Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
We had MCPON visit our base the other day. It was all hands, so naturally I didn't go. My only regret is not getting to hear the stupid questions people asked.

edit: am I doing this right?

Sir Lucius fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Just turn your brain off for boot camp. I mean poo poo, I thought I was old when I shipped out, but you're going to be something special.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I get my uniform allowance in july so naturally i just spent all of it on illegal fireworks.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Corry station only has one gym. It's the gym by the bar. The bar is also a great plae to hang out if you like cheap drinks or dudes.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
the regulation says "shall" and not "will" so I don't have to do it

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I shall consider that

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I feel like being in the Navy is just a job. I also feel like any extra hours spent outside of work with my co-workers is just potential to get in trouble for something. I can't wait to fill out the command climate survey and talk about how much I don't care about my shipmates.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Snowdens Secret posted:

One of the nice things about being a nuke was that it was pretty much impossible to get in trouble in town with your coworkers, because if you were in town that meant they were on duty

Nukes still have their ways: US Sailor Sends Rape Threats to Future Female Sailors Online

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
The internet is not the internet when you're using real name and photo.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Exactly 3 years to go! 2 questions: Do I have to put in a chit to get my good conduct medal? If CMS-ID doesn't have the job I want do I just wait until next month to try again for new billets?

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
So I heard something about some billets being 3 year commitments. If I'm only offered billets that are 3 year, but I refuse to extend, will they just give me one of those if they have nothing else?

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Oh yea, I heard Hawaii you had to do 3 years for some reason. Kunia is like 4 of my 5 only options too.

Sir Lucius fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 14, 2014

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I just like to pretend I'm in a wonderful creative writing lecture sometimes

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

poopkitty posted:

Thanks. Looking so forward to freedom.

(I'm also the CPO that sits next to seqenenra. And the CMEO, but mostly because I was the only female :chiefsay: at the time.)

"Ok, we need a CMEO to show that we are a diverse organization that does not make decisions based on gender, race, or religion"
/picks the only female chief because she is female

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
The command is upset at the lack of participation in the JSA and FCPOA. You'd think the 60% chief advancement rate would be a good indicator that people don't give a poo poo about clique organizations and just have their sights set on getting the gently caress out.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Life would have been so much easier if we had just gone to war with russia

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Ah JCAC. You're never going to remember everything, but the modules they give are still pretty good. Just try to filter every paragraph to a few key bullet points, it's not too often they drill you for nitty gritty details, but if something is written down it could be on the test. That's the one thing I liked about the JCAC tests, if I ever got a question wrong I could look up what it said in the module and see why. It's been 2 and a half years since I've done any of that stuff tho.

If you ever need help with something let me know, I loved learning that stuff.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
What car did you get/what intrest (if you don't mind telling). I was looking at the services at my credit union and they're 2% for new cars.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

vulturesrow posted:

Expedition EL.

drat, you must have a family. I still want my irresponsible Raptor, but I still can't afford $1000/month payments so I guess I'll just live vicariously though other people getting big trucks.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

poopkitty posted:

I have never been to a non-boring classroom based Navy course.

JCAC was awesome. The military tried really hard to get in the way of learning outside the classroom, but the actual classes themselves were taught by civilians who didn't give a poo poo if you were too lazy to study. As a result, the material isn't designed in a way that can be taught with powerpoint slides alone. There was actually some critical thinking involved, and you could actually research the "why" instead of relying on rote memorization.

The best part was people could actually fail. We had at least 4 or 5 sailors dropout from my class when I went through, which was half the number of Navy students.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I don't know anyone under 25 who drinks coffee. We have one kids who drinks 3 giant cans of monster every night. I keep telling him he's going to have early kidney failure, but I think diabetes might be possible too.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Caffeine abuse should be covered by DAPA, but instead the Navy glorifies staying up as many hours as possible. Double standards.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Alright, time for me to get destroyed by the thread. Enlist with a degree if you can get CTN. The quality of life as enlisted and officer in the CTN community in some places is exactly the same (officers get more money, but there's a caveat to this). If you have a bachelors degree already there are programs you can do as a CTN that will basically get you a free masters degree. As an officer you'll have a longer commitment in the military, and you're not guaranteed the same opportunity like you are as an enlisted CTN. This means an enlisted can get out faster, and make more money than the officer in the long run.

There are no guarantees tho, you might end up at NCDOC for 5 years until you put in for an early out using a bullet to your head.

Also, I enlisted with a degree at age 29. I did talk to an officer recruiter first who politely told me I was wasting my time trying to go officer. He wasn't wrong, degrees grow on trees these days, and having a bachelors is like having a high school diploma.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
We had a canned food drive where every item you brought in counted as 1 volunteer hour. Literally buy your way to promotion.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

buttplug posted:

He *was* wrong and so are you. Yes, the job market is flooded with bachelors degree, but so the gently caress what? The military is *always* hard up for people in STEM fields or otherwise technical, infosys-type degrees. The 1820 community (IP) has been under-strength since I joined the Navy, and continues to have one of the best promotion rates in the entire O Navy. Can't speak for IW specifically, but I know the IDC as a whole is always hard-up for new people.

If an officer recruiter told you that you were "wasting your time" trying to go officer, then he was a loving lovely recruiter. I have known dudes with BA's in English Lit. with like a lame-rear end 3.0 GPA who have come into the Navy are now flying F-18s.

Also, officer commitment is *not* longer than enlisted if you commission through OCS (unlike the Academy): 4 years active, 4 years reserve = 8 years total.
I'll admit I really don't know that much about the officer side of getting in. But I drove 2 hours to go see an officer recruiter, took the ASTB with him talking poo poo in the other room the entire time about how anyone thinks they can just walk in and be an officer, and afterwards was told there really wasn't that good of a chance of me making it past a board. I didn't have a STEM, I had a lovely liberal arts degree. So that never happened.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Are CPO results supposed to come out today?

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
My command has a chief on restriction because he didn't go to FEP. Welp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Seqenenra posted:

I've never seen a chief on FEP. Pics or it didn't happen.

This is an intel command. No one isn't fat.

• Locked thread