Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Hey, TACAIR douches, how often do you guys exercise integrating into USN air defense structures? If you have, how similar are Navy and Air Force TTPs and what not? In general, how much do they teach you guys about CSG OPS?

I ask because I'm a dork, and routinely read through Weapons School papers and it seems to me that the authors of them are only vaguely aware that the Navy exists at all, let alone how it operates.

Edit: I guess ABM nerds can answer the question too.

ManMythLegend fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jul 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Godholio posted:

The Weapons School emphasizes Air Force assets because the AF will almost always have the preponderance of air assets. The Navy and Marines combined were a drop in the ATO bucket for OEF and OIF. They might own the show initially but eventually the US will get basing capability in the area and almost immediately outnumber the Navy's assets even with two carriers in the area.

I get that. I guess what I was trying to say is that specifically in papers that deal with integration with Navy assets, a lot of what they are talking about isn't correct.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

krispykremessuck posted:

start talking to the authors. get that silver oakleaf or eagle or whatever the gently caress grade you are

And sully myself with effort? Get out of my sight you filthy vermin.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Godholio posted:

Ah. Honestly, from what I've seen in the 8th WPS (the C2 squadron of the Weapons School) the trend has finally caught on to send decent human beings who genuinely want to get this poo poo right and aren't afraid to learn. Try emailing them. If any of the wrong stuff was written by a C2 dude you can run the name by me...I know a lot of the guys who've gone through in the past couple of years. Hell, I instructed half of them, which is probably why they're getting poo poo wrong.

I'll have to go back and look, but in general it's lots of small stuff spread out across squadrons and papers. The one I saw today that got me thinking about it was from a 15E guy, so I realize that he's kind of out of his element when he's talking about battle space management. Also, I doubt there is any resident USN knowledge out there at the Weapons School so it's probably just guys fumbling around through whatever pubs they can dig up on SIPR.

Truly I was just curious how much they teach you guys about how the Navy works given how many eggs are getting put in the Air-Sea Battle basket. I know from my side of the house, we get exactly zero training on how the Air Force does business, but the SWO community in general doesn't even pretend to try and teach real jointness until the senior O4, junior O5 level.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

krispykremessuck posted:

well obviously I meant task some ensign with it, jeez are you sure you're an officer

Well since you Neanderthals normally operate only at the explicit level of discourse I wasn't expect you to make implicit statements amidst your grunts and smashing of keys.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

krispykremessuck posted:

no I speak officer and neanderthal fluently at this point

Then it looks like I need to alert your masters.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Godholio posted:

I can only speak to my career field, really, but it's not terribly in-depth. We'd get tactical-level stuff, what we need to know for the mission in question, and some generalities. IE, F-18 intercept timeline, their comm priorities, that kind of thing. Legit joint ops stuff is touched on in PME a little, but again, nothing in depth (it's a waste of time in that environment, anyway). The good stuff comes from actually talking to people from the other services and working with them overseas or in exercises. Although we used to send instructors to the NSAWC course, and they would be the resident experts on naval ops. But we're talking...maybe 3 or 4 people out of five squadrons. A couple of WTI grads, too. I don't recall any Navy folks at the WS any of the times I was there...it seems odd now that I think about it, because AF people teach at NSAWC. I know one that's there now.

You're an AWACS type ABM right?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I get the feeling that you guys are like the SWOs of the Air Force. I know that feel bro. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I'm unsure though, because as a rule I generally don't like SWOs but you guys seem cool.

:smith::hf::smith:

• Locked thread