Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Sir Lucius posted:

I feel like being in the Navy is just a job. I also feel like any extra hours spent outside of work with my co-workers is just potential to get in trouble for something. I can't wait to fill out the command climate survey and talk about how much I don't care about my shipmates.

One of the nice things about being a nuke was that it was pretty much impossible to get in trouble in town with your coworkers, because if you were in town that meant they were on duty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Maybe 1/3 of my awards showed up in NDAWS, and now I think it can't even find me. The command has like an eight year window in NDAWS where no unit awards are recorded, including several deployments where at the least GWOTEX would've been automatic.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

poopkitty posted:

LOL. My last advancement numbers were 7%. MUTHERFUCKING SEVEN. gently caress you guys and your entitled wives and nicer housing.

Isn't this in a community that often can't remember how to administer chewable Motrin

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

orange juche posted:

Please tell me they don't have to read the directions seriously.

Depends on if you're talking the bottle or the MRC

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

poopkitty posted:

Really? Have I not been spelling correctly? I am not a corpsman.

Coulda sworn you were one of our clinic criers, my bad

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Poopkitty is one of our :chiefsay:

Fine, fine, my bad, chief

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
But then how would they know if you've been injected with Communism????

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I spent a few months shipwrecked in Portsmouth. If you're in Norfolk for a non-permanent stint and you're bothering looking for fun outside of a bar (or the beach) I don't know why you're in the Navy

Some good Mongolian BBQ joints too but that's about it

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Calling attention on deck when the CO or other senior officer comes by if nothing else to clear the drat walkway is the norm on ships, not the exception.

I don't think I ever heard 'attention on deck' on my fast boat, except as a joke to gently caress with butterbar ringknockers.

We -might- have said something like 'captain on the conn' but I don't remember. We did pipe him on/off in port, though. (Also piped butterbar ringknockers, to gently caress with them.)

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

krispykremessuck posted:

im pretty sure even people who aren't in the navy knew what they meant

I've never heard 'shooters' refer to anything but a dive bar

I could see 'the SWO community' calling attention on deck if a captain walked into a joint like that

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

poopkitty posted:

I have never been to a non-boring classroom based Navy course.

Calling it 'classroom based' is perhaps a stretch, since it's almost entirely labs, but ETMS is pretty fun. It helps that if you're good and fast at the labs you can be home before lunch. I can see it sucking rear end if you and your lab partners are a bunch of rocks, but there's no real way to avoid that.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Any class not on the boat was a good class, excluding eog school. That was not worth it.

This is true. Also ETMS was one of the few schools where the staff would throw a shitfit if the boat was still making you stand duty (which they all did.)

When I was a nub my chief (who was the boat's schools CPO or whatever at the time) threw me and another RC-div nub into the fiber optics repair course, even though I'm pretty sure our boat didn't have a single fiber. It was pretty funny to be two ET3s and be blazing through all the labs and watching the comm ETCS's flop and twitch and demonstrate stunning ignorance of basic troubleshooting guidelines or procedural compliance.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
The navy buys the cheapest poo poo coffee that's less beans and more roots and twigs, and somehow even if you steal the officer's mess Starbucks cans the coffee ends up like poo poo. It doesn't help that the goat locker's idea for making awful coffee taste better is to add more scoops until it's drat near coming out the top of the filter. When I was in I'd drink Mountain Dew in port and bring teabags for underway, even lousy tea was better than the slag that came out of the engine room coffee pot.

Never washing your mug is legit, though.

Port calls in Brobdingnag were always the worst

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

(5 pound can of Hill Bros).

Roots and twigs

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
A reminder that I had to deal with not one, but two butterbar nukes with USNA English degrees

E: One of which had an obvious and crippling stuttering problem. These guys made nuke officer

Snowdens Secret fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 26, 2014

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

vulturesrow posted:

To get nuke out of the Academy you have to have really excellent grades in your technical classes. You have to take a fair amount of math and engineering even as an English major. And you still have to go through the interview up in DC.

I know how the system theoretically works, but in this case it gave us a guy who had such difficulties passing his BEQ quals he wrote a Navy-shaming book about it, and an EOOW who quite literally choked uncontrollably if running drills with an O-4+ in maneuvering (I can only imagine what he was like on the conn)

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

vulturesrow posted:

I'm just trying to figure if you think it's something specific to the Academy.

That's not the tack of conversation I was taking, but to be honest I'm not sure what procedures / options the service academies have if an already enrolled student proves to be academically acceptable but fairly obviously isn't cut out to be a leader of men. At the least the stutterer really wasn't cut out for, far as I can tell, anything unrestricted line.

This was also '04 timeframe so you're talking guys who got into the Academy pre-9/11 and possibly into the nuke side pre-Iraq War, I'm not sure how that affected things.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
That sounds like a real winner, going around and loving commands out of their systems experts and wizened old hands because they didn't fit the 21st Century Navy's idea of body image

(We've all posted before about how you can't have fat fucks on board that you have to haul out of casualty spaces, but that's not what poo poo like a rope and choke catches)

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Christoff posted:

I'm no old salt but I've never seen someone fail who honestly legitimately shouldn't have.

22% body fat lol

gently caress 'em

I've seen 250+ lb bodybuilder dudes pass just fine

Aren't you a green-side corpsman?

Needs of the Navy, both in terms of body image and physical capability, and in technical knowhow and experience, differ when you're talking between some guy running around in full kit with the Marines and hauling their wounded carcass back to a distant LZ, or when you're a nuke in a boomer doing 4 knots to nowhere for 80 days straight. Or any variety of other situations.

We go over this every few months and on the one hand the Navy wants everyone to look like Cuba Gooding, on the other it wants to put guys short-cycled on 8+ month deployments short manpower, and on heavy in-port shift work and vicious duty rotation, and just magically expects to get both. And then it still ends up with fat useless sacks of poo poo all over the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
http://www.navytimes.com/article/20140723/NEWS/307230055/Enlisted-women-serve-attack-submarines-after-2020

I read this and the question that kept popping to mind was "What the gently caress for???" I can almost guarantee the Navy can't get the female recruitment numbers it needs to pull this off, and you'll end up with empty racks in whatever the VA equivalent of 9-man is while males still hotrack in the equivalent of aft berthing.

• Locked thread