Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

ManMythLegend posted:

In other news, I just got back from an Irish Catholic wedding with an open bar and I am drunk posting like a mother fucker. I think that's still cool in the lounge threads.

Take that, Right Spirit campaign!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Geizkragen posted:

Um ok. Having spent three years attached to said ship: details? I'm dying to hear about this.

Most importantly, was the MWR rep at least good looking?

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

The system is pretty terrible. My Battle E doesn't show up and it's for a whole loving aircraft carrier.

Make sure you're looking at the unit awards section of NDAWS for these and other unit-wide awards. They won't ever show up on your personal awards list.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

So what was the actual percentage of pilots and NFOs promoted?

All the stats are available off the NPC website here:

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/boards/activedutyofficer/04line/Documents/FY-15/FY15%20AO4L%20STATS.pdf

Looks like it was 56.22% selection for pilots and 49.03% for NFOs. That's using BUPERS' messed up math, though, where they divide total selections, both in and above zone, over the number of in-zone Officers. Actual in-zone selection rates are pretty similar, though, 52.71% and 46.45%.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

Gunktacular posted:

WTF am I missing here? so, only 50% of those eligible got promoted? Are they not eligible to pick up next cycle and now they are just hosed or what?

I mean, if its just a matter of waiting another year to be promoted then suck it up.

For O-4, you only get two failures to select before the Navy tells you to go home. They've used up one, so if they don't pick it up next year, they're done.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

Gunktacular posted:

Well, that particular rule would make sense at a 90% advancement rate.

I would hope (lol) that the navy would adjust that rule (maybe 3-4 chances?) if the 50% range holds steady, but who am I kidding? Navy is probably doing it intentionally in order to force people out.

Would you get severance pay if you missed advancement twice?

Officer promotions are generally governed by law, rather than Navy policies. In this case, it's the Defense Officer Personnel Management Act (DOPMA) which sets the rule, and isn't likely to change anytime soon.

They are eligible for severance pay, generally, at least.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

ManMythLegend posted:

Also, I have zero sympathy for Aviators crying about O4 promotions considering having a metric fuckload of non upwardly mobile aviator LCDRs clogging up the URL community's totals is what hosed up the last 3 or so years of promotions leading to a drop in promotion rates and zone tinkering that pushed my O4 look about 2 years to the right compared to my RL year group peers.

As an IP getting ready for my in-zone look at just over 7 YCS, can confirm. RL life best life.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

buttplug posted:

How is 7yrs YCS your in-zone look not below-zone? Don't we typically put on at like 9yrs 1mos average? Haven't looked at the community brief in a while.

I was fairly close to the top of the below-zoner lineal numbers for this year's look, and I'm only sitting at 6.5 or so right now. I'm in a weird place in my year group due to commissioning in December, but being placed in the next YG, which makes my zone timing a bit off compared to most. But, even if I'm selected at 7 YCS, I wouldn't pin it on until sometime around 8-8.75YCS (October of next year to September of '16), probably closer to the latter end, so it still ends up pretty close

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

buttplug posted:

Okay, I get the "no cup washing". That's a thing in a lot of places...whatever. But salt in the grounds? What the gently caress?
A pinch of salt in coffee is actually a legitimate thing that reduces acidity and bitterness of it. Useful when dealing with the sort of coffee you generally find in the Navy.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

DinosaurWarfare posted:

Is it as stupid easy as it seems to get into human resources as a lat transfer noble? The last board results I saw had them open to YG02-12 which is kind of ridiculous.

It's generally as "easy" as it is to get into any other relatively open restricted line community. That's to say, the lat transfer board makes plenty of selections every time, but they get such a mountain of applications that it's still a competition. I would expect to put in two or three applications to the board, at least, prior to getting picked up even with a decent record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

Vriess posted:

Don't forget, there's still the Cyber Warfare Engineer program as well that launched 2-3 years ago. It's CTN work, at an officer rate, without any of that leadership bullshit to worry about.

Be aware, however, it's only a six year career plan. After that, you either get out, or lat transfer to another IDC career field.

• Locked thread