Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Seriously, what the gently caress? That went from normal "you're gonna get hosed by the Navy" to overt racism really fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Boon posted:

So I am at the point where I am sitting down to write essays and such for an MBA application package and I'm completely loving lost since I have no idea where to begin on these essay questions about the field that I'm looking to get into (Healthcare Administration/Management).

So naturally I google things in order to start getting a frame of reference for problems within the industry when I stumble upon something. I can translate an MBA into the Medical Corps as a Healthcare Administration Officer or the VA in a similar manner. I don't even have to follow through on it but at least now I have somewhat of an idea on how I'd approach an essay.

Since we have a lot of HM's in here, is there anyone that has interacted with any of these admin types?

I did. I never worked in admin but I knew a LT who worked there on a first-name basis. He got a dual MBA/MPH from an Ivy League school specializing in humanitarian aid logistics and the officer recruiter told him he could totally do that in the Navy. Then after OIS they put him in a podunk MTF where his job was preparing powerpoint slides based on data from a 1980s unix shell program that can't even save a text document, you have to do this weird print spooler thing. Anyways, I helped him make a spreadsheet once and I pointed out that the linear regression on the graph had an r^2 value of something absurd like .30, and he just shrugged and said "yeah nobody knows the difference they just want to see if the number went up or down this month." Dude was wicked smart and super cool and the level of mouthbreathing retards that ran the place just broke his spirit. I think he got to go on a Comfort/Mercy cruise after I got out though, so hopefully he's at least floating around somewhere pretending like he's getting to do what he thought he was going to get to do. I felt so bad for the guy.

EDIT: What exactly were you looking to find out?

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Boon posted:

Generally, just looking for impressions on individuals who have filled that role. Specifically:
- What kind of position I'd fill
- What entry level is like (and what promotion status is like)
- What the job entails and who I'd report too
- How the experience would translate in the civilian sector

Obviously, most of those are unanswerable if you're not directly tied to it, but the Navy website is of course not very helpful. Also, I'm currently an O3 and will probably do Reserves while finishing my MBA with the potential to put on O4 in that period. So I have no idea how they would handle that situation with a lat transfer to the Medical Corps...

Well, technically you'd be in the Medical Service Corps, not the Medical Corps. Almost all the healthcare admin people work under the DFA, which I'm 95% sure stands for Director for Administration, who is a senior MSC-HCA (O5 in both hospitals I worked at). Promotion is very good for Healthcare Admin folks (every DFA I can remember made O6 and got an XO/CO tour elsewhere), as they are in a group with all the random non-doctor, non-nurse jobs (PA, Optometrist, Pharmacist, Social Workers, etc), who all have very specific patient-oriented jobs that generally prevent them from getting the same kind of command-level positions that HCA people get. Generally everybody else gets screwed on trying to compete on evals with a guy that runs the business side of the hospital, when their eval is pretty much just "I did my job and saw some patients" and the HCAs can write about all the command-level initiatives they started and how much monopoly-money they saved/made for the hospital. Because of the job description for HCAs, they generally get a pile of random administration collaterals as well (command legal officer, etc), since their schedule is less "see a patient every twenty minutes" and more "get this job done" giving them more flexibility in the command to take on those sorts of roles. In the two commands I was at (both small and fairly isolated), they were generally one of two or three at the command in their designator, which combined with what they actually did to make them fairly high profile. As far as I've ever seen, they have excellent marketability in the civilian sector when they get out. Entry level is more or less running the business side of the house for the hospital (dealing with tricare business issues, GS and contract employee management/supervision, etc). Often times due to their role, they seem to end up as the semi-official laison between the command suite and the civilian employees of the hospital. During a gapped billet I've seen an O3 sitting on the executive steering committee, which for any other corps/designator (Nursing, MD, etc) would be O5 at minimum and O6 more likely.

Feel free to PM me any additional questions. If I don't know, I can always ask. I'm still facebook friends with a few.

• Locked thread