Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

George A. F. Martin's

GAME OF WINGS

Game of Ergonomic Office Chairs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mud Shark
May 12, 2012

Dead Reckoning posted:

Why do you make daddy hit you?

I only joined for the free shirt

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Mud Shark posted:

I only joined for the free shirt

Sucker. I got a key ring and coffee mug with my shirt.

And a college education.

And the opportunity to fight for my country support dudes killing brown people for cheaper gas.

Unfortunately its still $3.85 a gallon. But we got that killing thing done pretty well!

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~

Genocide Tendency posted:

Sucker. I got a key ring and coffee mug with my shirt.

And a college education.

And the opportunity to fight for my country support dudes killing brown people for cheaper gas.

Unfortunately its still $3.85 a gallon. But we got that killing thing done pretty well!

Military benefits and war veteran credit without the PTSD or the pain and suck of actually have to be a grunt? I'd say you made out pretty well.

The next thing you need to do is sell out to one of those rich, hawkish conservative types who want to hire or do business with you because you're a patriotic war veteran and not a "typical lazy, entitled millennial".

Mud Shark
May 12, 2012
It's really one step towards my ultimate dream of being like Tom Arnold in the movie McHale's Navy before all of the fighting where he was just a cool dude living a dope rear end life on an island and maybe I'll direct the occasional air traffic there. I will also need to find a baseball team made up of poor local children that I can coach.

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~
Yeah man, if you can get stationed in a good place, you will have won at the Air Force. You are in one of the few jobs where you are going to get handed basically all the credentials you need for a really lucrative career once you leave.

Just don't gently caress it up.

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

"Hey, did you see my game against the Detroit Lions?"
I didn't get poo poo from my DEP people. What the gently caress

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
You will develop mental health and substance abuse issues inside of a decade and are many orders of magnitude more likely to kill yourself and or someone else in your lifetime.

Congratulations, you are a future U.S. Veteran. And that doesn't even count being in ATC.

You can re-roll for initiative but frankly god doesn't play with dice and you were hosed from the word go, man.

Mud Shark
May 12, 2012

Jaysus posted:

I didn't get poo poo from my DEP people. What the gently caress

Nowadays you get a really nice backpack (like legit it's as good as anything you could buy for less than $75), and they pretty much just take you into the "free poo poo room", tell you to open it and just start stuffing it full of AF branded crap. Probably 80% of it is throwaway but there are a few treasures.

I'll be 33 at the end of my first enlistment which is too old to be hired as an FAA ATC, so hopefully the contract ATC market will be alive and well by then.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Unless things have changed, the "under 31" rule doesn't apply if you have ATC experience in the military. I know of one person who was over 40 when hired on, but that was several years ago. I don't know if there's a min age or not.

Mud Shark
May 12, 2012

Godholio posted:

Unless things have changed, the "under 31" rule doesn't apply if you have ATC experience in the military. I know of one person who was over 40 when hired on, but that was several years ago. I don't know if there's a min age or not.

Oh awesome. Thanks - I'll look into this. It would be great to stay in the states although picking up a contract in the Caribbean would be irresistible.

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

Mud Shark posted:

Nowadays you get a really nice backpack (like legit it's as good as anything you could buy for less than $75), and they pretty much just take you into the "free poo poo room", tell you to open it and just start stuffing it full of AF branded crap. Probably 80% of it is throwaway but there are a few treasures.

I'll be 33 at the end of my first enlistment which is too old to be hired as an FAA ATC, so hopefully the contract ATC market will be alive and well by then.

Ah, well you won't need that backpack when you're out on the GI Bill, anyway. You're gonna want your ABU backpack for that for sure.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The AF gave me two formal encounters with a man named Dick Butts so I think I've gotten my money's worth.

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

The AF gave me two formal encounters with a man named Major Johnson and Major Wood so I think I've gotten my money's worth.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

Rekinom posted:

Military benefits and war veteran credit without the PTSD or the pain and suck of actually have to be a grunt? I'd say you made out pretty well.

The next thing you need to do is sell out to one of those rich, hawkish conservative types who want to hire or do business with you because you're a patriotic war veteran and not a "typical lazy, entitled millennial".

I was EOD initially, nearly killed myself on a range so I can't really hear well anymore. I broke so much poo poo and had my body fall apart during my enlistment that they medically discharged me. Apparently the VA is telling me I have PTSD too. I guess from the range accident. Idfk. All I know is I keep being told I'm gonna get PAID when they approve my VA rating.

But I didn't get a sweet rear end vet ride from corporate America. I actually have to bust my rear end at work. But they did see it fit to put me in charge of my shift for my department. Of one person. For the entire state.

Obama Africanus posted:

You will develop mental health and substance abuse issues inside of a decade and are many orders of magnitude more likely to kill yourself and or someone else in your lifetime.

Congratulations, you are a future U.S. Veteran. And that doesn't even count being in ATC.

You can re-roll for initiative but frankly god doesn't play with dice and you were hosed from the word go, man.

This should be in every "should I enlist" thread.

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

The thing that sucks about the military is how much stupid poo poo you do while drinking alcohol. Unfortunately, the only way to make it through an enlistment is to become an alcoholic.

Mud Shark
May 12, 2012

The AF gave me two formal encounters with a man named Dick Butts so I think I've gotten my money's worth.

drat I can only hope that my enlistment is as productive

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

If you get out without A-owing the AF any money or B-the AF owing you any money, call it a win.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Jaysus posted:

The thing that sucks about the military is how much stupid poo poo you do while drinking alcohol. Unfortunately, the only way to make it through an enlistment is to become an alcoholic.

I don't see how this sucks at all.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I've been acting exec for a while and drinking is a pretty pro way to make me feel better about pulling 12-hour days for weeks on end just doing routine paperwork

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

found out today that one of my coworkers was a passenger on this flight :stare:

http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19991210-0

said the guy two rows in front of him took a bunch of rivets to the head and died slowly after the belly flop

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What a riveting anecdote.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

:golfclap:

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you

Cojawfee posted:

Nailed it.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Sounds like dude's got a few screws loose.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Seems like he was really involved in a fatal aircraft accident. :heysexy:

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

dscruffy1 posted:

Seems like he was really involved in a fatal aircraft accident. :heysexy:

YOU ARE MOST LIKELY AUTISTIC

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

found out today that one of my coworkers was a passenger on this flight :stare:

http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19991210-0

said the guy two rows in front of him took a bunch of rivets to the head and died slowly after the belly flop

One of the three fatalities was a pilot from my squadron. We still find some of his stuff around the building once in a while, which is weird.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Obama Africanus posted:

YOU ARE MOST LIKELY AUTISTIC

A Boeing 777 airliner was tragically destroyed today by a mobile, radar-guided surface to air missile likely fired from a Buk missile system. The missile may have been traveling at over 3000 feet per second. The light aluminum fuselage of the Boeing 777 was punctured by shrapnel around the cockpit, and the resulting depressurization tore a larger hole in the cockpit. The failure of the pilots to maintain consciousness may have contributed to the destruction of the aircraft.

295 people also died at the same time.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Why the gently caress is everyone calling it the Buk? Putin hasn't conquered the world yet, you commie shits. It's an SA-11.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Dirty commie SAMs.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

One of the three fatalities was a pilot from my squadron. We still find some of his stuff around the building once in a while, which is weird.
If I had some heads up that I was going to die I'd have poo poo hidden all over the place so people would be finding it 20 years later.

AchmedTheSnake
Apr 6, 2006
This title is clever.
Sooo, hypothetically speaking, if someone got an enlistment bonus and got out sooner than the contract would they have to pay that back? There is a dude I know who is getting out(honorably) after some trouble and apparently they don't care enough to make him pay it back. Is it a luck thing?

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

AchmedTheSnake posted:

Sooo, hypothetically speaking, if someone got an enlistment bonus and got out sooner than the contract would they have to pay that back? There is a dude I know who is getting out(honorably) after some trouble and apparently they don't care enough to make him pay it back. Is it a luck thing?

We kicked a first term airman out for heroin and he kept his bonus.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It's a luck thing. I guess for once there's a good thing to come from finance being completely gutted.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Casimir Radon posted:

If I had some heads up that I was going to die I'd have poo poo hidden all over the place so people would be finding it 20 years later.

Literal poo poo? Because I can get behind that.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

AchmedTheSnake posted:

Depends on the discharge.

I got med boarded and they tried to reclaim my bonus. gently caress THAT poo poo. Fought it and won.

On the other hand a dude I was buddies with force shaped his way out and had to repay part of his.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

For those that have been med boarded out, how long after you had your visit at Andrews/VA assessment did you find out your percentages and all that? I went in late June and was told 6-12 months from that point, but have since checked in two patients that went about two months before me that are already out processing with ratings of 70 and 90 percent for knee and shoulder issues and fibromyalgia respectively. I had aortic valve repair and am hoping to get at least something close to that.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

GoGoGadget posted:

For those that have been med boarded out, how long after you had your visit at Andrews/VA assessment did you find out your percentages and all that? I went in late June and was told 6-12 months from that point, but have since checked in two patients that went about two months before me that are already out processing with ratings of 70 and 90 percent for knee and shoulder issues and fibromyalgia respectively. I had aortic valve repair and am hoping to get at least something close to that.

No idea. I suspended my claim so I could try to get back in under a branch change to the Army. For a decade.

In other news I am really fuckin stupid.

Right now they are trying to decide what is going to be service connected. Understand, they don't owe you for your valve repair. They owe you for every fuckin thing that is service connected. So the valve, your bad hearing, your eye sight if you hosed that up like I did, joints, lungs, PTSD, ect.. Make them PAY YO rear end FOR ERRYTHING. Even if it takes a couple years. And remember. If you think you are getting screwed, you are, so be ready to go back a few times.

And for the love of christ, get an advocate or if you have a law firm who helps with VA claims for free (believe it or not there are a bunch out there) USE THEM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

I have been in this horrible clinic my entire enlistment, I haven't really been too damaged by my military service. Except I take medication for depression now, so there is that!

• Locked thread