Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
If we talking anime, I will always have a place close to my heart for Haibane Renmei

:hr:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Mr. Maltose posted:

Kill la Kill mentioned, terminate all anime chat because it won't be getting any better.

:hr:

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Princess Tutu is amazing.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot about him too.

So that's two people who've publicly said they hope people "like me" will die or commit suicide in the credits.

e:

I will not be buying this or any other WotC products for the foreseen future. Thanks for the heads up.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I am not buying products from a company that intentionally and publicly associates with those people. Period.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Don't give up entirely on RPGs, support the good ones and the good developers.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Libertad! posted:

Well, lots of folks don't keep up on Internet drama, and may not know what's the deal with Pundit and Zak S. Although the former is disliked by a lot of forums (rpg.net, The Gaming Den, Circus Maximus, this one, etc).

Pointing to examples of their most negative behavior would be a better idea in regards to people who ask "what's up with those guys? Why are they bad?"

FWIW, a simple group of links of "this is what these assholes do" would make things way easier.

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's not just the fact that they thanked Zak and Tarnowski, two guys who bully and harass.

It's not just the fact that Zak's apparently saying on G+that he considers it a victory when he bullies someone out of the hobby or that Tarnowski considers it "Revenge".

It's not just the fact that WotC and the keystone game of the hobby just legitimized those two even at the simplest level.

It's not just that I'm seeing people (industry and otherwise) I thought I respected acting like these are knee-jerk reactions and that I haven't had lovely relations with these two both directly and indirectly.

It's the fact that I'm seeing tons of people who are either marginalizing the concerns or dismissing those concerns as just "edition warring" or pulling a "but Zak's a great guy in real life" or saying "they wanted to get opinions from both sides".

I mean, I loving honestly hate the fact that it's pretty much my fault Zak came here in the first place. And I'm honestly afraid to really speak up about it more publicly because I don't want to be harassed because I probably couldn't deal with it.

I mean, Jesus Christ those are two guys who've said multiple times that they hope "people like me" commit suicide and I barely get even a fraction of the poo poo aimed at me that people like Mikan or RH or Ettin do.

And everyone's just ignoring this or dismissing this because now there's a whopping two paragraphs about being more open-minded about gender HOO loving RAY WotC welcome to 10 years ago, you assholes. Yeah, let's be more inclusive oh and thanks, guy who organizes hate mail to feminists.

Because all that matters are the rules. Put two of the biggest shitpile excuses for human beings in there, who cares? It's D&D! It'll sell anyway!

God, gently caress this hobby. I know I say it a lot but goddamn it feels like it's actively trying to push me out.

Legit do you mind if I copy+paste this elsewhere to help point out why I'm not supporting this game?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
EM, apologies in advance and you certainly don't have to, but do you by any chance have links or whatever to Zak S's crusade antics? It looks like he turned most of his poo poo to private, and the KOREA TABLETOP GAMING page doesn't seem to believe this kinda poo poo actually happens.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
It's pretty easy to get angry when literally everywhere I've gone to talk about this the overwhelming response has been a nonstop demand for proof and rationalizing away any and all proof actually given, and then going "Well maybe I'm just too logical, besides is it REALLY that hurtful that they're on the credits page?"

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Ettin posted:

By the way: The first thing I saw on Facebook today was you arguing with Piestrio of all people about this. Lost causes, dude!

How should I know it's Piestrio :smith:. Also, I'm giving up. Korea Tabletop Games page, you are a lost cause.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I'm just some dumb schmuck teaching English in Korea, so the best I can do right now is generally talk to people I know about the problems and explain why I'm not going to be supporting WotC. I've emailed off to the CUSTSERV thing and tried contacting Mearls with no response back. When I get back to the States my general plan is to try to get as many cool people as I know into the hobby.

But here's the thing, I'm kinda nervous about doing that, because I actually am worried they'll go online to talk about things and become victims!

That's what a chilling effect is. It's why Zak S is such a problem - because his presence is one big "no, leave the hobby." I mean, he brags about it, literally brags that he supports social darwinism in the hobby. To the point where I worry and don't want to bring friends in because they'd be at risk and this is what WotC is supporting.

So I email them, and I message them, and I refuse to support them, because they support this. And I try to get my friends to play a stupid elfgame or two anyways. That's the change I try to make because that's the ONLY change I can try to make.

And all throughout this I get to listen to and look at chucklefucks go "Well Zak S can't be that bad he wrote those good articles!" Or "Show up proof. No more proof. No more proof. No more proof." Or "Well it's harassment so just call the police and that's it, if he's still around clearly he didn't harass anyone." Or any number of other bullshit excuses nerdy=rear end motherfuckers use to dismiss any criticism of the game that could possibly exist. poo poo, I had one guy say that I, Professor Cirno, was trying to slander Next through Zak S because I was such an overbearing Paizo fanboy.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Trollhawke posted:

You know if I wasn't busy laughing my rear end off at the idea of you being a Paizo fanboy I'd express my genuine concerns and sympathies. Which I do - it's hard to try and fight for a cause when one side has no interest in listening regardless.

I guess the best you can do is basically what you've been doing - find new people, get them into the hobby, drop a couple of names of people you should avoid as little by-the-ways.

Godspeed, Prof.

I mean, here's the thing.

Quarex posted:

Who was the person being threatened about coming to Gen-Con again? This seems relevant to this discussion (though somehow I doubt either of the problem children being discussed would deign to actually come to a convention unless treated as an Important Person).

I have it easy.

I am at best arguing with people who think my friends deserve to be unsafe in the hobby for no reason other then admitting there is a problem would break their childish view of the hobby. Like, that's pretty lovely. And that's still getting it off easy.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
We need people to rip apart the system and point out all it's flaws.

What do you mean your playtest found problems. No more online playtests allowed for anyone.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
The amount of hate being directed at people literally for just not buying a thing is pretty amazing.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

SunAndSpring posted:

Wonder why no one's made an official The Elder Scrolls tabletop RPG. You figure there'd be money in it for Bethesda to license it out to someone. Skyrim sold a poo poo ton, and I'm sure people would like to have an actual system for it rather than just homebrewing other systems.

Because loving nobody wants the fanbase of this hobby to get energetic about their game. Literally most other industries either actively court against going into ttgs or at least try to never bring it up.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

zachol posted:

Seriously? I've always assumed it was just apathy and a feeling that the RPG market is too small to seriously consider in terms of licensing, not that there was an actual pushback against it.

I recall reading at least one paper that basically stated that most companies that actually know about this industry avoid it, because every time they've tried to tap into it, it's backfired due to the grogs immediately swarming them.

quote:

Eclipse Phase

EP falls into the same problem Shadowrun sometimes - a really hilarious assumption of competence. This is more a Shadowrun problem, I think, where GMs assume that of course every building is going to have maximum security on at all times with no coffee breaks and the most vigilant employees money can buy, when in reality, be it Eclipse Phase or Shadowrun, corporations exist to make profits, and if they can cut corners, by god they're going to do it as much as possible and then some. It's actually worse in Eclipse Phase, when chances are the actual security stuff is being monitored by literal digital slaves trying to distract themselves as much as possible from their actual tasks.

To it's credit EP actually does talk about this a bit in Panopticon, basically stating that there's so much overlapping security footage that the problem isn't catching someone, it's finding that specific footage. Beyond that, because everything in most Core space is done through systems of neverending contractors and business agreements, even if you find that footage, you have to get access to it, because everyone is competing and they won't want to share out of the goodness of their heart.

Really the key is to remember the first rule: Human beings are really good at not giving a poo poo and being super incompetent. The rest kinda falls in line from there.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

dwarf74 posted:

Haha, even little old me got doxxed over at theRPGsite a few years back. The dude did something like look up my old amazon reviews - literally from 1997 - to discredit me.

Actually other folks told him that was pretty hosed up, so...

Not too long ago I was arguing about Next regarding the whole Zak S / RPG Pundit thing on a Facebook page for ttgs in Korea. I had someone try to doxx me, found that I playtested some Dreamscarred stuff back when I was into Pathfinder, and deduced that I was making up everything about Zak S and RPG Pundit as part of a Paizo Fan Conspiracy to discredit Next.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Covok posted:

What are the big days for traditional gaming? You know, like Free RPG day and International Tabletop Day? I'm treasurer for my college's board gaming club and I'm thinking of using the facebook page our members subscribed to to inform them of things like this.

There's Friday Night Magic for a more specific game.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Don't bother arguing with Zak S. He's flat out stated his intention is to push people out of discussions in order to prove social darwinism or some such nonsense.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Remove good and evil and go all SMT

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Neutral is less "pass the buck" or "oh no moral quandaries" and more "gently caress you, your arbitrary choice is dumb, I refuse to play along." That refusal just happens to come along with killing all your enemies, which is now everybody.

Then some time later both Law and Chaos go "Well THAT rear end in a top hat's gone, let's try again."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
My initial point is that GOOD VS EVIL doesn't really have space for that much weirdness because, well, it's literally the objective force of good. You can't have much grey area there.

Focusing instead on law vs chaos allows for more nuance.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
There is something morbidly humorous about Sage trying to give Zak S and Pundit the benefit of the doubt and them vomiting that right back into his face.

Like.

Dude.

It's not as if you didn't know this would happen.

Anyways I'm kinda confused where Sage stands because he initially agreed with Zak S then didn't then did again then said "ignore the whole thread" so who even knows. That said literally every non-white dude that posted in that thread was posting about the problems with the two in question, and was kinda vindicated by GMS busting in to go "Minority views are often LIES that you should ignore."

It's a bit of a perfect storm right now; 5e's accredation and Mearls secretly telling Zak S about all the things people have been emailing him have shown just how loving horrifyingly rotten the core of this hobby is, and the vindication that Zak S and Pundit have gotten over 5e has lead them (and their hanger-ons like GMS) to be more aggressive in their terribleness then ever. This is a pretty poo poo time for the hobby, at least if you aren't a "traditionalist" het white dude

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Quarex posted:

Wait, Zak S has problems with LGBT people when he films his girlfriend loving other women? Oh, this sounds delightful!

Zak S has a problem with people who disagree with him. Being able to use their sexuality to attack them when he's stalking them or sending out his followers to harass them is just a bonus.

Also yeah I got the deets on the Mearls thing wrong. Which uh, isn't to say the actual result isn't a good thing, just not...as...lovely?

( gently caress if I entirely care about the nuance there though )

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Like there's a reason all those guys who got their start in ttgs and moved on to video games, be they indie developers or mainstream, have not looked back. And it ain't just because of the money.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Mormon Star Wars posted:

When Tatum Girlparts points out that the community is small and incestuous, he's also pointing out that it's the same horrible dudes everywhere, you pretty much can't get away from them. Look at Zak S, unless you are in the two communities he is banned from (here and RPGnet) he's everywhere. If you run a gay gamer blog and post something about the Savant and Sorcerer cover being terrible he will show up in your comments like a poltergeist, moaning "OOOoooOOOooo Paaaaaat Roooooobertson" with an armful of apples.

I had a guy who was permabanned extra hard from RPG.net show up in the Korean tabletop gaming Facebook page of all places.

Gau posted:

Once again, speaking solely from my conversation with him, I think this is partially due to this being his first exposure to social issues being a part of gaming. He's uncertain how to proceed after feeling attacked from both sides for what he felt at the time was a reasonable response. I'm not saying that excuses anything he's done, just that we have to understand there is a learning curve and that someone not being with us doesn't mean they can't be educated. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, especially since he hasn't gone through and deleted his previous statements or tried to take some revisionist, "oh I didn't mean THAT" position.

For my part, I've told him that he needs come out with inclusive, decisive statements. Zak was wrong or he wasn't; claiming there is a "middle ground" is just endorsing his behavior.

Yeah I can buy this. As I said, I think he sorta stumbled into a very rough time. Nerves are already being run raw, intentionally in a few cases as Zak S has definately upped his harassment and Pundit has upped his shittiness post-5e. The toxic elements of this hobby have seen 5e as a big rallying point that they were "right," so people who actually give a poo poo about that or are their victims are going to have difficulties with people who claim the truth is in the middle.

Gau posted:

It's also worth pointing out that fantasy fiction (being the largest portion of the hobby) is inherently a regressive medium, starting with Tolkien. The whole idea of the genre is "hearkening back to days of yore when life was better" and not acknowledging that unless the hobbits had penicillin and vaccinations most of them died horribly at an early age, and how we only get to hear about the privileged people in Middle Earth while the peasants' voices are largely unheard. The best part is that some people have twisted this to mean that fantasy RPGs should be some sort of medieval peasant death simulator in a hilarious unintentional parody.

It's worth mentioning that one of the most common styles of fantasy may as well boil down to"White man's burden" libertarian's wet dream. Those nasty foreigners are invading our peaceful sleepy kingdom, but you, the lone Randian hero, can defeat them and steal conquer lay civilized claim to their land and spread your righteous rule as king.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Olde_fortran posted:

Hi, I'm Sage. I'm here to talk about the discussion I've had with Gau Zak, and others.

I entered into this trying to grant the benefit of a doubt in many ways. The thing that most made me question the accusations against Zak were the long line of internet telephone that did lead to some accusations that appear to be based on Gau's experience which are not accurate. With no clear starting point it all seemed like some huge misunderstanding. It was suggested I contact Gau, which I did, and tried to do very carefully, since this could be a sensitive topic.

Gau and I exchanged some messages and he was helpful and open, which I greatly appreciate. After our first exchange on Monday, I continued posting to the thread I started, and misrepresented Gau due to a reading that was too kind: I went into the discussion while trying to give everyone the benefit of a doubt and kind of implicitly assumed there must be some misunderstanding here.

In the meantime I'd sent a question to Gau clarifying some things. I should have waited for his response which made it clear that he feels Zak acted deliberately, that nothing he said was a mistake.

That's a huge mistake on my part. I've already apologized on that thread and clearly stated what Gau said and apologized directly to Gau.

I don't know if this makes me as bad as the rest of this godforsaken hobby. I'd also like to clearly state that this is _my_ action, not Adam's. I deserve all the blame here. He only even found out that I'd done this because people blamed him for it.

I'm new here, and unlikely to be able to keep up with another forum for long, but I welcome people to contact me on G+ (https://plus.google.com/+SageLaTorra/posts) or twitter (https://twitter.com/olde_fortran).

Hello Sage!

As I've stated in thread you came into the discussion at something of a bad time.

I can speak only for myself, but first off thank you for stopping by to chat and give the heads up. No, I don't think you're as bad as the rest of this godforsaken hobby. The fact that you inspected yourself and re-examined your own statements puts you quite a bit ahead of many others.

Secondly, an apology. I got pretty salty myself and jumped to conclusions just the same, and I shouldn't have. Mea culpa.

One of the problems with harassment is that it's so easily kept invisible. There is of course "innocent until proven guilty," and it's decidedly easy to cling to the "proven" part. The only real way to ever get proof is to go to each person making the claim and demand they share the emails or messages or whatever they've received, and even that doesn't work when the harassment is over the phone as some people have gotten.

The (vaguely) good news is that the lovely elements are not, I think, actually growing in number, they're just growing louder. One of the reasons nerves are so frayed is because many of the more toxic elements feel they've been vindicated by 5e, and the general toxicity of ttg discussion has risen sharply as people exalt and begin doubling down on their aggression. There is a good and bad to this. The good is that most people who aren't already a part of this pack see this and never want to get involved. The bad news is that "never wants to get involved" covers the entire hobby. The ugly news is that this is somewhat as intended. Zak S and RPGPundit doesn't want people who agree with him. They just don't want people who disagree with them. Better to reign alone then serve alongside others.

By the same light though every person who IS in the hobby, looks at this, and says "Nope not ok" is actively helping remove that toxicity. Everybody makes missteps (I mean seriously, I've done, said, and thought some terrible things in my own history), but actively trying to make the hobby better is...well, a good thing.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Gau posted:

Man, the nineties were weird in retrospect.

Evil Mastermind posted:

You clearly didn't live through the 80's.

It's amazing I have as good an attitude towards women and sex as I do given how many boob comedies I watched as a teenager.

Born late 80's so I more or less grew up in the 90's. Interesting time. I feel the 90's were to some degree filled with "Ok, let's talk about it." I mostly remember there being a fair amount of poo poo being discussed regarding race and bigotry even with my pre-teen cartoons, and if you were bad like I was and watched MTV late at night then they weren't shying away from topics regarding homosexuality or bisexuality. Granted, ALL of it in the lens of "ISN'T THIS HOT???" but at least I recall there being just as many cute dudes kissing each other as there were girls.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Captain Foo posted:

MTV's Undressed

THAT was the one.

In retrospect it was pretty hilarious when people tried to talk about it while avoiding actually talking about it in church at the time.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Ettin posted:

Now all we need is for Lowtax to unban Aatrek and say he's a Rudyard Kipling fan and Mike might hire goons.

Fuego Fish posted:

Impossible, playing EVE requires you to enjoy how math works.

:vince:

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Reminder that RPGSite has literal open MRA misogynists and once tried to collaborate on organized stalking of the owner of RPG.net out of revenge.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Dad jokes are amazing as an ESL teacher in another country, because they're jokes my students can still understand despite differences in cultural humor, and are all around safe and pleasant and won't get me in any sort of trouble.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Yeah, everything I've heard about Greenwood is that he's basically just a free love hippie child of the 70's who never entered the 80's. Like yeah there's sex everywhere in Forgotten Realms, but that's because Greenwood just really, really thinks sex is great and people should be free to have it as much as they want whenever they want. I'm pretty sure even back in the 80's when TSR was doing their big FR push they had to censor a bunch of poo poo not just because of the sex everywhere, but because Greenwood was rather open about the Realms being all inclusive of various sexualities.

Dude might come off as creepy but is, in the end, just an old dude who thinks sex is great, so long as you're enjoying it with whoever also enjoys it with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Mystic Mongol ran a rather awesome LP of King of Dragon's Pass, which takes place in Glorantha.

Find it here!

• Locked thread