Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grumpicat
May 27, 2005
Mood: Angsty
I see a lot of advice around here for hard up liberal arts majors to go officer. Aside from how realistic that is, wouldn't most of them end up SWO?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumpicat
May 27, 2005
Mood: Angsty

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Degrees held by people I personally know in aviation (pilot or NFO): History, Political Science, Economics, English. I will caveat that I don't have any experience with recruiting or the officer accessions pipeline (other than going through it), but I seriously have never heard of the type of degree making a difference for most* communities. In fact, there's an (apocryphal) notion that people with aerospace degrees actually have a tougher time in early flight school because they're not really teaching/testing for true aeronautical knowledge, just that you can study and remember what you're taught. (that being said, most guys with Aero degrees do just fine provided they're not shitbags)

Ah, that's cool. I bring it up because I ended up enlisting with a degree for a variety of not-so-good reasons but it's working out pretty well for me. I'd rather be a NFO or the rate I wanted but I wouldn't pick SWO over my job. A friend of mine enlisted after college and did exceptionally well afterwards, and I hear really good things about some of the CT rates. I don't know much about CTN but it sounds like you can transition really well into the civilian world from it.

Grumpicat fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jul 28, 2014

• Locked thread