Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
First IA I did had a bunch of reserve Intel types with us and two of the guys were no poo poo grandpas. They were chill as gently caress and many times the phrase "you're my boy Blue" was heard. To their credit they did all the training.

On the reserve benefits topic, a CMC I know retired over a year ago, submitted all his paperwork within the correct timeframe and still hasn't had his processing complete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Which gym was it?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Geizkragen posted:

If anyone here works with/for an LT 1310/20, odds are 50/50 they didn't get promoted. Gone are the days that drawing air was the only requirement for hinges. (Unless you are literally any other URL designator).

My retirement clock just ran off a couple years really fast and crossed out 'retirement' to read ' plain old freedom'

Yeah those O4 results apparently set off a shitstorm at BUPERS according to my detailer buddy but apparently it's still not bad enough to warrant giving me a Growler transition/squadron O4 billet for my next (and final) tour. :argh:

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Geizkragen posted:

Shitstorm? I worked for Pers43 Actual for three years and I imagine he is making GBS threads on and in the mouth of any O5 and below that isn't getting him the information he wants right now.

Nobody I know has heard a peep from the VFA desks. No emails or phone calls. They aren't even answering their phones 99% of the time. The ACCP people are even unreachable.

At least I can take some pleasure in their suffering while I calculate the PV of that pension and cringe.

At least there isn't an oncoming hiring boom coming from the airlines and...oh wait, never mind. At least my detailer is still reachable. I do know they are pretty busy with the DH slate right now.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

idgi

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

TheQuietWilds posted:

Seriously, what the gently caress? That went from normal "you're gonna get hosed by the Navy" to overt racism really fast.

We call it 'the magic of Shim.'

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

poopkitty posted:

LOL. My last advancement numbers were 7%. MUTHERFUCKING SEVEN. gently caress you guys and your entitled wives and nicer housing.

Totally an apples to apples comparison

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

Short answer, yes. The majority of JO SWOs get out after their initial obligation. To even fill the open department head spots they give people $75k and a free master's degree just for another 3-4 years of service. After that point, it makes little sense to not advance most of them.

I don't know the exact numbers, but yes, most SWOs that stick around will pick up O-4, but I would say the number actually advanced is probably similar to pilots. It's just that pilots aren't jumping to leave so the excess has to be cut somehow. SWOs already get rid of their excess numbers past the O-3 level.

The thing about this, and the reason the numbers for aviation are somewhat concerning, is that promotion boards are conducted without regard to designator. It's all URL designators in one tank. So promotion boards are not a tool for managing community numbers. That's what administrative boards like the various screen boards are supposed to do. But what is happening in aviation right now is that we have bled enough people that it's getting to the point where we don't have enough people to fill those spots. At the higher ranks you end up with open O5 billets or 13xx guys filling jobs that are supposed be for 1xxx guys.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

dialhforhero posted:

Hey guys just poppin' in here to say I'm still out of the Navy and have a job and have never been happier and never not not re-enlist. Also: I was never a malingerer, when I got out I reported all medical issues (as instructed), didn't embellish my problems, was totally honest, didn't try to take advantage of the system, etc.

I never expected to get ANYTHING from the VA except a few 0% ratings.

All I have to say is: holy poo poo make sure you do your VA claims when/before you separate because you may be VERY surprised and happy with what/how much they compensate you for. I don't need to go into specifics for me, but I cannot stress this enough.

I.E. Do you have back pain? GO THE gently caress TO MEDICAL AND LET THEM KNOW!

Are you officially a hipster now?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

ManMythLegend posted:

Also, I have zero sympathy for Aviators crying about O4 promotions considering having a metric fuckload of non upwardly mobile aviator LCDRs clogging up the URL community's totals is what hosed up the last 3 or so years of promotions leading to a drop in promotion rates and zone tinkering that pushed my O4 look about 2 years to the right compared to my RL year group peers.

Those non-upwardly mobile O4s (and to a lesser extent O-5s) are the ones covering the Surface Warfare community's rear end in filling billets that they can't cover because they ran off their entire office corps. ;)

And what's even funnier than the amount of SWO's that got promoted to O4 is the number that got promoted on their above zone look.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

ManMythLegend posted:

I'm not arguing about the state of the SWO community at all. Just enjoying some delicious schadenfreude at the expense of the aviation community.

Well I can't deny you that, I know you don't have many opportunities to feel delight as a SWO. ;) The numbers don't affect me; my die was cast long ago. I do feel for the guys that are doing the "right things" and not getting promoted. It will be interesting to see how the inevitable over correction plays out the next few years.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

not black enough posted:

So I'm driving from san diego to norfuck soon for a 4 months of school. Never made the trip before. Anyone have any suggestions/ tips? (like don't stop in Gary, Indiana)

My condolences on having to spend 4 months in Norfolk.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Gunktacular posted:

Norfolk is actually pretty great if you actually take the time to get to know the area.

Are there lovely areas? Yes.

Are there great areas? Yes.

Most sailors are too concerned about bitching 24/7 to actually go out and experience the city or actually have some fun outside of a bar. So if you're dead set on hating norfolk and having a bad time then, I guess I can't change that. But if you're willing to explore and learn the city it certainly has a lot to offer.

Sorry for insulting your special snowflake of a city. Just so you know, I am very familiar with the place and it's not that great in my opinion, especially since the guy is coming from San Diego. But if you're dead set on thinking I don't like it because I'm too concerned about bitching 24/7 to experience the city or have fun outside of a bar then I guess I can't change that.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Booblord Zagats posted:

Plus, in San Diego you can cock block MCRD Drill Instructors at Down Town bars by telling the cute college girls they've been hitting on for the last hour exactly how much an E-5 makes.

At least thats what I like to do

Might have to try this some time.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

Yes, I know. I was on one. I was talking about other ships.

Lol

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Had the distinct pleasure of spending several hours this morning in a car dealership. The salesmen are annoying but the finance guys are straight up loving thieves. I was a total pain in the rear end of course since I understand arcane subjects such as interest rates. I laughed at the guy when he quoted the first interest rate to me and told him to try again. At one point I looked the guy right in the eye and said "I bet you get a lot of people in here who take the first number you offer them don't you?" He at least had the grace to look embarrassed, but did say yes. I swear that there should be a requirement for young sailors to take a week long car buying class before they are even allowed to think of getting withing 500 feet of a car dealership.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Laranzu posted:

Were you right a off base? When I was here as an E3 they tried to sell me a Mazdaspeed 3 at $600 a month payments for 72 months.

I was also a wizard of the dark financial arts and told him to gently caress off.

I just wanted to test drive it for fun.

No, World Ford on Pensacola Blvd. The guys right off base are literal scum for the most part.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Sir Lucius posted:

What car did you get/what intrest (if you don't mind telling). I was looking at the services at my credit union and they're 2% for new cars.

Expedition EL. USAA is currently 4.25, the dealership offered 6.35 and that was when I told them to try again. They came back with 5.4 which I accepted because it gives me the same monthly payment as USAA due to a rebate I got for financing through Ford. I'm sure I could've gotten them lower. They also have affiliate banks that probably could've beat the USAA rate but then I would not have received the rebate for financing through Ford. I'll do that for 4 months and then refinance with USAA at the lower rate.

As an aside, the finance calculator I had to buy for one of my MBA classes made figuring out all the payment info and stuff out a hell of a lot easier than using a regular calculator.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Boon posted:

We're a special breed in TLAM I guess.

Imma beat this horse some more but I have heard the term in reference to VLS equipped surface ships. Usually though its not used in a generic sense but when specifically asking what ships are available with VLS when doing some sort of tactical planning. But TLAM is a special breed. :toot:

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Sir Lucius posted:

drat, you must have a family. I still want my irresponsible Raptor, but I still can't afford $1000/month payments so I guess I'll just live vicariously though other people getting big trucks.

Yeah I have a litter of kids so we have to buy something big. This is the family vehicle; I've been driving the same explorer since 2000. Raptor is pretty sweet, a CMC I know (and an actual really awesome one) who retired about a year ago bought one for himself as a retirement celebration.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Just so you understand the posts prior to mine:

1. Talk to an officer recruiter.

2. If you still decide to enlist, do not loving settle for anything besides CTN. In spite of how they try to make it appear, they have absolutely 0 claim on you.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Zarc posted:

Not sure if it's the same on the enlisted side as it can be on the officer side, but I wouldn't be surprised if they try and get you to take a hard fill rating first. Granted a rating choice is different than a tour.

Also, as suggested in a previous response, I'd recommend trying for OCS esp with a degree. It used to be in Newport when I went through, though last I checked (which was a while ago) it's in Pensacola these days. There is a cripie designator for officers though by definition you'll be doing some management going that route. I'm a former NUPOC (nuclear propulsion officer candiate) myself.

OCS is not in Pensacola any more, it's in Newport.

Zotix posted:

I'm sorry, what exactly does hard fill rating mean?

I'm likely going to talk to an officer recruiter sometime this week, but likely I'll go to MEPS and do the thing and see if CTN is available. If it's not, I'll try again the next month. I really hope it's available.

Would October 1st be more likely to see what I want, as that's the beginning of the fiscal year? Or would that not matter much?

Stop waffling on the officer recruiter. It costs you nothing but a bit of time to got talk to one. Do not go to MEPS until you've done so. Then you can make a more informed decision. dialhforhero is a cool bro that used to be in the Navy and he enlisted with a degree. He just got out and doesn't post so much here any more but I'm pretty sure he regretted the fact that he enlisted with a bachelor's degree.

vulturesrow fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jul 26, 2014

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Geizkragen posted:

We seem to excel at losing motivated, skilled people. It's almost a feature of our personnel system.

http://goo.gl/kmfJ1r

Good book about this very subject.

Snowdens Secret posted:

A reminder that I had to deal with not one, but two butterbar nukes with USNA English degrees

E: One of which had an obvious and crippling stuttering problem. These guys made nuke officer

To get nuke out of the Academy you have to have really excellent grades in your technical classes. You have to take a fair amount of math and engineering even as an English major. And you still have to go through the interview up in DC.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Snowdens Secret posted:

I know how the system theoretically works, but in this case it gave us a guy who had such difficulties passing his BEQ quals he wrote a Navy-shaming book about it, and an EOOW who quite literally choked uncontrollably if running drills with an O-4+ in maneuvering (I can only imagine what he was like on the conn)

I'm just trying to figure if you think it's something specific to the Academy.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Sir Lucius posted:

My command has a chief on restriction because he didn't go to FEP. Welp

Awesome. In one of my old squadrons we put our line shack chief on restriction for sexually harassing two of the female plane captains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Christoff posted:

Was on a Navy base with fat Navy dudes for a while and a ship with (surprise) fat Navy dudes and worked with said Navy dudes

Most greenside Corpsmen are fat worthless fucks anyways

I do feel for the guys that legit work long hard hours and just don't have the time and are forced into a lovely diet and especially sub dudes

Oh is it PRT chat time again? I'm not a big fan of the rope and choke but most of the people that can't pass it are genuinely fat. I'm in the small percentage of people that could potentially get hosed by it but somehow I manage to make it every time. I also have some sympathy for the sub guys but I'm assuming their COs make liberal use of the DEP/OP code to waive the PRT during the deployments. Sub guys is this true or not? I know their schedules even when not deployed are pretty grueling but the PRT instruction is pretty clear on the requirement to provide a certain amount of time per week for PT.

Anyone know the status of the new PRT that was being tested a few years back? I thought there were some good changes in there.

• Locked thread