Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
There's so much stuff you could try but it really depends on your taste.

A handful of things I might consider with this recording are:

1. double-tracking the bass and panning one centre-left and one centre-right, rather than just riding the centre.

2. adding a dash of clean reverb to the kick and snare respectively. Personally I feel it's really the drum's that're flattening this piece out

3. As everyone's been saying, the compression needs tweaking. what i said about double-tracking and panning the bass part can actually help you find a lot of space for cutting the compression there and opens up room for the guitar

As for it sounding weaker on some systems, that's pretty typical with a lot of even pro-mastered metal. Try listening to anything with a 5-string bass through junk computer speakers; pointless. Sleepytime Gorilla Museum springs to mind. But generally your target audience are the kind to care about sound quality anyway, so I wouldn't worry too much about that as what I'm hearing through my MDRs is pretty great!

Everything above is just suggestions; as i said to start with, it's all about your taste and you being happy with it. Those are just some things you can experiment with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread