Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
While people are talking about pundit and grogs, there's something I've always wondered...

Why do they even care about new editions of DnD?

I mean, it seems they all worship at the altar of Gygax and subscribe to some previous holy book, be it BECMI, ADnD, 3.x or Pathfinder, so why do they get so butthurt that new editions don't work the way they want? It's not like WotC is sending stormtroopers to burn all their old books, it's not like there isn't a metric boatload of previous content for those editions, and it's not like there aren't tons of people out there still producing stuff for them.

What the gently caress are they really afraid of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Mr. Maltose posted:

The problem with that is this poo poo is endemic to the drat hobby. For every Zak S. there's a thousand people churning content for Grogs.txt, for every Pundit a dozen dudes threatening legal action and private investigators for not putting out a kickstarter fast enough. It's a death by a thousand harassments on twitter.

But you also have to remember that for every shitheel that makes noise on the internet there's ten perfectly rational people who are happy and have better things to do than post on crappy little websites.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yeah, but the happy people aren't the problem.

What I'm saying is that the unhappy people aren't really a problem either. Or at least not enough of a problem that you should give up on the hobby, or cause yourself stress over it.
I mean yes they suck and they're toxic bags of dick-poo poo, but in the grand scheme of things they are beyond insignificant, even their most monumental successes (like getting their name in a book) is still meaningless. Nine out of ten fans of the hobby will never hear about them, and will never care. These are people that will never be happy because their problems are not with the hobby they're with themselves and their own powerlessness in the world.

I read grogs.txt and I can only feel pity for these guys. They will never understand how irrelevant they really are, they're not worth getting angry about.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I think what a lot of people are missing is exactly why they're on the credits page. I can pretty much guarantee it's not because they gave valuable feedback.

WotC bought their silence, and they bought it cheap.
They flew these two wastes of oxygen out to the fabulous city of RENTON WASHINGTON for a couple of days of sitting in a conference room and shaking some hands. Then they put their names in the book and now they have two less shitheads that are going to poison the well on 5e, because now no matter what WotC does with DnD these guys names are on it and they can't bitch about it.

They bought a little bit of positive publicity, and silenced a lot of negative publicity for the cost of some plane tickets and ink.

Let me re-iterate that, these two chucklefucks are so worthless and desperate for any form of validation that putting their name in a book was all it took to buy their silence.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I think you're missing the fact that the overwhelming majority of people who read that section will see it as "cool, Zak S and RPGPundit have been legitimised by the biggest RPG publisher in the industry, that means they're important examples to emulate now."

I think you're missing the point that the overwhelming majority of people who buy the product won't read the credits, and that the overwhelming majority of the small number of people who do read the credits won't give a rats rear end about who either of these people are.

These guys are insignificant shitheads that make a lot of noise in a small room. They are pathetic fucks that are not worthy of my hatred, only my pity and scorn. They thrive on conflict because it validates their insane fantasies about imaginary enemies attacking them and their way of life, which makes them feel that their tiny lives are somehow important. Stop giving them that and they will slink away to the dark corner where they belong.

If you want to do something about them follow Grassy Gnolls advice and roll d20s erryday. Make the room bigger so their voices don't carry.

The best revenge is livinggaming well.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Evil Sagan posted:

The advice is good but I don't think we need to ignore that those are bullshit people perpetuating an oppressive environment in the hobby/industry and that D&D associating with them is also bullshit. Please buy good games from good developers and let your friends know that D&D is bullshit.

I'm not ignoring that they're lovely people, and I don't think anyone else should either. What I am doing is refusing to give them the validation they seek by being angry about this.

These are literally crazy people, they spend their time defending themselves from imaginary enemies on the internet. Being angry about them having their fake names in a book reinforces their belief in their own importance. When you treat this situation as what it is, a simple PR move to preemptively shut a couple of shitbirds up, it denies them validation. When you treat them as the insignificant turds that they are others will do the same.

As for DnD being bullshit, I don't know and I really don't care, I've got lots of good games to play already. If you like DnD5 buy it, if you don't like DnD5 then don't buy it. If you're just looking for something to be angry about, chose something other than two guys who are just going to feed off your anger.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

DigitalRaven posted:

"Just ignore them" or "don't get angry" or "just rise above" is total loving bullshit.

I never said to ignore them, I said to treat this situation as what it is, a trivial bit of PR to shut up two insignificant voices.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Gau posted:

More importantly, it lends huge amounts of credibility to them and their fanbase.

I didn't want to get into this, but it's pretty much the epitome of privilege to say "well, despite the fact that these guys have potentially made you fear for your life, they're insignificant overall. I don't know why people are so upset!"

Fine, knock yourselves out, have fun with your boycott or whatever you plan to do, please give my regard to Barbara Streisand when you're all done.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Kemper Boyd posted:

You do know that the Streisand Effect describes something that's completely different than what's going on here, right?

I'm sorry there's not a cool name and wikipedia page for this specific situation, perhaps it will later be called the Gau effect.
Either way, drawing attention to this just validates these people and will have the same kind of unintended consequences as the Streisand Effect.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

While enjoying my firework filled holiday weekend I realized that somewhere my stance on this subject was misunderstood. Perhaps because I'm a lovely poster.

These are the things I feel you should do:
  • Call out awful people for being awful; racists, sexists, bigots of all kinds. This shouldn't even need to be said. gently caress those guys.
  • Enjoy the hobby, buy/play/make good games that are inclusive and encourage other people to do so. Positivity multiplies.
  • Introduce more good people to the hobby. Make the room bigger, so lovely voices don't carry.
  • Discourage people from buying/playing/making bad games, be they badly designed or full of lovely content.
  • Discourage people from buying/playing/supporting games that were created by lovely people. They do not deserve anyone's :10bux:.

These are the things I feel you should not do:
  • Discourage people from buying/playing a game strictly because lovely people were tangentially involved. These lovely people feed on negative attention. They want you to dislike "their" game, and they want to be able to take responsibility for you disliking it. Deny that to them.
  • Give up on the hobby because there are lovely people in it. We need good people, and I will miss you.

Pointing out after the fact that lovely people were involved in a game that has already been established as bad is completely optional.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Licensed RPGs are generally a losing proposition unless you already have a full time licensed product team (like say, Lucasarts does). Unlike action figures, apparel or even a board game, reviewing RPG material takes a lot of time, the the people at most entertainment companies qualified to do that are busy doing things that actually make the company money.

The money made is minuscule, and the potential to damage your brand/confuse your fans is very high. Add to that what other people have mentioned about the fans, and the fact that most RPG publishers are notoriously unprofessional so unless somebody at the company really wants to do it as a passion project licensed RPGs are more trouble than they're worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

neonchameleon posted:

What is it about tabletop gaming? Not what you think. Few other hobbies allow you such a tour through peoples' fantasies. If you're involved in model railways you don't have to hear about anything other than what they think about model railways. If you're interested in birdwatching what they think about politics doesn't matter. RPGs are right up there with fiction in encouraging Author Tracts and people to display what they really believe.

Are you telling me that model railroaders don't craft elaborate stories about all the kinky sex that's happening in the sleeper car?

• Locked thread