Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

DocBubonic posted:

Moral of the story is that GURPS combat can be lethal.

The last GURPS game I was in involved a demonic wolverine latching onto my character's groin because I forgot to buy armor that explicitly provided protection to that area, nearly killing my character in the first fight.

GURPS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Captain Foo posted:

I played in a similar game but it was two chaos wolverines one of which melted into an acid puddle and the other of which exploded.

GURPS.

This is the game I was talking about, RIP Tairn's Dungeon Fantasy

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Literally nobody that just plays RPGs every now and then know who Zak S or RPG Pundit are.

This doesn't excuse WotC for shouting them out or anything, but they're only really ruining the hobby if you pay attention to their infinitesimally small fiefdoms. I've kinda hated grognards.txt for years because I think it gives those people a larger readership than they would ever have otherwise.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Reene posted:

This has been said but you can't fall back on the "they're just two small voices in the crowd and totally ignorable" defense when they're being given a shoutout on page one of the one single biggest tabletop RPG on the market that has historically more or less been the voice that defines the entire hobby.

I might take advice on emailing WotC, because that really isn't acceptable no matter how you cut it.

I said it doesn't excuse that, I just don't think anyone needs to quit the hobby and stop supporting the people who are doing good things over it. Not buying Next and writing about a session of The Quiet Year does good.

Edit: I don't really know where I'm going with this other than I think that it's a "win" for jerks if this makes good people throw up their hands and leave.

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 4, 2014

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

GURPS is a great game, but you have to spend time getting your head around it. Just diving in with no real plan can lead to some really bad experiences.

Any game system that contains both Illuminati University and Transhuman Space can't be bad.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

JDCorley posted:

Why would you try to make a noir game when A Dirty World already exists and it's the best Greg Stolze game.

If by best you mean, like, 4th best. It has by far the worst conflict resolution rules he's come up with.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Tempus Rimeblood posted:

I know this is a little off-topic from current discussion, but is there a thread for discussion of card games like Munchkin or Fluxx? I mean, I'm not sure which Fluxx and Munchkin sets are worth picking up, the people I played with had a lot of fun with Cthulhu Fluxx, but due to not having the best grasp of the source material there was a little bit of a disconnect, and I wouldn't mind actually being able to discuss games like that.

Every version of those games is the same, IIRC (munchkin definitely is) so just pick the theme you like best.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Gravy Train Robber posted:

I mean, we have Blood Bowl and Dreadball, why isn't there a Fantasy Basketball game?

I think it would be difficult to simulate the speed of play of Basketball in a necessarily turn-based tabletop game. The volume of scoring alone represents a huge design challenge unless you want to abstract it to the point where you're just playing Dreadball but there's only one target to throw at and everyone's wearing basketball uniforms now.

edit: if you turned it into a dexterity game it could be pretty sweet

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 12, 2014

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Pipefighting comes from an old Tairn game where everyone was on a spooky space station and got so bored they found pipes and fought with them. I think Winson and Comte de Saint Germaine made it happen.

Hashtag Trad Games History

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Here's your weekend.

This page is pipe chat: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1107002&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=6

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

"Bis-millah hir-Rahman nir-Rahim"

Emerging from a prayer, Mahbod states what the others probably already expected. "The shuttle will not be there, or if it is, it will be inoperable. I am nearly certain of it. This entity that was described, it seems to control our actions by limiting our choices, and removing the shuttle would fit within that pattern. Do you not feel as though some Jinn is at work here? Directing our every move, limiting the range of our Allah given freedom to choose one path for another. I feel as though we are being herded down this one path like a flock of sheep, with no real ability to leave or choose for ourself. The fact that we have yet to see the sheepdogs seems the only fourtune in this series of events.

"Whatever shepard guides us here, I do not doubt that its intentions are evil. I mentioned the Jinn before, I think the analogy is more than apt. Doors tht open with a radioactive 'opean sesame.' Voices that command,'Start the reactor Ali Baba, and three wishes shall be yours.' I have no doubt that somewhere within this abandoned palace we shall find a prince encased within his own throne.

"As a religious authority and governemnt advisor, it is my duty, before my Allah and before the Blessed State of Iran, to offer counsel and perspective. But what council can I give, regarding our actions, when our actions have been so strictly limited by forces acting unseen and unknown? All I can offer, it seems, is that we should resist the mechanations of whatever forces are at work here, for they are clearly acting to strip us of our ability to choose the righteous path, forcing us down a pathof uncertinty, moral and scientific ambiguity. Were the forces righteous and good, they would trust us to take the rightly guided path on our own, and would not seek to force us to take these questionable actions in the service of an insivible entity.

"Ustughfi-rullaha Rabbee min kullay zumbin wa 'atubo illai-hay."

Things I noticed trawling archives: These jokes are a month shy of literally being a decade old, and I ran Hijinx twice for some reason.

Also every one of the dozens of Tairn's recruitment threads for the next couple years had pipemaker jokes. Looking at them was like following a trail of "no, this joke can't be this old, I can't have been around here this long."

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 13, 2014

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

GURPS is objectively The Best Game but they don't sell a good beginner set for it, you just gotta jump in the shark tank and start deriving attributes and spending fractions of skill points.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Waffleman_ posted:

This is probably going to be a ways off, but I got the idea and fell in love with said idea of running an Uncharted/Tomb Raider/Indiana Jones style treasure hunting archaeological adventure-themed game. My question is, Atomic Robo is perfect for that, right? I mean, it's basically action science + history.

Run It In GURPS

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Mearls secretly telling Zak S about all the things people have been emailing him

Haha holy poo poo, did this really happen?

Why am I asking, of course it happened, of course he would do that.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

RPGs: There's always more and it's always worse

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Mormon Star Wars posted:

PVP ruins MMOs, there I said it.

It's fun in Guild Wars 2 because there are no stakes or consequences so there's no pressure to be geared for PvP in some grindy way, it's just a thing you can do to have fun when you feel like it.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Maybe on the most surface level you could run Paranoia as the presumably serious game where you balance a true communist society with the reality of the situation but it's really not the first thing that comes to mind.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I'd probably use The Quiet Year, personally. http://buriedwithoutceremony.com/the-quiet-year/

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Arivia posted:

Sure it does - that's just Straight play.

Straight play is a cruel joke that gives you hope that someone, somewhere has actually played paranoia without it devolving immediately into a mess but we both know that's not true.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

From some of their tweets I've read I'm pretty sure they're pals after working together, so I have to assume there was a less than 0 chance anything would happen on the credited consultants front unless Zak was literally going to jail.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Glad I can just cut my hand off instead of losing the whole arm, this is great now!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Baron Snow posted:

No? Please tell that story.

A Paizo designer tied his mouse to his wrist by the cord in order to "test" if a strap tying your sword to your arm should let you recover from being disarmed as a swift or simple or whatever the gently caress the fastest action is.

It was too hard for him to swing it into his hand, so he issued errata saying it took a longer action.

Pathfinder loving sucks, maybe just don't play D&D at all. GURPS is right there.

http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/dungeonfantasy/

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 17, 2014

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Gorelab posted:

I really need to play 13th Age sometime. And the Paranoia cop splat. Or the high programmer one. The High Programmer thing would actually probably be pretty good for pbp.

High Programmers was a really good read but I've never seen anyone play it PbP. I bet it would be fun.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Error 404 posted:

Unless I'm not getting a joke, this guy seems nerd-mad about something.

You're not getting a joke.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Dragonmarks are cool, especially if they're also glowy face tattoos.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Spincut posted:

Where does one...start with GURPS? Like, do I just need the first book of Dungeon Fantasy or is there a core GURPS book or something like that?

Help me lose myself in build points, goons.

You just need the Basic Set. What Dungeon Fantasy does is take the full character creation rules that are in the Basic Set and turn them into templates for classes and races that you just grab and customize a bit so you don't actually have to do the whole building a character from first principles thing.

It cuts down on the sorta overwhelming amount of skills and advantages and disadvantages that are in the core game and lets you see that a Wizard would have A skills and B powers while a thief would have C and D and a fighter would have E and F.

When you become more familiar with GURPS you can ditch that template system entirely to make any concept you have in mind, but between templates and the character building software I haven't sat down and made a character from scratch in like 6 or 7 years.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Gau posted:

I would love someone to corroborate this, but I'm reasonably certain Dungeon Fantasy will run just peachy with the Lite rules and Characters, the first core book. You only need Characters to tell you what all of the advantages/disadvantages/skills do.

This is broadly accurate, you only need campaigns if you want more detailed combat and success/failure rules.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Sometimes things are OK. http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/culture/2014/07/dungeons-dragons-saved-my-life.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

SJ Games Warriors

• Locked thread