Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

SunAndSpring posted:

So does he just not like roleplaying outside of dungeon crawling or something? I've known a few people like that, but they didn't come off as total douchebags; they were just people more interested in simulating elf-to-elf combat than talking about stuff.

He shat all over Dungeon World as one of those insidious storygames trying to undermine and destroy "real RPGs" for something like 10 pages of some god awful giant thread on his website. This included spitting ridiculous, stupid loving arguments at one of the authors who for some reason wasted a night or two fielding the dumbest loving questions about his game.

Then Pundit went ahead and actually read the game. He crapped out some meandering post that declared "Okay, it is an RPG after all, but it's not a good one."

He's that kind of guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

SunAndSpring posted:

Aren't action points just poo poo like +2 to attacks or whatever? God, how can you be mad at that poo poo? It's like getting mad that you see numbers pop out of enemies in RPGs when you strike them because it "ruins your immersion" or whatever.

They can be other things.

The only consistent part of Pundit's act is that he's a mad as hell rabble-rouser guarding the True Heart of RPGs against a bunch of vaguely defined enemies. Everything about the particulars can change from post-to-post. One minute White Wolf just produces bad but traditional RPGs, the other they are a conspiracy of proto-storygamers/full-on storygamers trying to enact a liberal hippy takeover of gaming.

It doesn't even really matter if it's really what he thinks or if he's an act. As mentioned, his internet tough guy act influences a lot of people seriously, and he's been doing it for a decade or more anyway.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 3, 2014

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

While it's somewhat comforting to remind oneself that Pundit and Zak aren't the easiest guys to just stumble onto, I think it's kind of hosed up that the only reliable solution to avoiding their bullshit is to literally never go to public RPG-talking places ever again. And to not buy or talk about the most common RPG product.

And putting them in the de facto RPG flagship is probably not insignificant exposure, outside the usual gossip circles online.

EF double B

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Reene posted:

This has been said but you can't fall back on the "they're just two small voices in the crowd and totally ignorable" defense when they're being given a shoutout on page one of the one single biggest tabletop RPG on the market that has historically more or less been the voice that defines the entire hobby.

I might take advice on emailing WotC, because that really isn't acceptable no matter how you cut it.

Do you know a good e-mail address? Because I am dubious about the PR e-mail listed on their contact page and the alternatives appear to be a website-based form-fillable that is intended for "game support." They don't seem to have an appropriate company feedback venue.

EDIT: Jesus getting onto their forums is a chore.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jul 4, 2014

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

dwarf74 posted:

If they've done their time and they've rehabilitated, if they're in counseling or successfully concluded counseling, if the situation isn't going to give them opportunities for more offenses... Maybe at a game store? Definitely not in my house.

I like to think people can change, I guess. :shrug:

I like to think so too, but a practical concern is that our system and culture are poo poo at actually rehabilitating people. It might be unfair, but I'm willing to err on the side of immediate avoidance of possible child abuse.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Saguaro PI posted:

Why did you have to ruin this perfectly good meal.

That's it. You're on the Outrage Brigade's Enemies List.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

While some of the most vocal posters might be Glorious Swine Comrades, I think the prevailing opinion is more about making your game's goals explicit rather than assumed, and using that to create a system that specifically and competently pursues those goals. I would say this is something that Eclipse Phase fails at pretty hard.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

EDIT: No loving whatever, this is TG Chat.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I shouldn't have, yet I went looking at that RPGSite thread. It wasn't very funny, but it was amazing to see Zak consistently making posts that don't read like he was hosed up on :catdrugs: when he wrote them. I think like 75% of his infamy would just disappear if he had always posted like that. I wonder what could possibly have motivated him to try to look more respectable lately? :v:

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Olde_fortran posted:

I didn't look for someone with the right tone. I looked for the person who's story had been told to me many different times with variations each time. Hearing the same story repeated with different events each time made me unsure what was really happening.

I think it leads to hotter tempers in this case because, I mean, loving look at what ZakS proclaims proudly out in the open anyway. It's cold enough comfort that some abuser or harasser was "such a nice guy, you'd never think that…" but there's Zak just screaming over and over "the needle doesn't move, you're the real sexist, I asked my 2,000 blog followers, I put you on a list." But, whoa, hold on, "innocent until proven guilty", he didn't say the exact words "I put this specific person, whom I hate, on an Enemies List to give my explicit and full-throated encouragement that they be harassed in legally consequent ways. —signed ZakS —notarized John Tarnowski"

I mean, I like your game, and you seem like a cool dude. I hope you don't about-face or flee because of some continued scolding. (For some reason I thought you were already a goon, but I guess not?) But you seemed to know the general shape of ZakS even if you were skeptical about certain things, and you acted pretty conciliatory about acknowledging that, like you were afraid you'd hurt his feelings with the stuff you absolutely know is true. That's pretty hard to swallow.

EDIT: If you read a ZakS post, roll +:psyduck:.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 16, 2014

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

So this is the part where we, the Outrage Brigade—controlling body of grogs.txt and Paywall Executor of SA—eat our own because of dogfucking jokes.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Spincut posted:

Where does one...start with GURPS? Like, do I just need the first book of Dungeon Fantasy or is there a core GURPS book or something like that?

Help me lose myself in build points, goons.

I think they still provide GURPS Lite as a free download on the SJG site. Take a look at that maybe. It cuts out a lot of options so you can get a look at the system.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I assume there's an element of "you're just like the Moral Majority or Warriors in Christ." People who name their group for being moral or for being militantly in favor of something nice almost always turn out to be huge hypocritical assholes. Except almost no one described as a Social Justice Warrior actually calls themselves that unironically, so it doesn't really work.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Reminder that I'm the Alpha Bizarrely Labeled because I am individually "the RPGnet Crowd" according to GMS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

If it's true that Mearls is willing to dismiss input from those too heavily "associated" with SA, it's hard to feel too optimistic about the effort, even if it all smells like roses otherwise. EDIT: Also what Kai Tave said.

Libertad! posted:

I suppose the irony of that insult is that I never see you post on rpgnet.

Well, I post on RPGnet more than he does nowadays! :v:

• Locked thread