Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Forums Terrorist posted:

Yeah, I'm really glad I went basically looking for "David Lynch makes a robot anime".

Man, that is exactly the kind of cryptic giant I don't want appearing in my dreams.

Something something hit the bottle with the lance of Longinus on the first take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Captain Foo posted:

In conclusion play anime games

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Davin Valkri posted:

STALKER may be dark, but it's not, like, GRIMdark. The Zone is crazy, but it's as much a place of scientific wonder as it is a place of extreme danger. And for all the inter-faction fighting everybody likes kicking back in the alcohol oases and drinking vodka.

You don't get to be a beautiful anime man by slogging around in radioactive mud and eating stacks of questionable salami ten at a time, though.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Davin Valkri posted:

I like how you capitalize "Bishie" like it's some kind of title or position, like all parties should have a "Bishie" as they have a "Rogue" or "Wizard".

Also I just realized the weirdest part of the second "rescue". The person he was trying to save from the gunfire didn't get hit once. Were they just not aiming for her or does my bad luck with FATE dice carry over to GURPS ones?

The bishounen is obviously a martial defender class, focused around stopping enemy movement and interrupting attacks of opportunity.

yaoi hands

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Be the change you want to be, motherfuckers. Run some games that address the issues you care about, publish your own games or supplements on the indie markets, get at least one new person a year to play our dumb games of pretend, 'cause that's what it takes to make this hobby not suck.

d20 roll dice erryday

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Rulebook Heavily posted:

People are already doing this and you know what they loving get? Twitter harassment and threatening emails and bombardments from personal fanbases from shitlords like the ones that are now getting money for appearing in the biggest RPG product of the year. The acknowledgment earned is that there's two paragraphs of wonky text in the book and then a dude who actively stalks trans people online and tells them to commit suicide is lurking in the credits.

So you know.

gently caress you.

But just a little.

Do you see any advocacy re: turning a blind eye to the likes of Tarnowski and Zak S in my post? No, you do not, because it is not there.

D&D Next is a lazy, lovely product associated with lunatics who pass for big names in this hobby because this is what WotC thinks will be profitable. They are probably right! Currently D&D is what your average human will think of when you say the words "roleplaying game" to them, if they even think of tabletop stuff instead of a video game.

To actually affect change, a radical alteration of the climate of the hobby is necessary. You remember that post a few pages back about how Tarnowski is afraid storygame-type stuff will become the new mainstream RPG, but ha ha ha, that'll never happen, shucks? Well, it should. Hence the whole direct action thing I was talking about.

Awful lovely games from awful lovely people are going to be the norm unless there is a continuous effort to replace both. Raising awareness that, say, somebody who's given special thanks in the latest flagship product of the entire hobby is an abusive nutcase is important! But the conditions that allow such a thing to happen in the first place will not change through raising awareness alone.

So gently caress you right back, friend! :thumbsup:

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Winson_Paine posted:

pre:
 One night I dreamed I was FINDING a PATH with a WIZARD.

Should have gone for Tenser's Floating Disc, imo.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

In all seriousness, I want you to show me the post where someone said "your concerns are not valid, be silent" and not "hey, these guys are shitheads, maybe we should collectively work to make the hobby inhospitable to their opinions and others like them."

I can't escape the impression that no one is actually arguing about the same thing at this stage, and down that rocky road lies the dark territory of collegiate Trotskyist debate.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Cynical, Manipulative Witch Hunter posted:

Just so we're clear, real elfgames are the editions of D&D I like, other elfgames I play, and most games based on those games. Everything else is an elaborate illusion.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Lemon Curdistan posted:

In all this talking about shitstains, we missed some important news: http://www.burningwheel.org/forum/showthread.php?14628-News-From-Lockhaven

Mouse Guard is getting a second edition soon. :getin:

I'll buy it day one if he can refrain from calling successes something else.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Mouse Guard was one of the few game books I could not grasp just by reading it. It makes a lot more sense in play, but it's massively obtuse as a tome, and doesn't really put much effort towards teaching itself. It's a great-looking book, though!

lukecrane.txt

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

The system is meh, the Shadowrun-esque character creation is also a problem, but my biggest problem with EC is that I can't fully absorb how you're supposed to go on adventures and stuff in a world with really ubiquitous surveillance. That's actually a lot harder for me to think my way around than the transhuman stuff. I know there is some stuff in the corebook about it, more stuff in supplements, and the EC thread recommended a podcast, but usually I don't have to read the corebook cover-to-cover and tune in to a Barry Lyndon length stream before being prepared for a game.

There are several ways to approach the omnipresent surveillance net.

1) gently caress it, blow it up anyway, get g-rep.

2) Security through obscurity actually works. If you've ever done some serious academic research, you know what to expect. If you're in a gigantic library (the enormous amount of data generated every second even in a small hab) and you are a trained researcher (someone who was born into this environment equipped with a muse) and you know exactly what you're looking for (evidence that guy you think is a Jovian spy is up to no good) and you even have a pretty good idea of where it is in the library (you know what section of the hab he's been futzing with), you can still get trumped by incorrect data (someone hosed up the database/cameras/infobombed the whole system), multiple copies (which of the hundreds of microcams in the main hab room are useful?) or just plain lack of material (who puts dozens of cams and microphones in the air duct in waste processing?).

3) Sometimes it doesn't matter. If you've ever seen The Conversation, Gene Hackman's character knows exactly what the two targets of his assignment said, when they said it, where they said it, with whom, etc. It doesn't matter because the context isn't fully explained to him at the time. Just because the players or their opponents know most of the story doesn't mean they know all of it.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Crosscontaminant posted:

No matter how many times I see it, "vidcon" still sounds to me like something that would get you put on the sex offenders registry.

This must be really awkward for you.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

This isn't a campaign, it's a murder... :smith:

This isn't a campaign, it's a moider! :v:

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

True vanguard simulator is clearly Dogs in the Vineyard. Commissars in the Kolkhoz?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

I could do without the metanarrative on who is a shitlord for not condemning other shitlords enough. You guys can tie neon to a chair and make him confess he wears fedoras but it's not helping anything.

That sounds dangerously close to insufficiently revolutionary thinking, Comrade Poster. Perhaps a stay in one of the Mafia threads would correct your thinking?

• Locked thread