Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Crossposting from the Ask us about joining the military thread.

Question, I'm planning on going to MEPs a week from today for the Navy. I'm really, really hoping for CTN to be available. My scores qualify, I've got my Bachelor's(although not in an IT related field), etc. If it's available, I should see it, right? My questions are, if it's not available is the Navy able to "pull" a job, like the Army recruiter was claiming two years back that they could do? Also, what happens if I go down there, don't see CTN, and go home? Can the recruiter refuse to take me down there the following month?

I really, really do not want to go down and sign for a job that isn't interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I don't really have the time to do the OCS route. I'm going to be pushing 30 here shortly, and I'm in a time crunch even to enlist. So if CTN isn't available, and I say look again and they tell me no. I'm going to head home. The recruiter has told me his supervisor wants me to go in with a few choices in-case CTN isn't available, and I've looked at IT and a little at CTM. IT seems like it's fixing printers for the most part, and CTM could be decent, but CTN looks like it has a better job potential when I get out. I'm really, really hoping for CTN to be available. If the recruiter ends up being pissed that I didn't sign anything, can I just go to a different Navy recruiter in a neighboring city, or what? I know I'll end up going to the same MEPS station a month later, but if that pissed off the first recruiter, I'm unsure of what route to take to get that CTN position.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

If I get CTN, and I do well my first 5-6 years. Keep a great record, etc. How easy is it to switch to officer at that point. I think it's the Seaman to Admiral program? Officer is interesting, but when I say time is limited. I don't mean on the Navy's side. I mean for myself. My living situation may only hold out for another 6-8 months at best, and by that point I'm hoping to be in basic training.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I don't think my GPA will let me commission. My GPA slacked near the end and I graduated around a 2.8. It's why I don't even contemplate it. Wish I cared a bit more toward the end, but I didn't and I can't really change it at this point.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Is it true that Intelligence jobs are more likely to show up at the beginning of the month? That's what the recruiting supervisor told me, and I'm inclined to believe him on that point. Also, I scored a 96 on the ASVAB last month, if CTN is available I should see it without any worries right? If I'm not seeing CTN could it be available and they are holding it from me?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Gray Matter posted:

Don't believe that poo poo.

and for god's sake go noble

Should I just say CTN, CTN, CTN. And if he says no, then go home?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Zarc posted:

Not sure if it's the same on the enlisted side as it can be on the officer side, but I wouldn't be surprised if they try and get you to take a hard fill rating first. Granted a rating choice is different than a tour.

I'm sorry, what exactly does hard fill rating mean?

I'm likely going to talk to an officer recruiter sometime this week, but likely I'll go to MEPS and do the thing and see if CTN is available. If it's not, I'll try again the next month. I really hope it's available.

Would October 1st be more likely to see what I want, as that's the beginning of the fiscal year? Or would that not matter much?

• Locked thread