Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Noeland posted:

This particular chief was a superstar. Got advanced word from his old command and the first thing he did when he got sent to the ship was get sent cranking.

Wait, what? There is no way they sent a chief cranking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

SquirrelyPSU posted:

We did it to ours. Not cranking per se, but sent to manage S-2.

This I've heard of and seen, but never actually cranking.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Noeland posted:

While he didn't actually hop in the server line, he was put on the mess decks, visibly not allowed to do his billeted job.

Was he Mess Decks Master at Arms? I cloud see that being a CPO position on a carrier.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Yeah, the MDMA is supposed to make sure the crew doesn't get to rowdy during meal times and ensure that the CSs and cranks are doing what they're supposed to do to take care of crew.

In theory anyway. Most of the time it's filled by a worthless sack of poo poo so they just stand around watching TV. A good one is awesome though because they make the crew's life a little easier by making sure the simple stuff gets taken care of like the vending machines are filled and there is clean silverware available.

ManMythLegend fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 5, 2014

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Yeah I used to laugh when chiefs would say that guys "loved" cranking in the Chief's Mess because they "tipped" down there. Especially when those same cranks would tell me how much they hated it. The guys up in the wardroom were on easy street. Mostly we just BSed with them about football, movies, and beautiful women all day and left them alone. Despite what everyone says about nobles, most of really do understand how bad it sucks to be a junior enlisted sailor. Especially one sent to crank.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

In other news, I just got back from an Irish Catholic wedding with an open bar and I am drunk posting like a mother fucker. I think that's still cool in the lounge threads.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Shhhhhiiiiii....

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

The good news for you proles is that I didn't drink and drive. A shuttle bus was set up between the reception and the hotel. Use alcohol responsibly ladies and gentlemen.

If for no other reason then I don't want to potentially have to do the paperwork for you because I am lazy.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Stultus Maximus posted:

department of redundancy department

I'm not Catholic, but if there's one thing I've learned about them it's that these mother fuckers love to party.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Stultus Maximus posted:

If you ever go to a Catholic wedding without an open bar, tell the assholes to just go Methodist or something already.

As a Methodist I can confirm that most of our weddings are lame.

I was told afterwards that mine was pretty kickin. The fact that one of my buddies woke up half naked, and up to his nipples in the St Johns River the next day gives me empirical evidence that it was.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

"Hmm, 80+ posts in the Navy thread. I wonder what happened?"

"Oh just some aviators crying about O4 promotions. lol"

Also SWO selection for this last board was 92% :laffo: God have mercy on us all

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Also, I have zero sympathy for Aviators crying about O4 promotions considering having a metric fuckload of non upwardly mobile aviator LCDRs clogging up the URL community's totals is what hosed up the last 3 or so years of promotions leading to a drop in promotion rates and zone tinkering that pushed my O4 look about 2 years to the right compared to my RL year group peers.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

vulturesrow posted:

Those non-upwardly mobile O4s (and to a lesser extent O-5s) are the ones covering the Surface Warfare community's rear end in filling billets that they can't cover because they ran off their entire office corps. ;)

And what's even funnier than the amount of SWO's that got promoted to O4 is the number that got promoted on their above zone look.

I'm not arguing about the state of the SWO community at all. Just enjoying some delicious schadenfreude at the expense of the aviation community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Boon posted:

I thought shooter was a pretty common term? :confused:

It's usually used in relation to TLAM but it always means a VLS capable ship. Small boy is the most commonly used term I hear to refer to CRUDES though.

This post is correct. I've also heard SSGN's called shooters as well, though it is far less common.

• Locked thread