Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Jones got hacked again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

canoshiz posted:

Jones got hacked again!

How can somebody be so sensitive that this is a recurring theme? I really hope that's real and not photoshopped.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

origami posted:

Why is 178 stuffed with so many walnuts??

Have you ever seasoned walnuts with herb?

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

MacDonald is fighting Saffiedine october 4th in Canada.

Roman Herbom
Aug 2, 2006
The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't

quote:

UFC ‏@ufc 7 min

MacDonald. Saffiedine. October 4th. Canada. #UFCFightNight #Boom

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
One of the archived goonweight tourney threads should have that Internet Top Team logo but it's probably too small to differentiate between that and the ATT logo.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Lamadrid posted:

MacDonald is fighting Saffiedine october 4th in Canada.
Well, this could be worse for Halifax but it's the rest of the card I'm worried about!

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

cool, Saffiedine is going to get owned.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache
Who are some good people to follow on the Twitter machine? I just finally broke and signed up so that I can make fun of Tim Kennedy whenever I want.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
Technically Saffiedine is ranked in the top 10 and his fight with Lim & Marquardt were cool, however, I would have preferred they did Rory vs Gunnar Nelson like it was rumored if they're gonna give Rory MacDonald a fight against someone who nobody cares about.

And at least tickets will be cheap cause there's no way UFC is going to charge big money for Rory MacDonald.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

LobsterMobster posted:

It's a Sherdog story, so take this with ALL THE SALT, but Cerrone vs Eddie Alvarez is being rumored for UFC 178

arielhelwani's twitter feed posted:

I'm told, as of last night, Alvarez is still contacted to Bellator. There is, however, a push in the company to cut ties with him now.

Alvarez only has one fight left on his deal, so if he wins that fight he can walk away with the belt. Not ideal. …

So if the new regime parts ways now after over a year of drama, it sends the msg that they are fighter friendly and not like the old regime.

No one in the UFC will comment on it on or off the record because he's still under contract and that's a no-no. However …

Sources told me last night if this leaks, Bellator might delay the process. They are ready to part ways but unclear what they'll do now.

Coker has been here before. He washed his hands of Shields when he was SF champ. The plan at 1 time was to do same. Get ahead of the game.

Also, Alvarez was front row for the UFC card in AC. Don't recall that being mentioned anywhere.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
Yep, that's what I figured with the Eddie Alvarez situation. Scott Coker is all about keeping good relations with fighters and if Eddie wants to leave that badly for UFC PPV points, why delay the inevitable? At least if they release him now he can leave on better terms, Bellator gets some fans back after the way they did Eddie dirty in 2012, and Bellator can move on with its revamping.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Gregor Samsa posted:

Who are some good people to follow on the Twitter machine? I just finally broke and signed up so that I can make fun of Tim Kennedy whenever I want.

@ArielHelwani is good. He's the most reliable source there is for the most part.

@FrontRowBrian if you're into silly MMA talk and some bullshit rumors.

Of course the UFC and Dana White's official accounts are good.

And from there you'll see a tab of "who to follow" on twitter and it'll come up with a bunch of MMA related pages.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Bubba Smith posted:

Yep, that's what I figured with the Eddie Alvarez situation. Scott Coker is all about keeping good relations with fighters and if Eddie wants to leave that badly for UFC PPV points, why delay the inevitable? At least if they release him now he can leave on better terms, Bellator gets some fans back after the way they did Eddie dirty in 2012, and Bellator can move on with its revamping.

i don't think losing one of their top starts is going to win them any fans back

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I don't care if it's someone else actually writing it but The Iron Sheik has the best twitter account

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Bubba Smith posted:

david carmichael posted:

i don't think losing one of their top starts is going to win them any fans back

Releasing Alvarez will have absolutely zero meaningful effect on fan goodwill. What it might do is attract more fighters to sign with Bellator. There's a lot of guys who took a look at the Alvarez situation and decided to sign with somebody else lest they wind up tangled up in a long-term contract when the UFC comes a-callin'.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I don't care if it's someone else actually writing it but The Iron Sheik has the best twitter account

my dad has really good copy editors but most of the words are legit his.

E: also follow @jonnybones because its fun to taunt him

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Gregor Samsa posted:

look at this thing, it's p. good

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

coconono posted:

my dad has really good copy editors but most of the words are legit his.

Are you burying the lead or loving with me here? I WANT TO BELIEVE

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Are you burying the lead or loving with me here? I WANT TO BELIEVE

He can't work a smartphone. I tried showing him Siri and it couldn't understand him.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Gregor Samsa posted:

@jcolossus - if you want a top HW's opinion completely uncensored by the UFC.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

coconono posted:

He can't work a smartphone. I tried showing him Siri and it couldn't understand him.

The lead you are burying is that you are the Iron Sheik's son.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Dangersim posted:

Did rampage get hurt from the oblique kicks? I honestly don't remember though I know he bitched about them alot. My point is more that there has never been a horrific leg snapping injury from them and he's been doing it for years.

Yes he was visibly hurt and confused by them. One seemed to hyper-extend the knee joint, after which he staggered back and looked to the ref. The ref shrugged.

From a Jack Slack article:

Image doesn't really convey it, you can see it better in motion.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

quote:

Jeremy Botter (@jeremybotter)
7/30/14, 2:17 PM
Diaz says he will not be excited to fight Anderson Silva. "Would you be excited to fight Anderson Silva?"

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I guess that's probably a known thing for wrestleposters but it's new to me. Pretty rad. I was just thinking about him and that account yesterday because I heard Danny Brown reference the Camel Clutch in a song.

Non-sports but @savedyouaclick and the HuffPo spoilers account are cool and useful. They take clickbait headlines like "You'll never believe who got caught loving a dolphin!" and pair them with the answer.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I think Ariel mentioned a while ago that Diaz really hates the term "excited" for some reason.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

coconono posted:

does your cousin Sabu bring his own chair to all family events?

freud mayweather
Jan 29, 2009

Count Roland posted:

Yes he was visibly hurt and confused by them. One seemed to hyper-extend the knee joint, after which he staggered back and looked to the ref. The ref shrugged.

From a Jack Slack article:

Image doesn't really convey it, you can see it better in motion.

he was hurt so bad that he fought again five months later.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

That's why I don't expect much trash talking from Diaz about Anderson since I've always heard Nick be respectful of Anderson Silva.

However Nick Diaz will have a good 2 years of "gently caress UFC and here's why" built up so the press conferences will still be good for that.

fatherdog posted:

Releasing Alvarez will have absolutely zero meaningful effect on fan goodwill. What it might do is attract more fighters to sign with Bellator. There's a lot of guys who took a look at the Alvarez situation and decided to sign with somebody else lest they wind up tangled up in a long-term contract when the UFC comes a-callin'.

Fair enough, I just know me personally I lost a lot of interest with Bellator when the Eddie thing happened and then the Ben Askren thing and the Attila Vegh thing and the Patricio Freie thing and so on and so on. I guess I was thinking having some closure to the Eddie Alvarez situation is overall part of turning the image around for the company, but like you said that's more important in terms of how free agents see the promotion and not so much the fans. I also agree that losing one of their biggest stars isn't going to help things but it's almost guaranteed to happen anyway if they don't want to pony up the money to keep Eddie.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

freud mayweather posted:

Uh, yeah, the kick didn't end the fight, Rampage clearly wasn't crippled.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
bellator doesnt have fans

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

freud mayweather posted:

well that's the Bader fight, the one he missed weight for, and he said he missed weight because his knee was jacked up from injuries. Not saying it matters since I believe Rampage had the same knee injury excuse for the Rashad fight that predates the Jones one by a good year but that's how it unfolded

Bundt Cake posted:

bellator doesnt have fans

I used to be one, so you're correct

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Did Bellator's PPV do better than Mighty Mouse's?

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct

Bubba Smith posted:

That's why I don't expect much trash talking from Diaz about Anderson since I've always heard Nick be respectful of Anderson Silva.

However Nick Diaz will have a good 2 years of "gently caress UFC and here's why" built up so the press conferences will still be good for that.

It's not so much that he's respectul of Anderson as he just doesn't seem to care about the usual pomp and hype surrounding fighting, and has been quite open about not liking MMA fighting in general: http://mmajunkie.com/2014/07/nick-diaz-fighting-is-not-something-that-i-enjoy-doing

quote:

“I don’t recommend anybody be a fighter,” Diaz admitted on a Wednesday media call. “Fighting is not something that I enjoy doing, it’s something that I do that I feel I have to do. That’s just the way it is. There’s a lot to it.”

“I don’t enjoy fighting,” Diaz said flatly. “I don’t use that word (excited) in this sport. I use that word like maybe I’m starving, and food is showing up. I’m getting excited. That’s excitement. Or I’m excited to have a couple of days off. I’m excited to fight somebody? I don’t know if people are confused with that term when it comes to fighting.

“Would you enjoy fighting Anderson Silva?”

“I don’t want to hurt anybody,” Diaz admitted. “I’m a non-violent person. I don’t especially enjoy violence. … I hate watching people get hurt. Some of these guys come out and say, ‘I just want to hurt somebody. I just love it.’ Sometimes I want to say, ‘You’re full of poo poo.’

“I do what I do because I’ve got to do it.”

On the one hand, it's refreshing to hear a pro athlete not go into some self-promo about loving to beat up people and admit he's just doing it because it's his career, but at the same time it's a bit surreal for one of the guys at the center of one of the most hyped fights to be announced this year to be so plainly aloof about it.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

1st AD posted:

Did Bellator's PPV do better than Mighty Mouse's?

We don't know the official numbers for either but they appear neck-and-neck. Bellator's was 100k buyrates!! after the initial rumors of 50k and after UFC 174 was reported to have done 100k UFC leaked the numbers to say they did closer to 125k, but then Meltzer went back and said it's still lower than that.

But the difference for Eddie is the ceiling for a Bellator PPV is 100k buys while a big card like Jones vs Cormier will have a shot of doing 500k+.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Bubba Smith posted:

well that's the Bader fight, the one he missed weight for, and he said he missed weight because his knee was jacked up from injuries. Not saying it matters since I believe Rampage had the same knee injury excuse for the Rashad fight that predates the Jones one by a good year but that's how it unfolded

I used to be one, so you're correct

Rampage is a lazy whiny fat poo poo and has been known around Southern California for shirking training and making up excuses since before he fought sakuraba. Everybody got upset at his corner for yelling at him when he broke his rib against Shogun, but they had every reason to suspect he was faking it cuz he was over the fight.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zZzZzAuMfA

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Panama Red posted:

It's not so much that he's respectul of Anderson as he just doesn't seem to care about the usual pomp and hype surrounding fighting, and has been quite open about not liking MMA fighting in general: http://mmajunkie.com/2014/07/nick-diaz-fighting-is-not-something-that-i-enjoy-doing

On the one hand, it's refreshing to hear a pro athlete not go into some self-promo about loving to beat up people and admit he's just doing it because it's his career, but at the same time it's a bit surreal for one of the guys at the center of one of the most hyped fights to be announced this year to be so plainly aloof about it.

He's been that way for his last few fights but we've never got anything but classic Diaz, I swear I remember this exact media conversation going on for Daley or Condit. Maybe GSP too.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

He's been that way for his last few fights but we've never got anything but classic Diaz, I swear I remember this exact media conversation going on for Daley or Condit. Maybe GSP too.

Yep you had it right. The entire GSP/Diaz Primetime series was Nick Diaz saying those same things in front of the camera. And that's why the 209 scorpion and the frog story is the best MMA analogy since it's only a matter of time before Nick Diaz does what we all know he's going to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Panama Red posted:

He's said this sort of thing before. Along the lines that if he could make a living doing triathlons he'd quit fighting right away.

• Locked thread