Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

TrialbyStone posted:

So I applied for my G.I.Bill Benefits today, because I figured that giving the VA a 2 year "Heads up guys" to get my poo poo straightened out would be more then ample time for this to get back to me.

I'm hearing more and more about how the VA is absolutely horrible at processing ANYTHING, so here's hoping this takes a relatively shorter time then it would for my chit to get routed up.

Oh poo poo, I just became eligible in March... I better do this now or I'm hosed (one year and a half from now)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I knew a Mustin who was supposedly in that line. He was a loving idiot.

So question. If I didnt take terminal I would get all that pay and bah and bas anyway, but I would also get pay ontop for selling days back. So wouldn't it be best to just take all that money if I have all my moving plans figurd out and I know what the next step is?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Its because of the expense involved with moving people to Hawaii. Sailors are generally not allowed to get married out of basic or schools enroute to Hawaii either, I've seen a few lose orders because of it

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

dialhforhero posted:

No. I don't have a beard, smoke pot, or shop at Whole Foods. Sorry :shrug:

You're loving this up.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
The only exception I know of is at certain staff commands. At USFF O6's are pretty much universally gotten the gently caress out of the way for, but I've never seen attention called for one. That's usually reserved the admirals (and holy gently caress is there a lot of them).

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
USAA car buying service is pretty sweet...

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

buttplug posted:

I have literally never heard that. The SWO community always refers to it as CRUDES (cruisers/destroyers) or amphibs/big decks. :gooncamp:

edit: I thought you meant shooters as in carriers shooting [off] jets.

I thought shooter was a pretty common term? :confused:

It's usually used in relation to TLAM but it always means a VLS capable ship. Small boy is the most commonly used term I hear to refer to CRUDES though.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

PneumonicBook posted:

I've literally never heard that or heard a SWO refer to them as anything but small boys.

We're a special breed in TLAM I guess.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
My office is probably the most bougie office in the navy when it comes to coffee. We have three different kinds of expensive beans and a couple of grinders, all for eight people.

We love coffee.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
It should be a bannable offense if he doesn't talk to an Officer recruiter and then enlists and comes back in here and complains about literally anything. CT_ or not.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Sir Lucius posted:

We had a canned food drive where every item you brought in counted as 1 volunteer hour. Literally buy your way to promotion.

Bring in a ton of things. Then submit for the volunteer ribbon.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
So I am at the point where I am sitting down to write essays and such for an MBA application package and I'm completely loving lost since I have no idea where to begin on these essay questions about the field that I'm looking to get into (Healthcare Administration/Management).

So naturally I google things in order to start getting a frame of reference for problems within the industry when I stumble upon something. I can translate an MBA into the Medical Corps as a Healthcare Administration Officer or the VA in a similar manner. I don't even have to follow through on it but at least now I have somewhat of an idea on how I'd approach an essay.

Since we have a lot of HM's in here, is there anyone that has interacted with any of these admin types?

Boon fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jul 28, 2014

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Generally, just looking for impressions on individuals who have filled that role. Specifically:
- What kind of position I'd fill
- What entry level is like (and what promotion status is like)
- What the job entails and who I'd report too
- How the experience would translate in the civilian sector

Obviously, most of those are unanswerable if you're not directly tied to it, but the Navy website is of course not very helpful. Also, I'm currently an O3 and will probably do Reserves while finishing my MBA with the potential to put on O4 in that period. So I have no idea how they would handle that situation with a lat transfer to the Medical Corps...

Boon fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jul 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
QuietWilds/Bengy81,

Thanks for the background here, that is immensely helpful. It sounds like a pretty solid route to at least begin a career and I will definitely be exploring this option.

• Locked thread