Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

SunAndSpring posted:

So why does the Pundit thinks that a bunch of obscure semi-RPGs are somehow going to take over mainstream tabletop gaming?
Because they are increasingly popular and the old mainstays are burdened by poor management. It's not a ridiculous notion that in 10 years we will all be playing (games descended from) storygames. It may not come true - I certainly wouldn't toxx for it - but the trend is there. If he conflates it with liberalism, as he seems to have done, then it's not surprising he would see it as taking over. Liberal ideas are ascendant right now in much of the world.

SunAndSpring posted:

Just read his blog, and I'm confused as all hell. In one post, he says, "Hey, if you're gay, come to Uruguay! They're really friendly and pro-gay here!" and another goes "If a girl is at a con and she isn't being paid to go there, she's probably an actual gamer and you should stop being a creepy gently caress", but in another post, he's ranting about how gays and feminists are destroying gaming via really obscure games and one-off paragraphs included in some source books. gently caress me, I feel like I've been trolled somehow.

Terrible people aren't always terrible. Stopped clock and all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Quarex posted:

And I keep flipping back and forth from my picture to the Wikipedia picture ... is that him?
I... don't think so? The guy in the 2002 picture looks older than the wiki picture of Desborough, and I have reason to believe that the wiki picture is somewhat recent. The wiki picture of him looks just like he did in an interview I watched last year where he talked about how rape is totally a great plot device! He was even wearing the same terrible hat.

I think your awkward gencon dealer is just an awkward dude. I'd probably feel awkward if I was selling a book called "The Slayer's Guide to Female Gamers" too.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Mouse Guard is the only Burning Wheel based game that's worth a poo poo.

Them's fightin' words.

Burning Empires, yeah, I don't really get it. And nobody will play it with me either. So meh. Same with Freemarket. I can't really say that they are worth a poo poo.

But Burning Wheel is the greatest high-complexity RPG bar none, and as of the Gold edition where they finally figured out a reasonable positioning system there is nothing comparable to "Fight!" in the entire industry.

(I'm ready to be proven wrong on that last part, but I've never seen a fight system that has that level of tension and tactics without garbage rules cruft and without a grid and HP - and it's fast to play, too!)

Mouse Guard is the loving greatest, though. I'd never get my non-rpg friends into BW, but MG it's been no problem. Simplicity beats crunch on that score.

Edit: Also, I prefer the BW sensibility of fail-forward to the FATE version. They're obviously similar notions, but the details mesh better with my style in BW. Certainly I think it's good to have both concepts in your DMing toolbox. FATE is pulpier, which isn't better or worse - just different.

Jimbozig fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jul 8, 2014

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Thanlis posted:

Tabletop designers who want to make a living wind up in computer games.

I think people here are being too quick to attribute this to bad fans or bad community. Small market is definitely a factor, but I'd say there's more. The simple fact is that roleplaying is cheap. For the price of one book you can get hours and hours of fun fun you AND your friends. Honestly, think of one RPG session with a GM and 4 players. If you had all gone to the movies instead you'd have spent enough to buy at least two RPG books. But two RPG books last you way more than one session.

And you can't game every day either - you can probably only get your gaming buddies together once a week and once you've all got jobs that becomes even tougher! By contrast, you can easily play a videogame every day.

There are many factors, but the simple outcome is that even many of the posters here - ones who care a bunch about roleplaying and prefer it to videogames - spend more money on videogames than they do on tabletop games.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Hey, I'm finding all this talk interesting, if a bit heated, so I'm not trying to change the subject. Keep on keepin' on. But I'd also like to get some conversation going about traps.I saw it get started up a couple pages back but then die off. A few of you have heard that I'm back to work on SBBQ and intending to publish it soon. Ferrinus is doing art for me and he's got a really cool cartoony style that's a great fit for the rather un-serious tone of the game, and I've got another goon lined up to do layout and editing if I can afford to pay her. So I'm excited about that. But on my to-do list is include a bunch of sample traps. And I can't for the life of me think of good ones! I've got the hidden pit, the room filling with water/poison gas, the trash compactor from star wars, everything in the Indiana Jones movies ... and then I'm out of ideas. When I google around for ideas everything seems ridiculously contrived like some insane rube goldberg contraption. Simple Save or Ouch traps are okay, but a bit boring - they only serve to either give the trap-finder something to do, or to wear down party resources. How do I make traps more interesting without getting into "insane wizard with too much time on her hands" territory?

Fake edit: Here's the first piece Ferrinus made.

• Locked thread