Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Just signed my contract for IT and I ship on November 13th for sunny Great Lakes! Just ask the oldest boot you ever seen if he has stairs in his house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

poopkitty posted:

You're going to be a reservist, right?

Yes, yes I am. Going in as an E3 at the tender age of 37.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

genderstomper58 posted:

:stare:

where did it all go wrong...

When graduated from police academy 8 years ago and I couldn't get hired because a shitbird army guy I though was a friend back stabbed me ( over not helping bang some sleaze) during backgrounds for almost three years before I figured out what was going on. Been stuck doing a job that pays the bills but has zero growth. I can't afford to quit and look for a new job because the twins came along a few years back.

Anyways after a bit a research and a lot of talking with people it would appear that the fastest and least expensive way to get retrained for an IT job is doing in through the reserve. Getting a security clearance is pretty huge in the Bay Area job market.

With my house almost being payed off being deployed with BAH is pretty sweet.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

So how many army years do you have going in? How much do you have left until retirement?

I have a good friend of mine that's going to be 30-31 in boot camp soon.

It's an eight year contract and I'm fairly sure I'm not going to resign but you never know.

I have a pretty drat physical job right now and I had planned to be a cop into my late 50s (barring injury). I'm at the max/lowest PRT scores due to my age and it's a joke. 15 minute mile and half, 27 push-ups and 47 sit-ups?

I've been trying to talk to fellows who have gone through boot as old I me and it's been pretty insightful. I'm in for interesting experience.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

It will be like freaky Friday except ill e stuck in the same old body!

gently caress.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

What is cranking. It sounds like bus boy duty.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Ok I got this. Historically they use to be called stewards and the rating was usually all black until right after ww2. This all makes sense now.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah, basically. Some of that job is now done by two rates - CS (cooks) and SH (laundry, snack machines, ship's store, and barbershop).

Oh right. I met a guy at MEPS who actually signed up specifically to get SH so he could get his barber license. Planes on opening a shop after getting out.

I suppose it's no worse than my plan but goddamn aim a little higher dude.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

So it was never brought up during my recruiting process but is it possible to go boot without being assigned a rating or is it something you earn by failing your A school? I'm guessing being a paint scraper and sludge cleaner isn't an actual rating.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Catholic parties are pretty lame compared to black baptist parties. It's the Irish part of your party were all the fun is coming from.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

orange juche posted:

It has improved, now they are black/filipino.

gently caress. He was Filipino. Poor kid.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Projecting his fantasies or reality. Not sure it matters.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Laranzu posted:

By the end of a deployment I was mixing No-Explode I bought off some marines into my monsters to try to stay awake on watch.

It didn't work.

Tiger balm applied thinly under you eye works better. It's how I stayed awake during police academy. Burns so good.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Yeah... I recall a six hour class on culture diversity taught by a captain who said "stir the pot" roughly ever other minute. The dude looked like Edward James Olmos and I stayed awake by trying to count his massive pox marks.

I'm really looking forward to A school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Zotix posted:

Is it true that Intelligence jobs are more likely to show up at the beginning of the month? That's what the recruiting supervisor told me, and I'm inclined to believe him on that point. Also, I scored a 96 on the ASVAB last month, if CTN is available I should see it without any worries right? If I'm not seeing CTN could it be available and they are holding it from me?

I'm pretty sure that's true with all jobs. I waited until the start of July to sign up for jobs and everything was available. I got a 97 on the asvab so I really had to dig through the jobs. I decided on IST and sure enough it had plenty of spots and departure dates.
Good luck!

• Locked thread