Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Arivia posted:

And now we return to discussing Elminster getting it on with his adopted daughters.

Elminster is the Carlos Castenada of the Forgotten Realms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Also I am reading a paper on ideas of divinity in Jahiliyya-era (pre-Islamic) Arab poetry and the second chapter is a list of gods mentioned in surviving bits of that poetry and one of the deities is a couple (Isaf and Na'ila) who were caught "having sexual relations" in the Ka'ba and transformed into stones that became idols.

If you want your fantasy RPGs to have ultimate verisimilitude please include pairs of gods that were people caught having sex in places they shouldn't, thanks.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Night10194 posted:

Haifisch's LP of it was great, too. It was a lot of fun to vote in and was what got me interested in Glorantha.
Yeah, people should really read both. One had things go right and the clan have fantastic luck all the loving time, and the other wasp lagued with bad luck. Very different looks at the game.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
I was watching Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert's Star Wars trivia battle, and then I saw the weirdest thing in the YouTube comments:

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Terrible 3 AM game ideas: "Nyarlothotech support, or The Call Center of Cthulhu".

A game where everyone's the tier one tech support team for an evil mythos-based corporation and has to deal with people calling in about their baby-powered batteries and wondering why their shipment of guns somehow got diverted to the very enemies they were fighting.

Possibly a fiasco playset?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

unseenlibrarian posted:

Possibly a fiasco playset?

Office culture + menial labour with lovely managers + a weird twist is more or less a perfect formula for Fiasco, so yes, write this as a Fiasco playset.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I would play the hell out of a fiasco set where petty office politics could leave my mind and soul cast backward thousands of years into the mail room.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Glorantha A) requires a lot of prep work to create basal exposition for players and B) doesn't have any game systems that capture the best part of the setting very well. One of the few that approaches it conceptually is DnD 4th, but it would require almost complete reworking to have the Gloranthan feel in actual play and the highpower mechanics are sparse.

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011

Green Intern posted:

I would play the hell out of a fiasco set where petty office politics could leave my mind and soul cast backward thousands of years into the mail room.

The mail room "staff" is actually a single amorphous entity possessed by a multitude of minds, eternally wrestling against each other for possession of the packages around which its body is wrapped. Suffice to say, there has not been a successful claim since the apes learned how to make fire.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Bitchtits McGee posted:

The mail room "staff" is actually a single amorphous entity possessed by a multitude of minds, eternally wrestling against each other for possession of the packages around which its body is wrapped. Suffice to say, there has not been a successful claim since the apes learned how to make fire.

Sounds less like Fiasco and more like The Laundry to me.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Also I am reading a paper on ideas of divinity in Jahiliyya-era (pre-Islamic) Arab poetry and the second chapter is a list of gods mentioned in surviving bits of that poetry and one of the deities is a couple (Isaf and Na'ila) who were caught "having sexual relations" in the Ka'ba and transformed into stones that became idols.

If you want your fantasy RPGs to have ultimate verisimilitude please include pairs of gods that were people caught having sex in places they shouldn't, thanks.

Combining AW special moves and Shadow of Yesterday's transcendence, I like it

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Okay, I'm going to regret asking this, but where's a good place to read up on the whole story of harassment by Zak S. and Pundit? I know there are plenty of examples of them being belligerent jerks, but this more specific case is harder to track- obviously if some of the people affected want to keep things confidential, that's their right, but everything that I've been able to see publicly is responding to something else that happened earlier cascading into infinity. It's rather confusing.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Libertad! posted:

I was watching Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert's Star Wars trivia battle, and then I saw the weirdest thing in the YouTube comments:

What the gently caress.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Libertad! posted:

One of these things are not like the other, one of these things are reddit.

Edit: Who wants to bet the guy thinks that trilby is a fedora?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I think if you are at the point where you are distinguishing trilbies from fedoras, no, you are the demons.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

neongrey posted:

I think if you are at the point where you are distinguishing trilbies from fedoras, no, you are the demons.

Is it a crime to work at a hat shop over a summer a few years back?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Covok posted:

Is it a crime to work at a hat shop over a summer a few years back?

A crime against humanity yes. Unless all you worked with were women's fascinators in which case you are the Chosen People.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Maxwell Lord posted:

Okay, I'm going to regret asking this, but where's a good place to read up on the whole story of harassment by Zak S. and Pundit? I know there are plenty of examples of them being belligerent jerks, but this more specific case is harder to track- obviously if some of the people affected want to keep things confidential, that's their right, but everything that I've been able to see publicly is responding to something else that happened earlier cascading into infinity. It's rather confusing.

There's not really any one place, as far as I know. Part of the problem is just how much poo poo has been going on, part of it is that people don't want to relive these experiences, part of it is that collecting information on this is soul-crushing.

There's a tumblr that's a bit of an attempt, but I can't remember the URL.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

It's this: http://wouldyouagreethat.tumblr.com/

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Covok posted:

Particularly idiotic since Colbert is a Sunday school teacher in his spare time.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Covok posted:

He's being sarcastic. Dude's ironically shitposting.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

SunAndSpring posted:

He's being sarcastic. Dude's ironically shitposting.

Still a shitpost

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Hey Zak S I know you're reading this so I just have one thing to say: gently caress you. You're a misogynist shithead and a plague on the hobby. I hope your lunch gets eaten by birds tomorrow!

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
aha is he tracking this thread to keep an eye on the goon menace

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.
THE GOON MENACE

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
Man, the parallels between goonswarm and the swine menace are fantastic.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Down With People posted:

THE GOON MENACE

But is it better than the phantom menace?

Also, traps in 3.PF are dumb, uninteractive, and super dull binary horseshit. GMs may as well just flip a coin and say "x person took y damage because I said so," or the players may as well just hand a list to the GM and say "we do this for every single loving square possible."

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Traps only work as encounters/skill challenges where the room is filling up with water or whatever and everyone's doing something.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Down With People posted:

THE GOON MENACE

Zak would have probably posted:

...I have here in my hand a list of 205 . . . a list of names that were made known to my minions as being members of the Social Justice Party and who nevertheless are still working and shaping opinions on the Internet. . . .

As you know, very recently these Swine proclaimed their loyalty to people guilty of what has always been considered as the most abominable of all crimes—refusing to stay silent in the face of harassment and abuse—Social Justice Warriors. . . .

They've lit the spark which is resulting in a moral uprising and will end only when the whole sorry mess of twisted, warped thinkers are swept from the gaming scene (by us) so that we may have a new birth of dishonesty, pedantry and privileged silence in elfgames.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Oh, he's reading this?
<========

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
one can only hope :allears:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
What is so bad about social justice and moral outrage, anyway?

Of all the pejoratives they could have picked, being "just" or "moral" doesn't strike me as a particularly horrid label to be saddled with.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.
privileged silence

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

See if you're too just or moral then some cis hetero white dudes might feel left out.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Alien Rope Burn posted:

What is so bad about social justice and moral outrage, anyway?

Of all the pejoratives they could have picked, being "just" or "moral" doesn't strike me as a particularly horrid label to be saddled with.

There's a couple bad groups on Tumblr and Reddit, especially poo poo Reddit Says, that make what social justice is supposed to be (supporting those who are marginalized and their rights) into just another way of trolling people. So, people in opposition to it all can just point to one of these blogs and say, "See? This is what social justice is!" and discredit it.

So basically it's become a buzzword, sort of like "check your privilege", and has lost a lot of meaning because of it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I, too, remember when all those people withdrew their support for social justice and equality causes because they had become too mainstream. Oh if only we hadn't had the hubris to try to make people aware of issues or actually think about things. Alas, now we cannot beg rights from the privileged, for they are tired and need to nap.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

The prevalence of "bad" social justice groups is greatly exaggerated to justify the dismissal of legitimate issues. If anyone is using triggered Superwholockians as a reason to ignore you or insult your position, they're either idiots or purposefully taking a dishonest approach to shut you down.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

SunAndSpring posted:

There's a couple bad groups on Tumblr and Reddit, especially poo poo Reddit Says, that make what social justice is supposed to be (supporting those who are marginalized and their rights) into just another way of trolling people. So, people in opposition to it all can just point to one of these blogs and say, "See? This is what social justice is!" and discredit it.

So basically it's become a buzzword, sort of like "check your privilege", and has lost a lot of meaning because of it.

I rest my case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.

SunAndSpring posted:

The Something Awful Traditional Games community may not be for you.

• Locked thread