Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008
First off, great job! This well done for home recording and for the tech metal genre. I especially like the bass tone you got.

Some thoughts:
I know you said you just added a mastering plug in to add some polish and bring the volume up, but yeah it'd be great if we could hear it w/o any post production. And not to hurt your feelings, but leave the post productin to a pro. I have been self recording for years, and I still pay the big bucks to have someone else master. You are going a great job with the tracking, so let that shine by having someone else put the polishing touches on, second set of ears, better monitors, yadda yadda.

I was curious if you have a global room reverb happening on the whole mix, or just seperate thru aux or single plug ins on each instrument? Feels like just a little too much verb for the genre. Or too large of a room setting. You have nice tight guitar sounds, but they kind of get blurred when everything is playing.

I know it might suck to hear since it sounds like you worked so hard in good guitar sounds, but either bring them down just a touch or maybe use a low cut filter to cut everything under at least 40 if not 60hz. A single guitar might sound a little thin then, but once you add a second, plus bass, drums, etc everything is fighting for that low end space. You' debate surprised at how much low end is cut in metal guitars if you soloed them.

Also, the drums seem a little low in volume IMHO but hey, I am a drummer ;)
I assume you are using triggered drum samples, like BFD or whatever?

NarkyBark posted:

I have added verb/delays to all of the hit drums; you definitely hear it with the drums alone but less so with the band. I did scale it back from my original setting since it seems like techy metal tends to have a drier sound. One thing that may be hurting me is that I do have some pretty severe EQ settings to carve out individual drums, to separate all the instruments. Maybe I should relax that a bit...
One great trick with reverb is learning how to use the "pre delay" slider/knob. This way you can delay the response of the reverb so you get a nice sharp attack from the drum (or vocal, whatever) and have clarity, and then a longer "tail" to get the big room sound.

Again, maybe you won't need to use such extreme EQ on the drums if you dry them up, and look cut some of the extreme lows on the guitars. Don't worry, it'll still sound heavy!;)

Check out Nile records for some "warm " and not overly hyped (well in comparison to most techy metal) drum sounds at still have a ton of clarity during faster parts.

Edit - plus when you get it mastered the compression will tend to bring out the reverb as it flattens the levels of everything, which is why going a little drier than you think a "professional" recording sounds will actually get you to that point after the post production. Hope that makes sense?

Interstitial Abs fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Aug 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread