_all/

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I feel really bad for that kid that was basically groomed by a child predator and horrifically abused. Like yeah he made some bad life choices but he was also a kid in an abusive situation primed to hop right into a brand new one.

Why is poo poo like this so loving common? Why are MUD players like this?

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
Search your feelings, you probably know the answer already. :smith:

And wow, Medievia. It's been a long time since I touched that. I'm surprised it's trucking along though I haven't seen that "mission from god" bent while I was playing. :stare:

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones

obsidian440 posted:

I suspect there are a few goons in the population but never actively went looking for them.

Hi.

The game snags me off and on. Right now I'm in.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Reene posted:

There is always Discworld

CtrlMagicDel
Nov 11, 2011
I logged into my F2P Dragonrealms account, saw a guy run by me whose title was "Corndog", and immediately logged off.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

CtrlMagicDel posted:

I logged into my F2P Dragonrealms account, saw a guy run by me whose title was "Corndog", and immediately logged off.

Bummer. I have (had, really, since I doubt I'll ever play again) a war mage with a custom familiar called 'a bearded war rat' that people would confuse for an invasion critter sometimes. I really loved that game.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
is there anything out there like wayfar 1444 (rip)?

blockchain prenup
Mar 8, 2018

Parachute posted:

is there anything out there like wayfar 1444 (rip)?

not that I know of. I mean of course there's HellMOO but no I don't know that there's anything in the same genre as wayfar

rip

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Reene posted:

I feel really bad for that kid that was basically groomed by a child predator and horrifically abused. Like yeah he made some bad life choices but he was also a kid in an abusive situation primed to hop right into a brand new one.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MUD/comments/3cw9w7/psa_avalon/ctauqa2/

This is that same poster a few years before, which is just... sad and sick.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Welp, I'm on my every few monthly Icesus kick again. This time I've learned that shields make Fire Priest way way better.

Molly Bitcher
Jun 5, 2005

Take that!

Reindeer Flotilla posted:

Anyone still playing Arctic? Saw some posts from ~6 months ago, but I’m guessing people have moved on. If not, hit me up for groups - have a 20 Paladin (Rogan), a 25 cleric (Soren), and a 11 red robe I’ve been trying out (Kelrick).

I roped my friend into playing arctic a couple weeks ago. I'm running a 23 druid (Shulga) and she is on an 18 cleric (Prantho).

We will try to hit you up if you are still active this wipe.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Oh if someone with invite privs to the goon channel in Icesus can come on in the next few days we got a new guy trying it and it'd be nice to invite them.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Gorelab posted:

Oh if someone with invite privs to the goon channel in Icesus can come on in the next few days we got a new guy trying it and it'd be nice to invite them.

I should have privileges, I'll check when I get home

Edilaic
Jul 10, 2008
Haha, well, "new" is kind of generous. I started Icesus back in the old thread, I guess I was too lazy to get a channel invite. (I'm coming up on 1m exp, despite my character being 12 years old.)

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Pretty sure I have invite privileges but I cant do it unless the player is online

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
So are we gonna play icesus again?

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

A bunch of us just started anew in Avendar as well after my shuddeni wrinklebaby died of old age and went to voidhell with her wife. I'm doing a goodie Bard this time if anyone wants to faff around.

Reindeer Flotilla
Mar 14, 2006

I RAN "COMEDY" THROUGH GOOGLE AND THIS IS ALL I GOT! ZULUZULUZULU!

Molly Bitcher posted:

I roped my friend into playing arctic a couple weeks ago. I'm running a 23 druid (Shulga) and she is on an 18 cleric (Prantho).

We will try to hit you up if you are still active this wipe.

Haven’t seen you folks on for awhile - if you’re still playing, I’ve been leveling a mage (21) and Druid (20) if you want company. Names are Margul and Jenifleur.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Anyone play WoTMUD?

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

COMRADES posted:

Anyone play WoTMUD?

I read this as World of Tanks MUD

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I'd watch a T-34 tug it's braid.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Gorelab posted:

I'd watch a T-34 tug it's braid.

"Tiger II Senpai..."

Beeme
Oct 7, 2013
Any of you fine folks playing IRE's Starmourn?

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues

Beeme posted:

Any of you fine folks playing IRE's Starmourn?

Yes, hello! I'm a veteran of various IRE games, but it's been many years since I logged onto one and also now I'm old and can't play all day every day so I'm all of a level 15 Nanoseer, but I'm having a good time so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActJerk
Nov 4, 2010

My life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never happened.
I just started playing Starmourn this week as a Scoundrel. First MUD ever, and I am enjoying it so far. Note: I have not interacted with anyone besides my friends that also just started.