Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

LingcodKilla posted:

Oh right. I met a guy at MEPS who actually signed up specifically to get SH so he could get his barber license. Planes on opening a shop after getting out.

I suppose it's no worse than my plan but goddamn aim a little higher dude.

I'm not gonna bag on anyone who thinks that being a self-employed barber is a good life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Christoff posted:

Yeah but I mean SH is so broad there's a chance he'll never cut hair? They get a license out of that?

Yeah, there is that chance but only the dumbest senior leadership doesn't try to get an enthusiastic (non-retarded) guy an NEC, especially if it has direct CO visibility like haircuts or captain's mess.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Christoff posted:

Yes a lot of people still fall for going in as an undesignated seaman or airman. I think there's also some kind of "open" contract were you'll get one of a handful of jobs decided for you at boot camp.

And only the dumbest of that group decide to strike BM because they just love paint scraping and sludge cleaning that much.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ManMythLegend posted:

In other news, I just got back from an Irish Catholic wedding with an open bar and I am drunk posting like a mother fucker. I think that's still cool in the lounge threads.

department of redundancy department

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ManMythLegend posted:

I'm not Catholic, but if there's one thing I've learned about them it's that these mother fuckers love to party.

If you ever go to a Catholic wedding without an open bar, tell the assholes to just go Methodist or something already.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Always take terminal, this shouldn't be a question.

I didn't take terminal because I was starting classes a month after EAOS so it wasn't like I had a job lined up that was paying more. Might as well get full pay and allowances until the last day and then get a bonus check for a month's base pay.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Schlabbalabba posted:

The $10 I spent for this forum membership paid for itself many a year ago when I was told NOT to go nuke. If only there were enough people to tell me to not go subs back then.

How was it not obvious that subs suck?

krispykremessuck posted:

~70% of a month's base pay you mean

anyway everyone is different but unless you were a chief or a dirtbag that no one expected anything out of most people don't want to work up until their very last day

It also helped that my EAOS was at the end of December so nobody expected work done during holiday leave periods anyway.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Christoff posted:

Good conduct medal should be automatic. People freak out about making sure their ribbons are in the system. I could care less as long as I absolutely know I "rate" it but I haven't had an issue with it not showing up yet. I've never seen someone asked to show proof of their poo poo but I'm sure it happens

The system is pretty terrible. My Battle E doesn't show up and it's for a whole loving aircraft carrier.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Octopode posted:

Make sure you're looking at the unit awards section of NDAWS for these and other unit-wide awards. They won't ever show up on your personal awards list.

I was. It listed some subsequent unit awards for the ship but not the first E which definitely happened.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Snowdens Secret posted:

Maybe 1/3 of my awards showed up in NDAWS, and now I think it can't even find me. The command has like an eight year window in NDAWS where no unit awards are recorded, including several deployments where at the least GWOTEX would've been automatic.

What's also awesome is that PERS no longer will let you send in the 1650. It has to come from the awarding authority.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Gunktacular posted:

Well, that particular rule would make sense at a 90% advancement rate.

I would hope (lol) that the navy would adjust that rule (maybe 3-4 chances?) if the 50% range holds steady, but who am I kidding? Navy is probably doing it intentionally in order to force people out.

"probably"?

quote:

Would you get severance pay if you missed advancement twice?

lol

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

SpaceJustice posted:

Does SWO generally have decent advancement to O-4?

It's better due to attrition rates.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

poopkitty posted:

Its usually a black guy, so I feel like this is progress.

We once had a fat white CMEO for some reason. He was also :chiefsay: as gently caress.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

not black enough posted:

So I'm driving from san diego to norfuck soon for a 4 months of school. Never made the trip before. Anyone have any suggestions/ tips? (like don't stop in Gary, Indiana)

How much time are you taking to do the trip?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Snowdens Secret posted:

I spent a few months shipwrecked in Portsmouth. If you're in Norfolk for a non-permanent stint and you're bothering looking for fun outside of a bar (or the beach) I don't know why you're in the Navy

Some good Mongolian BBQ joints too but that's about it

True, the Mongolian BBQ places in Norfolk were better than in San Diego but San Diego compensates by literally everything else about San Diego. Especially that in San Diego you have to try to find sailor joints whereas in Norfolk it's the reverse.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yes, but not always. The XO is often an O-5 as well, and you don't call it for the XO. Usually it's O-6 and up.

In my experience, it's called for the CO (of whatever rank) and anyone above him in the chain - commodore, admiral, etc. But not for random O-6s.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mr. Nice! posted:

If your ship has a bunch of random O-6s on it, then of course you wouldn't call it for all of them. On a DDG or FFG where O-5 is the top, yeah you usually do anytime an O-6 actually is onboard.

When I was on a small deck the only O-6s who bothered to show up were VIPs and I assume that's normal on shooters too?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

buttplug posted:

CO/XO on carriers is an O-6, generally the CAG is an O-6 as well. AFAIK CHENG/medical officer usually is too, I'm sure there are some other floaters.

Yes, I know. I was on one. I was talking about other ships.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

buttplug posted:

Then why the stupid question?

Shooters are cruisers, destroyers, and frigates. Small deck is LPD/LSD.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

vulturesrow posted:

Imma beat this horse some more but I have heard the term in reference to VLS equipped surface ships. Usually though its not used in a generic sense but when specifically asking what ships are available with VLS when doing some sort of tactical planning. But TLAM is a special breed. :toot:

I've heard it used to refer to AD capable ships which today is synonymous with VLS equipped but used to include the MK13/26 equipped CGs and FFGs. Whatever.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Boon posted:

My office is probably the most bougie office in the navy when it comes to coffee. We have three different kinds of expensive beans and a couple of grinders, all for eight people.

We love coffee.

On USS FIRSTSHIP one of the officers was TAD to Colombia and brought back some high quality coffee for the wardroom. The first day, the LDOs were spitting it out and searching for the "good stuff" (5 pound can of Hill Bros).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Sir Lucius posted:

This is an intel command. No one isn't fat.

Jeez, tell me about it. I'm unit CFL because I'm the only one who can score high enough. Last cycle I had 6 failures, half of them nobles.

• Locked thread