Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Thanks, Joe!

In case you hadn't heard, that's also the origin of the term "cup of joe" for cup of coffee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Also want to nominate John S. McCain Sr for cool noble. His family had a long history of attending West Point. He was afraid he wouldn't make it so took the exams for Annapolis as preps. When he got accepted there he said gently caress it and became a sailor. His career is filled with tales of how he was the man to emulate on the job, but be warned if you ever were with him off the clock. He was a sailor to the T and spent his liberty time in the appropriate fashion. During WWII they needed more men to command air squadrons at sea, so he left his surface job and got his wings. To this day he's the oldest and most senior person to pass flight training. He continued his hard drinking, partying, and loving up japs until the end of the war. Here he is with his son, the other admiral McCain. This is the last time they saw each other as Sr died shortly after.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Boggers posted:

According to the article, this is actually a myth.

They say it is probably and then offer an alternative with no evidence to support either. A cup of joe with be Daniels lasting legacy regardless of truth.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

LingcodKilla posted:

When graduated from police academy 8 years ago and I couldn't get hired because a shitbird army guy I though was a friend back stabbed me ( over not helping bang some sleaze) during backgrounds for almost three years before I figured out what was going on. Been stuck doing a job that pays the bills but has zero growth. I can't afford to quit and look for a new job because the twins came along a few years back.

Anyways after a bit a research and a lot of talking with people it would appear that the fastest and least expensive way to get retrained for an IT job is doing in through the reserve. Getting a security clearance is pretty huge in the Bay Area job market.

With my house almost being payed off being deployed with BAH is pretty sweet.

So how many army years do you have going in? How much do you have left until retirement?

I have a good friend of mine that's going to be 30-31 in boot camp soon.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

LingcodKilla posted:

It will be like freaky Friday except ill e stuck in the same old body!

gently caress.

We had a 35 year old in with us back in 2006. The RDCs will talk some poo poo to you, but for the most part they'll have plenty of dumbfuck 18 year olds to single out and you'll mostly get left alone.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Also no one cares about your boot stories. The best stories are about mentally disabled CSs who get tricked into thinking loving a hooker's thighs was how sex is actually performed.

Carlson was the best. There's also the time that all the CSes and cranks talked him into letting the biggest motherfucker in the kitchen punch him in the nuts for $50 and then everyone welched on the deal. He didn't rat people out, though. He went to doc saying his stomach hurt and HMC basically grilled him until they found out that he got hit in the nuts by someone. Everyone in the galley basically rolled on everyone else.

Mad Dragon posted:

How else are you supposed to do it with her drat dick in the way? :v:

This was actually a woman whore in Japan down in the honch. He was dropping hundreds a week there and she was just throwing some lube on her thighs and having him gently caress that. He didn't know any better and thought that was sex. Like I said, he was a special guy.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

SPACE HOMOS can elaborate further because it happened shortly after I left the ship, but a BMC got in trouble for borrowing money from junior guys so that his wife wouldn't know he was loving hookers or other such things in foreign ports and then basically welched on all his debts. Got fired as a BMC, kicked out of the goat locker, and was made the mess deck LCPO.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

LingcodKilla posted:

What is cranking. It sounds like bus boy duty.

That's basically what it is. New junior sailors to ships have to go for a period of time (usually 3 months) to work in the various mess halls. They clean the messdecks, wash dishes in the scullery, and help out the CSes in generally. Some will be assigned to the chief's mess and wardroom and will help with laundry for those.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Christoff posted:

I don't know what's worse being barked at by an old Filipino CS or cleaning up after nobles or personally delivering their laundry

We made sure the guys up in the wardroom were taken care of. They typically got off earlier than anyone else, as well, because we didn't serve dinner upstairs in port.

The chiefs would talk up cranking in the mess as the best, but most hated it because you had the galley right next to you so the CSes had their claws in you so much easier. That and a bunch of the chiefs were entitled fucks. The wardroom cranks didn't have to clean our staterooms, but the chief's cranks had to clean the chief's berthings.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

LingcodKilla posted:

Ok I got this. Historically they use to be called stewards and the rating was usually all black until right after ww2. This all makes sense now.

Yeah, basically. Some of that job is now done by two rates - CS (cooks) and SH (laundry, snack machines, ship's store, and barbershop).

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ManMythLegend posted:

In other news, I just got back from an Irish Catholic wedding with an open bar and I am drunk posting like a mother fucker. I think that's still cool in the lounge threads.

:redhammer:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Uh, no? Shall is a required thing. Can or may are optional terms. Shall, must, will, and the ilk are mandatory actions.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

You can use 100% of your leave left for terminal based upon your command's discretion. You may also be eligible for permissive TAD for a few days of free leave. If you can take it as terminal, take it versus selling it. If you're using it as terminal you get bah and bas still. If you sell it back you just get the basic pay rate.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

If you don't talk terminal you have to work until you're out. You get your leave back at base pay only. If you do take terminal, you're effectively a civilian and still get paid full pay and allowances until your final day.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

So what was the actual percentage of pilots and NFOs promoted?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Snowdens Secret posted:

Coulda sworn you were one of our clinic criers, my bad

Poopkitty is one of our :chiefsay:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

poopkitty posted:

If it helps, I'm bitter and jaded and tapping out on May 31st, 2016.

Congrats!!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

SpaceJustice posted:

Does SWO generally have decent advancement to O-4?

Short answer, yes. The majority of JO SWOs get out after their initial obligation. To even fill the open department head spots they give people $75k and a free master's degree just for another 3-4 years of service. After that point, it makes little sense to not advance most of them.

I don't know the exact numbers, but yes, most SWOs that stick around will pick up O-4, but I would say the number actually advanced is probably similar to pilots. It's just that pilots aren't jumping to leave so the excess has to be cut somehow. SWOs already get rid of their excess numbers past the O-3 level.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The CWO that was MPA on my first ship got fired by the CO because he was useless and just made the electro. The JG that was running that division took over as MPA and things went much much better.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nah they're just going to take away your break.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

terrez posted:

how gay is this show the last ship

some dude on a boat called the deck to attention because ~CDR Handsome~ walked by and i almost choke slammed the dog out of ptsd

Calling attention on deck when the CO or other senior officer comes by if nothing else to clear the drat walkway is the norm on ships, not the exception.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Christoff posted:

Smaller ships have 0-5s as COs? Right? And you're ~supposed~ to call it for the CO and anyone of equal or above rank? Idk

Yes, but not always. The XO is often an O-5 as well, and you don't call it for the XO. Usually it's O-6 and up.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Stultus Maximus posted:

In my experience, it's called for the CO (of whatever rank) and anyone above him in the chain - commodore, admiral, etc. But not for random O-6s.

If your ship has a bunch of random O-6s on it, then of course you wouldn't call it for all of them. On a DDG or FFG where O-5 is the top, yeah you usually do anytime an O-6 actually is onboard.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Yeah the only reason an O-6 ever came onboard either DDG I was on is because they are a chaplain, the commodore, or an inspector.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Guy actually bought a bag that had twigs and poo poo in it in the NEX in Bahrain when we were there in 11. It was the cheapest coffee on the shelf and it was loving awful.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Once when I was cranking in the ward room I noticed every time I made coffee it tasted sour. I took a look inside the coffee maker and the sides were caked black from never being cleaned, so as a reasonable person I cleaned it out. Made some fresh coffee and thought it tasted normal, but then our EMO came in and said he didn't like it and said that it didn't taste right. He must have been so used to it tasting like poo poo that normal coffee tasted bad to him.

Yeah but EMO was a former chief and they do weird poo poo down in the mess to their coffee like never washing cups/pots and putting salt in the grounds.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Grumpicat posted:

I see a lot of advice around here for hard up liberal arts majors to go officer. Aside from how realistic that is, wouldn't most of them end up SWO?

My roommate out in Hawaii had a degree in music and actually taught jr high band while another good friend's was in sports marketing. Both SWOs. I also have a friend that didn't technically finish his degree, but somehow still commissioned and served 2 and a half years as a SWO before getting medboarded with PTSD. I think he did actually complete his degree before he put on O-2, but still :lol:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

God drat I'd be a LT if I was still in.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

One of my former department heads was adsepped because of failing the weigh ins. He passed the physical portion but could never pass the tape. He was a fat gently caress, though. Got a decent severance, got to keep his swocp, finish out his second department head tour, and transfer into the reserves.

One of the commodores would randomly show up on ships with his CFL and start weighing in khakis. It was awesome to see certain people sweat. Pissed off the captain to no end, but that was mainly because it was dropped on him without warning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Christoff posted:

Hey just don't be fat? The requirements are pretty loving lax dude

Don't give me that "taping is inaccurate you see my neck and this and that"

They're just fat

• Locked thread