Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zarc
Jul 25, 2014

Zotix posted:

Should I just say CTN, CTN, CTN. And if he says no, then go home?

Not sure if it's the same on the enlisted side as it can be on the officer side, but I wouldn't be surprised if they try and get you to take a hard fill rating first. Granted a rating choice is different than a tour.

Also, as suggested in a previous response, I'd recommend trying for OCS esp with a degree. It used to be in Newport when I went through, though last I checked (which was a while ago) it's in Pensacola these days. There is a cripie designator for officers though by definition you'll be doing some management going that route. I'm a former NUPOC (nuclear propulsion officer candiate) myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarc
Jul 25, 2014

Snowdens Secret posted:

I know how the system theoretically works, but in this case it gave us a guy who had such difficulties passing his BEQ quals he wrote a Navy-shaming book about it, and an EOOW who quite literally choked uncontrollably if running drills with an O-4+ in maneuvering (I can only imagine what he was like on the conn)

Well, there's the book smart part of it then there's the practical application and not everybody who's smart enough does well on the application as you've pointed out.

From what I recall when I went through, the only hard and fast requirement was a year of Calc based physics and good grades. If coming in under the NUPOC and not academy, there are some other restrictions on when you can sign up.

No idea how it is now, but when I was getting out, the Navy had a horrible retention rate for submarine JO's. Where I was based, only 2 or 3 out of 80 total or so were staying in.

Zarc
Jul 25, 2014

Cerekk posted:

Major doesn't matter for nukes either. Poli Sci, Communications, Astronomy, Music, Business, Forestry Management, all on my submarine within the last couple years. As long as your GPA is good in whatever bullshit major you pick and you can swing a B in a couple calculus and physics classes you're golden.

If you ask me the nuclear navy needs *more* liberal arts majors.

There were a lot of majors when I went to interview in DC. The admiral really did ream the Poly Sci guy though, he made it through, but then refused to sign the paperwork. For the NUPOC program, if you have a technical major (comp sci doesn't count iterestingly) you can come in with 2 years or less to graduate otherwise 1 year. That's the only time the major matters.

Zarc
Jul 25, 2014

Madurai posted:

It's the anniversary of the Forrestal fire. Do they still make you watch that movie about it in boot?

They showed it to us in sub school right before we did the firefighting training in full gear.

Zarc
Jul 25, 2014

Schlabbalabba posted:

What rate are/were you

I was an officer. Served on the USS Kentucky SSBN 737 Blue Crew
(typo'd the first time)

Zarc fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 31, 2014

• Locked thread